Best Avengers / New Avengers Car chase!?!?!

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
roboman1984
White Dwarf

Best Avengers / New Avengers Car chase!?!?!

Post by roboman1984 »

Hey guys, this is my first thread so still quite new to this. the clue is in the thread title really. I was wondering if you guys could tell me where I can find the best Avengers car chase?!?!?
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Not a fan of car chases myself, but I do like the one in The Midas Touch. Gambit, Purdey crashing through orange boxes, Purdey peeling an orange, both arguing over who directed The Treasure of The Sierra Madre ...
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
oneknightsteed
Little Wonder

Post by oneknightsteed »

At the beginning of 'The Lion And The Unicorn' you have the multi car, winding road, up the hill and dangerous cliff side car chase. Steed shows off his driving skills, Purdey enjoys the ride.
believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if i have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-buddha
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Almost the entirety of "Dead Man's Treasure" could be considered a car chase, and there's the rather sedate one in "Legacy of Death".

I'd pick "The Midas Touch" as well though. The Avengers didn't really do car chases...
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Not a fan of car chases myself, but I do like the one in The Midas Touch. Gambit, Purdey crashing through orange boxes, Purdey peeling an orange, both arguing over who directed The Treasure of The Sierra Madre ...
that was funny and sorta bizzare...
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Welcome to forum, roboman1984 :)

The Midas Touch is always the one that comes to mind when I think of brilliant car chases. I love that Gambit and Purdey are so casual throughout the whole thing.

Another vote for the pre-titles sequence of The Lion and the Unicorn (which was apparently a promotional film for the show that they wrote into the episode).

Homicide and Old Lace - the chase is the car park is very dynamic.
Have Guns - Will Haggle - the John Bryce episodes clearly had some great car chases, the one of Tara leaving the weapons testing, the cars overtaking one another and narrowly missing destroying the camera in the middle of the road

Super Secret Sypher Snatch - Steed being chased by a ladder is so well shot.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

dissolute wrote:Almost the entirety of "Dead Man's Treasure" could be considered a car chase, and there's the rather sedate one in "Legacy of Death".

I'd pick "The Midas Touch" as well though. The Avengers didn't really do car chases...
That was my first thought--the Avengers was never really a car chase show. The "live" tapings of the first three seasons weren't conducive to driving scenes at all, and even when we got to season four and beyond, it was more common to have them exchanging dialogue while driving somewhere, or having something happen to them while driving.

TNA was more car chasey, but then that was a seventies phenomenon, and they were trying their darnedest to make the best of the whole British Leyland fiasco. I have to go with The Midas Touch, too. I'm not a hugr car chase fan, but it's so well done you can't help but love it. The Purdey/Gambit exchanges are classic, there's the lovely little saga of the orange (from crate, to Purdey, to peeled, then fed to Gambit, all without a break in the action or any sort of reference to it from the characters). It's doubly good because it segues neatly from a car chase to a foot chase. I like to think of it as Brian Clemens' way of getting his money's worth from all that fitness training he put them through. "Let's have them run, and climb fences, and tuck and roll, and jump over things, and did I mention the running? Oh, and let's have them do it in impractical footwear." Genius. 8)
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
XR40
Nutshell

Post by XR40 »

Hi. Only one car chase does it for me - Have guns will haggle - Tara shows how to do it in an Elan +2 vs Jaguar MkII...Go Tara!!!!
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

That reminds me of the car chases on "The See-Through Man", which also featured a Jag.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.