Venus Signature Tune

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

MikeR wrote:Thanks to everyone for showing interest.

The music for “Venus” was composed by Bob Sharples (who did the theme from ABC Television’s Public Eye and incidental music for various other TV series), but then the lyrics are credited to Sharples’ pseudonym Robert Early.

Julie gave an impromptu rendition at The Avengers at 50 event in Chichester, so about 250 people have heard it.
Neat! Anybody who was at the 50th Anniversary event willing to give their opinion on it? :D
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I wonder why they gave it to Bob Sharples to do as he had nothing else to do with the show.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Darren wrote:I wonder why they gave it to Bob Sharples to do as he had nothing else to do with the show.
budget thing ? or was Dankworth not up to it?
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:

The music for “Venus” was composed by Bob Sharples (who did the theme from ABC Television’s Public Eye and incidental music for various other TV series), but then the lyrics are credited to Sharples’ pseudonym Robert Early.

Julie gave an impromptu rendition at The Avengers at 50 event in Chichester, so about 250 people have heard it.
Neat! Anybody who was at the 50th Anniversary event willing to give their opinion on it? :D
I was among the guests and I did hear the song. It gave the impression of seeing Venus 'glorified' (like 'Glory to Venus!') but it abruptly ended by words meaning the opposite, just like the name 'Venus Smith', quite contradictory...

Julie Stevens is still a great singer ! :wink: :D
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
Brendan Jones
Little Wonder

Post by Brendan Jones »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:

Julie sang it very well, but they lyrics themselves were quite cringe inducing. Very much of its time, however- I was reminded of Roberta Tovey's Doctor Who songs... :)
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Brendan Jones wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:

Julie sang it very well, but they lyrics themselves were quite cringe inducing. Very much of its time, however- I was reminded of Roberta Tovey's Doctor Who songs... :)
Too bad no one thought to transcribe the lyrics. Cringeworthy or otherwise, I'd love to know what they were. 8)

Julie sounds so lovely whenever she talks about the show. She's had so few opportunities to do so, so practically everything she has to say is new. :D

JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Brendan Jones wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote: Neat! Anybody who was at the 50th Anniversary event willing to give their opinion on it? :D
Too bad no one thought to transcribe the lyrics. Cringeworthy or otherwise, I'd love to know what they were. 8)

Julie sounds so lovely whenever she talks about the show. She's had so few opportunities to do so, so practically everything she has to say is new. :D
She told me she lived in France or had a house there. And she speaks it fluently. :o I took photos with her after the Laurie Johnson tribute, in Chichester. Souvenir I'll never forget.
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

JohnSteedFr wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Brendan Jones wrote: Julie sang it very well, but they lyrics themselves were quite cringe inducing. Very much of its time, however- I was reminded of Roberta Tovey's Doctor Who songs... :)

She told me she lived in France or had a house there. And she speaks it fluently. :o I took photos with her after the Laurie Johnson tribute, in Chichester. Souvenir I'll never forget.
How lovely. :D She sounds like a wonderful person.

Brendan Jones
Little Wonder

Post by Brendan Jones »

Julie was sensational, and quite mad. She would have made a stunning Doctor Who girl, in the Jo Grant mould!
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Having spoken and exchanged emails with Julie I can say she is absolutely wonderful.

She detested the Venus Smith theme tune, but sang it tremendously well at The Avengers 50 at Chichester.

In starting this thread I hoped that I would be able to track the copy that Julie auctioned off and the label would have given us more information.