Avengers Actor Crossovers on U.S. Televison

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
mjhbuckeye
Nutshell

Avengers Actor Crossovers on U.S. Televison

Post by mjhbuckeye »

On another thread I was extolling the virtues of The Twilight Zone which ran on CBS (USA) from 1959-1964 and then endlessly in syndication, but I forgot its' obvious tie-in to The Avengers, to wit; Patrick Macnee appearing in a small role in a season one episode, Judgment Night. Our Patrick plays the first officer of a doomed ship in UBoat infested waters during WW2 and has only a couple of lines. One of those lines is the only instance of sponser induced censorship on The Twilight Zone. As written, Macnee, on the fog shrouded bridge of the ship, asks the mess boy to bring him a cup of tea (as would befit an English officer on an English ship). TZ's primary sponsor in 1959 was General Foods who were flogging Sanka Instant Coffee on the show and insisted that an order for a competing beverage would not do. As filmed the line was changed to Macnee odering a "tray" to be brought to the bridge.

One other crossover I am aware of in TZ is that of Suzanne Lloyd who played baddie Barbara Wakefield in The Murder Market also appearing in a dual role in the 1959 TZ epsiode Perchance To Dream. I can't think of any others from TZ to The Avengers.

The above occured during the 1960s when Brits and actors from the continent rarely appeared in American productions and the appearance of Americans on British TV was non-existent.

I'm not using IMDB with this, but I can recall off the top of my head Linda Thorson doing a guest shot on Moonlighting and Peter Wyngarde playing a supporting guest role in the last season of I Spy, but that is where my memory fails me. Can you come up with and discuss Avenger lead and guest stars who appeared on American TV shows?
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Jane Merrow and Aubrey Morris both did stints in the US, as did Morgan Sheppard. Those are three that spring to mind immediately as guest artists who crossed the pond to do US TV shows.

Of course, people like Roger Moore, Jean Marsh and Max Adrian all did stints in the US on TV in the late 1950s as well. Generally, it's most interesting to pick an episode of a US series which is set in England and see all the British actors who are cast. Jane Merrow turns up in a "Mission: Impossible" which is unconvincingly set in England as I recall ...

All the best

Andrew
Sam
Winged Avenger

Post by Sam »

Patrick appeared on "The Hardy Boys" in 1976 or 77, essentially playing Steed. He dressed exactly like him, acted like him, and was supposed to be a British agent. They just couldn't use the name for licencing reasons. They never referred to his character by name in the episode, but TV Guide listed the character as "S". At the end, he also goes after a Mrs... that he recognises at the airport.

Patrick also did the opening narration each week to the original "Battlestar Galactica" in 1978, was the voice of the Cylon Imperious Leader in several episodes, and did a two-part guest appearance as Count Iblii. His involvement in that series was most likely due to his lifelong friendship with Lorne Greene.

I remember him appearing in one-off guest shots in other series such as "Magnum PI".

While on the subject of Magnum, Avengers directors Ray Austin and Sidney Hayers each directed several Magnum eps as well.
The Gaslight Ghoul
Winged Avenger

Post by The Gaslight Ghoul »

I believe that both Aubrey Morris and Morgan Sheppard work more or less exclusively in the States now.

The only other instance I can recall of an English actor (and one with an Avengers connection) playing a major part in a U.S. 60's TV series was Gary Raymond who played Masgard in The Three Handed Game, who appeared in a short lived American series called The Rat Patrol which was about a unit of Desert Rats during the second World War. Gary was the token Brit soldier.

Don't remember too much about it, would certainly buy it if Network or someone released it on DVD.
You check the files, I'll check my memories.
mjhbuckeye
Nutshell

Post by mjhbuckeye »

The Gaslight Ghoul wrote:I believe that both Aubrey Morris and Morgan Sheppard work more or less exclusively in the States now.

The only other instance I can recall of an English actor (and one with an Avengers connection) playing a major part in a U.S. 60's TV series was Gary Raymond who played Masgard in The Three Handed Game, who appeared in a short lived American series called The Rat Patrol which was about a unit of Desert Rats during the second World War. Gary was the token Brit soldier.

Don't remember too much about it, would certainly buy it if Network or someone released it on DVD.
You're in luck Ghoul. I just checked AmazonUK and they have Season 1 in Region 2 DVD, or, if you have a region free player, the entire two season run in Region 1 DVD.
The Gaslight Ghoul
Winged Avenger

Post by The Gaslight Ghoul »

Oh nice one mjb.

Will check this out, thanks. :D
You check the files, I'll check my memories.
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

Does the short-lived series 'Diana' count? Both Diana and Patrick appeared in that with a nod to 'The Avengers' as in 'Diana Smythe You're Needed' :lol:
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Pat wins the prize for most US appearences - Virginian, Columbo, Night Gallery, Diana, Matt Helm, the list seems endless....

... and The Hardy Boys is of special interest to Avengers fans as Patrick played John Steed in all but name...
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

I adore THE TWILIGHT ZONE, and I had the pleasure to see well-known actors in it.
The episode with Patrick is one of my favourites !
I've been blessed by The Avengers!