"Diana Rigg won't talk about The Avengers"

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:It can't be much fun to promote your latest play only for someone to want to talk about a job you did nearly 50 years ago for a couple of years. It's actually quite rude to keep asking the same questions about it and she must think 'haven't I done anything of equal worth since?'

It's a bit like Paul McCartney promoting his latest album and tour only for people to want to discuss Sergeant Pepper! :)
how true...no wonder there's an 'attitude' concerning the show, etc
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

Allard wrote:
MRotten wrote:Rigg's attitude smacks of being rather ungrateful to me. Here is a lady plucked out of utter obscurity, and she lands a starring role in a series that goes from being a sensation in England to a worldwide phenomenon. She literally owes her career to the series, and that is no exaggeration. I love Rigg too, but with her apparent total non-involvement with the 50th Anniversary is nothing short of sad and unfortunate, especially since Macnee at least is doing a video for the event. She could do that much, but at this point obviously nobody is holding their breath for anything from her. In any case, we must not let this spoil our enjoyment of the celebration.

I think you are out of line here. Rigg worked in the theatre before the Avengers and after. In fact it's what she's done most through the many years of her career and undoubted loves doing the most. If she's moved on from the Avengers is her choice. From the interviews she gave that I have seen, her attitude about talking about the Avengers seems no different then her general attitude. Mind you she has talked about the Avengers a number of times. Just not more recently, which seen the fact that it is 40 years ago for her, is not that surprising to finally be done with the subject if every interview she gave always turns to the Avengers.
Rigg was practically unknown prior to The Avengers. She certainly was unknown outside of Britain. That is what I was referring to. There will always be apologists for Rigg, I understand that. I'm just not one of them. She could have committed to a small participation in the 50th Anniversary, if only for Macnee's sake, who is nearly 90 now. I think it would be the gracious thing to do.
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Basically, it comes down to this. Diana Rigg did a job 40 plus years ago. She did that job for about two years. It was a job that she wasn't extremely happy with because of the pay, conditions, whatever. She talked about these things at the time they happened. She moved on. I know there are many people who think she owes her whole career to the Avengers. To me, that's saying she could never have made it on her talent alone. That's almost insulting. She was beautiful and gifted. Who knows which direction her career would have taken if she hadn't done the series. I, for one, believe that she would have become just as big a name in show business regardless of where her career started.

But all that is moot now. She did a job. She got paid for it. She did her interviews and discussed all she could or would say at the time it mattered. As far as I know, we have not been given any reliable information as to why she won't or can not appear in some form or another at the anniversary get-together. For all any of us knows, she may very well send a note, letter, or video clip. So let's not go on about what she will do or won't do in regards to the anniversary until we know what is fact and what isn't. And regardless of what she does or doesn't do, it is her decision to make.
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

kim wrote:Basically, it comes down to this. Diana Rigg did a job 40 plus years ago. She did that job for about two years. It was a job that she wasn't extremely happy with because of the pay, conditions, whatever. She talked about these things at the time they happened. She moved on. I know there are many people who think she owes her whole career to the Avengers. To me, that's saying she could never have made it on her talent alone. That's almost insulting. She was beautiful and gifted. Who knows which direction her career would have taken if she hadn't done the series. I, for one, believe that she would have become just as big a name in show business regardless of where her career started.

But all that is moot now. She did a job. She got paid for it. She did her interviews and discussed all she could or would say at the time it mattered. As far as I know, we have not been given any reliable information as to why she won't or can not appear in some form or another at the anniversary get-together. For all any of us knows, she may very well send a note, letter, or video clip. So let's not go on about what she will do or won't do in regards to the anniversary until we know what is fact and what isn't. And regardless of what she does or doesn't do, it is her decision to make.
Fair enough. Who knows, she may surprise us after all.
oneknightsteed
Little Wonder

Post by oneknightsteed »

kim wrote:Basically, it comes down to this. Diana Rigg did a job 40 plus years ago. She did that job for about two years. It was a job that she wasn't extremely happy with because of the pay, conditions, whatever. She talked about these things at the time they happened. She moved on. I know there are many people who think she owes her whole career to the Avengers. To me, that's saying she could never have made it on her talent alone. That's almost insulting. She was beautiful and gifted. Who knows which direction her career would have taken if she hadn't done the series. I, for one, believe that she would have become just as big a name in show business regardless of where her career started.

