'62-64 seasons

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

jamieavenger wrote:I love Steed in this era - edgier and more ruthless. A good contrast to Mrs Gale.

Same can't be said for the Venus Smith character - I do wonder what the point of her was. Were the producers more interested in showcasing Julie Steven's singing ability than developing an interesting character?
Venus was actually created to be part of the Keel era in season one. The idea was that Steed and Keel would hang about in seedy nightclubs, and Venus would act as their contact in the nightclub, gathering intel on the unsavoury clientele and passing it on to them. Had season one lasted the full 33 episodes as planned, she would have been introduced, but then there was the strike, and Ian Hendry took work on in the interim, and suddenly found himself over-committed when the series came back. Since they needed someone to fill the gap, they used a character they already had plotted out. Like Dr. King, she bought them some time while they worked out what the new direction for the show would be.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

A five minute song is five minutes of dialog that doesn't need to be written. :wink:
<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
jamieavenger wrote:I love Steed in this era - edgier and more ruthless. A good contrast to Mrs Gale.

Same can't be said for the Venus Smith character - I do wonder what the point of her was. Were the producers more interested in showcasing Julie Steven's singing ability than developing an interesting character?
Venus was actually created to be part of the Keel era in season one. The idea was that Steed and Keel would hang about in seedy nightclubs, and Venus would act as their contact in the nightclub, gathering intel on the unsavoury clientele and passing it on to them. Had season one lasted the full 33 episodes as planned, she would have been introduced, but then there was the strike, and Ian Hendry took work on in the interim, and suddenly found himself over-committed when the series came back. Since they needed someone to fill the gap, they used a character they already had plotted out. Like Dr. King, she bought them some time while they worked out what the new direction for the show would be.
:o

Where did you read that ? Thanks so much Timeless for posting this !
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

JohnSteedFr wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:

:o

Where did you read that ? Thanks so much Timeless for posting this !
Oh, ages ago in one of the Dave Rogers books, I believe. Her background was sketched out in a fair bit of detail for an Avengers character. She was definitely meant to be a Keel-era character, which accounts for her imperfect fit in season 2--the series had already evolved beyond the sort of storyline she was meant to fit. If they hadn't been in a bit of a tight spot after Ian left, they probably wouldn't have used her at all. So she was handy stop-gap. They had no idea where Cathy Gale would go, after all. I've posted about it before, but I'm glad it's new to you. :D
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14