The Avengers DVD Set 5 (Series 6) from Optimum

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

torishu
White Dwarf

Post by torishu »

eleganceandthickcurtains wrote:Agreed. I think they sometimes go overboard with the noise reduction software, which results in a somewhat "claustrophobic" sound. But it IS an improvement over earlier efforts...
Certainly, and the noise reduction has been applied somewhat heavy-handedly (as seems to be the norm).

I don't complain about this practice because I realize it's the fashion these days. The CD labels convinced us all that any hiss we hear is a bad thing and should be eliminated at all costs.

Actually, a little hiss is a good thing. You know the frequency range may be relatively intact and the sound is making it relatively unmolested to your ears. It breathes. It's excessive hiss that's the problem -- when audio is coming from third generation sources and worse.

We've also had a similar number done on us regarding film grain. Grain is inherent to film and it's a good thing. It means detail. Wipe it away and you take a little detail with it -- no way around it. It's only bad when we're talking dupes and the grain is multiplied.

Somewhere along the line, we became convinced that grain was a bad thing and the DVD reviews have latched onto it as something they can comment on, leaning negative when they can see it. Grain reduction was implemented to ease video transfers, not to mention easing compression requirements for packed DVDs later. It's since become the defacto standard, even in this high-resolution Blu-ray age.

That said, these sets are wonderful when you take the current fashions into account. It's one of those things we must accept these days and these sets come through much better than they might have; much better than many other releases.
pauljwyatt
Thingumajig

Post by pauljwyatt »

I'm finding the screen tests to find a replacement to Diana Rigg fascinating. Out of all of them i find Susan Engel's to be the most interesting as she seems to be really absorbed into the role although she's probably the least "Avengers" out of all the ladies tested.

I'm enjoying Jaz's informed and humourous commentary on these (mute) tests. I do think a couple of the actresses are channelling la Rigg in these tests. I wonder if they were reading old scripts and were reading Emma lines?
Designer, writer & Filmmaker

http://www.paulwyatt.co.uk
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

pauljwyatt wrote:I'm finding the screen tests to find a replacement to Diana Rigg fascinating. Out of all of them i find Susan Engel's to be the most interesting as she seems to be really absorbed into the role although she's probably the least "Avengers" out of all the ladies tested.

I'm enjoying Jaz's informed and humourous commentary on these (mute) tests. I do think a couple of the actresses are channelling la Rigg in these tests. I wonder if they were reading old scripts and were reading Emma lines?
Yeah, Susan Engel looks so wrong physically but she has something that makes you want to watch. Here's quite a nice photo of how she appeared at the time - http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq85 ... Engel1.jpg

Wanda Ventham is someone who I'm sure would have had a good chemistry with Macnee, though physically a more fuller figure than even Linda.

I wonder if John Bryce wrote a script for the tests (he was a script editor/writer). They're long scenes and it doesn't seem apparent if it's an old script.

I'd totally forgotten that I'd seen snippets of the screen test on Granada Plus until I saw them. I love the minimalist set - it just feels so Avengerish even when they probably never actually did something like it in the show.

Just listened to Jaz' commentary with Jennifer Croxton for Killer. I'm not especially a fan of this episode - I do miss Linda Thorson and have never been particular fond of the Lady Diana character as she feels like too much of a hankering after Emma Peel BUT how adorable is Jennifer, full of enthusiasm and infectiously joyous. I love hearing her share her memories of the work she did on Invitation to a Killing (working second unit directed with John Hough - whose surname I have been mispronouncing for years). I love these little titbits. I'd love to have seen her reaction to the photos of ITAK.
pauljwyatt
Thingumajig

Post by pauljwyatt »

I love the set the screen tests are filmed on - especially the very classic looking Avengers hat stand which looks like it's covered in tin foil :o The sharpness of the prints of these tests is also outstanding. 35mm film - you just can't beat it!

I've begun to realise that the Avengers prints used for the German remastered sets aren't the same as the ones used here. On these the "Avengers in color" sting at the start of each 5th series show is mute and they use the end title sequence audio we're all familiar with for FMK.