Well said, Kim. I have always admired Diana for being her own person. She is a true artist of her craft and would most certainly have had a successful career without The Avengers. It is a bonus for us all that she gave it a go and created such a memorable role.
believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if i have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-buddha
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

I would suspect that, with this being such an anniversary year, that she will consent to do something for it, maybe one interview or something like that. But that may be about it.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

MRotten wrote:
Allard wrote:
MRotten wrote:Rigg's attitude smacks of being rather ungrateful to me. Here is a lady plucked out of utter obscurity, and she lands a starring role in a series that goes from being a sensation in England to a worldwide phenomenon. She literally owes her career to the series, and that is no exaggeration. I love Rigg too, but with her apparent total non-involvement with the 50th Anniversary is nothing short of sad and unfortunate, especially since Macnee at least is doing a video for the event. She could do that much, but at this point obviously nobody is holding their breath for anything from her. In any case, we must not let this spoil our enjoyment of the celebration.

I think you are out of line here. Rigg worked in the theatre before the Avengers and after. In fact it's what she's done most through the many years of her career and undoubted loves doing the most. If she's moved on from the Avengers is her choice. From the interviews she gave that I have seen, her attitude about talking about the Avengers seems no different then her general attitude. Mind you she has talked about the Avengers a number of times. Just not more recently, which seen the fact that it is 40 years ago for her, is not that surprising to finally be done with the subject if every interview she gave always turns to the Avengers.
Rigg was practically unknown prior to The Avengers. She certainly was unknown outside of Britain. That is what I was referring to. There will always be apologists for Rigg, I understand that. I'm just not one of them. She could have committed to a small participation in the 50th Anniversary, if only for Macnee's sake, who is nearly 90 now. I think it would be the gracious thing to do.
true...but their life...career overviews, pretty much belong to them...NOW, if Diana wants
to avoid talking about the show, avoid being a partof the show's 50th, then it's her choice.
she did her thing. and moved on. we have no right to keep badgering her on her
acting past,etc....but in many respects, her later career, and part of her film career,
can be owed to her role as Mrs.Peel....

I wish her well and continued good health and fortune in the days ahead.
Peter Motte
Little Wonder

Post by Peter Motte »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:I still think it all started with that pompous German interviewing her and saying the words, "So before the Avengers you would have been an actress, yes?" You can see her literally bit her lip. Talk about a cringe-inducing moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o20N3lIp ... re=related
I don't get anything following "I found a funny thing".
Prrr......
-----------
Peter Motte, translator English/French to Dutch
Peter Motte
Little Wonder

Post by Peter Motte »

MRotten wrote:I love Rigg too, but with her apparent total non-involvement with the 50th Anniversary, it is nothing short of sad and unfortunate, (...)
Maybe she feels uneasy about it..
Remember David Bowie about his Ziggy Stardust period, en what he said after his "last tour we'll every do" ?
He said about the fans that "it became frightening".
The Beatles also said that at a certain moment after a very succesfull tour. They didn't want to do gigs anymore after that, and choose to be a pure studio group.
Imaging huge uncontrollable crowds waiting there, all wanting to have a piece of you...

By the way: as far as I know, Patrick Mcnee will NOT be present at the "50th Anniversary Celebration on 25th - 26th June 2011".
There will only be "new & exclusive video contributions from Patrick Macnee, Laurie Johnson, Joanna Lumley and Roger Marshall."
But he himself will not be there.

However Honor Blackman, Linda Thorson and Brian Clemens will be present during the interviews, according to this web page http://blogs.chi.ac.uk/theavengers/programme/main-stage
Prrr......
-----------
Peter Motte, translator English/French to Dutch
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

For me, Diana Rigg is Mrs Peel; that's all. In France, she is only known for that part (and the James Bond film).