The Forget Me Knot

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
brynmill
Thingumajig

The Forget Me Knot

Post by brynmill »

My first post on this forum :wink:

This is probably my favourite of all the Avengers episodes, as it has 4 of the regulars in it (Steed, Emma's finale, Tara's debut, Mother's debut).

One observation my late Mother pointed out when we saw this on tape (from the first C4/S4C broadcast in the 80s) was that when Steed was admitted to the cottage hospital the doctor there assumes he his drunk and prescribes a sedative - my mother claimed it was the worst thing a doctor could have done. Is this right, or are there sedatives that a doctor would prescribe to someone who has been on a alcoholic binge?
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Re: The Forget Me Knot

Post by darren »

Hi, brynmill, welcome to the forum.

I think your Mother was very likely right. I'm sure Clemens just needed a reason to make Steed escape from the hospital so put that in. The Doctor was probably inexperienced - he's also a very angry Doctor and probably needed some sleep. :)
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Alcohol is a depressant, so prescribing a sedative might've been risky.

Then again, it was 1968, so the doctor might've thought any drunk would possibly also have been on speed. As indeed the actors were, shortly after, to lose weight! Would amphetamines and champagne cancel each other out??
Last watched: "Concerto"
costumr
Nutshell

Post by costumr »

Then again, it was 1968, so the doctor might've thought any drunk would possibly also have been on speed. As indeed the actors were, shortly after, to lose weight! Would amphetamines and champagne cancel each other out??
It might cancel out the person imbibing!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

costumr wrote:
It might cancel out the person imbibing!
how true....sheesh....death by ' mis adventure'....
Cybernowt
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Cybernowt »

I only just read the other day that Bruce Lee died due to complications from taking two prescription drugs. One for back pain and one for a cold.