I must say i was a bit surprised when the old theme played at the end of FMK and then transitioned to the new one.

I remember a quote from Laurie Johnson in Dave Roger's first Avengers book where he was talking about the "Tara King melody" which is heard "When the character is first seen on screen". I always thought he was referring to the up front titles when Tara is first seen next to the river. It bugged me that you actually hear that melody when Steed secures the carnation in his button hole and not when you see Tara.

So i've spent years thinking what was Laurie on about and now ofcourse i know!

Yes it's silly things like that which interest me...

:oops:

Shanet
Nutshell

Post by Shanet »

pauljwyatt wrote:
I must say i was a bit surprised when the old theme played at the end of FMK and then transitioned to the new one.
I bought a 16mm version of Forget me Knot from a collectors magazine called The Big Reel in the States in the 80s. It had the same audio ending as in the remastered version and the same ad caps.
**In a world full of caterpillars it takes guts to be a butterfly**
pauljwyatt
Thingumajig

Post by pauljwyatt »

Shanet wrote:
pauljwyatt wrote:
I bought a 16mm version of Forget me Knot from a collectors magazine called The Big Reel in the States in the 80s. It had the same audio ending as in the remastered version and the same ad caps.
Hope you've still got it! :D

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

torishu wrote:We've also had a similar number done on us regarding film grain. Grain is inherent to film and it's a good thing. It means detail. Wipe it away and you take a little detail with it -- no way around it. It's only bad when we're talking dupes and the grain is multiplied.

Somewhere along the line, we became convinced that grain was a bad thing and the DVD reviews have latched onto it as something they can comment on, leaning negative when they can see it. Grain reduction was implemented to ease video transfers, not to mention easing compression requirements for packed DVDs later. It's since become the defacto standard, even in this high-resolution Blu-ray age.

That said, these sets are wonderful when you take the current fashions into account. It's one of those things we must accept these days and these sets come through much better than they might have; much better than many other releases.
So there has been noise reduction!! I knew it. I could definitely see less detail in those season 4 screengrabs of Emma wearing her sunglasses in "What the Butler Saw", compared to the Contender DVDs of season 4.

I wonder if any potential Blu-Ray release will also be "softened".
Last watched: "Concerto"
torishu
White Dwarf

Post by torishu »

Franky, I didn't mean to imply that "we've had a number done on us" referred to these releases. I just meant the perception of grain in general.

Be that as it may, while I haven't watched these sets yet (I intend on sitting down and starting from the beginning -- including the recons -- when the complete set comes out), it does appear grain reduction has been applied.

This is standard for DVD releases. Especially when we're talking roughly two-and-a-half hours per disc.

They look great and I have no complaints. Perhaps the Blu-ray releases will "breathe" a little more but I'm very happy with the looks of these for the DVD format!

Added: If the Contender releases came from the same masters as the A&E R1 releases, they were riddled with chroma noise. You could see "color" even in the B&W episodes. I found it highly distracting and unpleasant. Obviously from masters that originated in the video domain.

Black levels were also awful.

From what I've sampled of Series 4, it's been presented in true B&W with no chroma at all and they look wonderful. There's no comparison for me -- the Optimum are heads and shoulders above the A&E in the video department.

I find the Optimum's audio muffled in comparison, to be "fair," but that is the fashion these days and we shouldn't notice it too much when engaged with what's on the screen.
Shanet
Nutshell

Post by Shanet »

Good grief! To my eyes the pictures on series 6 look like stunning transfer!
I've been collecting films (that's proper film in a can stuff)for 40 years and can certainly tell when a transfer has been taken from fine grain prints. The Avengers look stunning.
**In a world full of caterpillars it takes guts to be a butterfly**
torishu
White Dwarf

Post by torishu »

Shanet, you'll find no argument from me!

I think these transfers look wonderful as well. They put the A&E releases to shame.

Love the inky blacks! On the A&E releases everything was a shade of charcoal and we never got any true blacks. And the chroma noise was a constant distraction throughout all the filmed series.