The Complete Avengers: 50th Anniversary Edition (39 Discs)

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Richard73
White Dwarf

Decisions, decisons!

Post by Richard73 »

I am trying to decide whether to buy the 50th anniversary set! I purchased the original sets 10 years ago and then bought the remastered Optimum sets last year. I am not sure if I want to trade in yet again. But the extra disc is certainly making me think! What are other peope going to do? Thanks.
Macfly77
Thingumajig

Re: Decisions, decisons!

Post by Macfly77 »

Richard73 wrote:I am trying to decide whether to buy the 50th anniversary set! I purchased the original sets 10 years ago and then bought the remastered Optimum sets last year. I am not sure if I want to trade in yet again. But the extra disc is certainly making me think! What are other peope going to do? Thanks.
The anniversary set bonus disc is indeed quite tempting, but I'd wait a little bit if I were you.
I'm hopeful that Optimum might decide to release the bonus disc on its own (it would certainly make a lot of people, who bought single series with faulty discs and had to go through the ordeal of returning discs, happy).
After all, Network released single discs with previously unavailable special features (for folks like me who might have bought the Umbrella - or other - DVD's which were released earlier) for shows like The Saint, The Prisoner or Man in a Suitcase.

I actually enquired about the possibility of a separate release of the bonus disc back in March and this is what Optimum replied:

"Dear Mr Lefebvre

Thank you for your email.

We will be making a statement about this product shortly.

Please consult fansites and Amazon.co.uk for more information.

Many thanks

Customer Services"
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Amazon started shipping the complete set yesterday... it'll be interesting to see customer feedback on it, I would anticipate it will have the correct discs as it's completely different packaging, not just the other cases jammed into a flimsy box, a la Contender's New Avengers set (which I love, but hate the packing of).
I never bought Optimium's New Avengers set, was it a better transfer than the contender one? Some of the episodes have... unusual colours.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Tara46
Thingumajig

Post by Tara46 »

The complete boxset arrived this morning, & looks very impressive. I haven't played any of the discs yet, but the Series 5 discs are V3, so hopefully all the corrected discs are present. Discs are a little tricky to remove from the sleeves and have some minor scratches. Nothing serious though. I shall check to see if Legacy of Death has been fixed later and will post again once I've seen it. :)
Killerwhale
White Dwarf

Post by Killerwhale »

Tara46 wrote:The complete boxset arrived this morning, & looks very impressive. I haven't played any of the discs yet, but the Series 5 discs are V3, so hopefully all the corrected discs are present. Discs are a little tricky to remove from the sleeves and have some minor scratches. Nothing serious though. I shall check to see if Legacy of Death has been fixed later and will post again once I've seen it. :)
Glad to hear this. Sounds marvellous! :D
Does the set include the Diana comic strips booklet as advertised?
Tara46
Thingumajig

Post by Tara46 »

Killerwhale wrote:
Tara46 wrote:The complete boxset arrived this morning, & looks very impressive. I haven't played any of the discs yet, but the Series 5 discs are V3, so hopefully all the corrected discs are present. Discs are a little tricky to remove from the sleeves and have some minor scratches. Nothing serious though. I shall check to see if Legacy of Death has been fixed later and will post again once I've seen it. :)
Glad to hear this. Sounds marvellous! :D
Does the set include the Diana comic strips booklet as advertised?

No sign of the comic or the Titan Avengers 50th Anniversary DVD booklet as advertised on Play.com. I'm not sure if they should be included or not. I've not seen these items advertised anywhere else.

The only thing that is included on the Bonus disc is a PDF version of the series 1 episode guide that was included with set 1 (series 2).

It would be nice to hear if anyone else has received the missing items :?
yucafrita
White Dwarf

Post by yucafrita »

Hi,

I received the set today but can't decide to open it ATM. On the backside it says there's one bleep due to strong language. I am paying over 140 quid and there's a bleep? WTF... Anyone with more information on that? I don't know in which episode the bleep is but it should be on the single releases as well.

Thanks,
Andreas
Killerwhale
White Dwarf

Post by Killerwhale »

Tara46 wrote:No sign of the comic or the Titan Avengers 50th Anniversary DVD booklet as advertised on Play.com. I'm not sure if they should be included or not. I've not seen these items advertised anywhere else.

The only thing that is included on the Bonus disc is a PDF version of the series 1 episode guide that was included with set 1 (series 2).

It would be nice to hear if anyone else has received the missing items :?
Thanks. HMV and MovieMail also had these booklets listed. Shame that they seem to have left these off.
Still I hope that all the discs on your set are ship shape! :)
norw27
Little Wonder

Post by norw27 »

Hi,

I received the set today but can't decide to open it ATM. On the backside it says there's one bleep due to strong language. I am paying over 140 quid and there's a bleep? WTF... Anyone with more information on that? I don't know in which episode the bleep is but it should be on the single releases as well.

Thanks,
Andreas
The bleep is not in an episode so don't worry - its on a special feature on the first set.
yucafrita
White Dwarf

Post by yucafrita »

norw27 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks,
Andreas
The bleep is not in an episode so don't worry - its on a special feature on the first set.
Thanks a lot, that's good news.

No extra booklets, though.