The 50th Anniversary Year: Succesful or Not?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Sinus1994
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Sinus1994 »

I hoped, that one channel in Germany would show The Avengers.
But I think, because of that problem, that the show already ran 2009/2010 on arte, the program manager think it isn't necessary to show The Avengers again...
That's a bit sad, because this year was the 50th Anniversary of the show.

Sincerely yours,

Sinus1994 Image
MLP*
Thingumajig

Post by MLP* »

Would have been nice if there had been something on TV to commemorate the 50th. Paul O'Grady said he tried to get ITV to do a show and they weren't interested.
Still, there was a radio show on the BBC.

The highlight, as others have said, was the Chichester celebration. Pretty much the "ultimate" Avengers event.

Plus I'm slowly working my way through the complete DVD boxset. And we got a Tara King soundtrack CD too. :)
Alex McKenna
Nutshell

Post by Alex McKenna »

It's sad, but the kids of today haven't felt the thrill of the Avengers. Maybe Paul O'Grady is our main advocate, and well done that girl, although I have to admit I don't watch his kind of thing, and have never seen him plug the show :-) Not all queens enjoy show-biz gossip to that extent, contrary to the usual stereotypes, and Eurovision leaves me frozen in horror!
But show me a green Bentley and Emma in the back, and I'll be drinking in every last sip.
Sinus1994

Post by Sinus1994 »

@ Alex McKenna: You're quite right. The kids of today don't know, that The Avengers exist. I can see it at my school. e.g.:
I was reading one of my books about The Avengers, with lots of this wonderful pictures of Steed and Mrs. Peel. So, the others were watching at this pictures and asked me, that it is. I told them, that is a TV series from the 60s, called The Avengers. Most of them shook their heads and said: "You're a nut case!". But there was an smaller group, which said. "Yeah, it looks nice." Of course the girls said to Emma's wardrobe: "So beautiful siuts, dresses,... and she looks so pretty!". Well and to Steed naturally: "He looks so cute, like a real gentleman and more handsome than James Bond." (That's true, they exactly said this!!)
Our boys didn't said so much, they just gaped at the picture of Emma in "A Touch Of Brimstone" (you know, this special picture as the Queen of Sin).
I think, it was my mistake, because I was reading exactly at this page and as I wanted to turn the page and they said: "Stop, stop. We'd like to see this picture." (I thought, oh no.... not THAT picture! -__-)
And they snapped my book! :evil: *furious*
In a nutshell, the boys were amused and the girl were fascinated by this "pretty people" (of course, they are pretty) in my book.

But that's it. Nobody was interested to know more about the TV Series and how amazing The Avengers are. That makes me sad.
The good thing I have, some teachers smile, when they see the title or a picture of them.
But show me a picture or a video of Steed and/or Emma, I automatically start to smile. :mrgreen:

Sincerely yours,

Sinus1994 Image
brynmill
Thingumajig

Post by brynmill »

They probably don't even know about THE NEW AVENGERS - despite the presence of Joanna Lumley.
Sinus1994

Post by Sinus1994 »

Yes, I can't understand this too.
The Avengers and The New Avengers are Cult TV with lots of well known actors and actresses. Why are they nearly forgotten today?

Sincerely yours,
Sinus1994 Image
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

They showed every episode in France to coincide with the anniversary. I have a copy of the dvd interview with my father which was shown at Chichester as part of the weekend (he couldn't attend).
brynmill
Thingumajig

Post by brynmill »

Rodney wrote:They showed every episode in France to coincide with the anniversary. I have a copy of the dvd interview with my father which was shown at Chichester as part of the weekend (he couldn't attend).
Who is your father Rodney? (newish here, so I am in the dark)
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

brynmill wrote:
Rodney wrote:They showed every episode in France to coincide with the anniversary. I have a copy of the dvd interview with my father which was shown at Chichester as part of the weekend (he couldn't attend).
Who is your father Rodney? (newish here, so I am in the dark)
Avengers (and many, many other series) Writer Roger Marshall.
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

And the show will air on TV AGAIN in France and Germany, next Monday with series 4 (at 9.40am on ARTE).
I've been blessed by The Avengers!