Emma Peel Series, which is your favourite?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.

Out of Series 4 and 5, which do you prefer?

Series 4
77%
Series 5
23%

Total votes: 53

Brendan Jones
Little Wonder

Post by Brendan Jones »

Season 4 is better. Season 5, however, got me into the Avengers, so that must be my favourite. ;)
jaz
Winged Avenger

Post by jaz »

Series 4 by a country mile!!!!!!!

I always felt series 5 was very much sticking to a formula and for me that was all wrong. I think those involved thought that the move to colour was more important than the plots. Series 5 would rate as my least favourite season.

I ask the most stupid questions!
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Sinus1994 wrote:
cyberrich wrote:Season 5 is wonderful. Breezy and fun and admittedly not to be taken too seriously. The very essence of the swinging 60s.
BUT Season 4 just happens to be the best season of television ever made. Try following that. Season 5 does so admirably, but how can you compete with perfection. Sadly, season 5 comes in for a lot of criticism. I just love it for the colourful fun season it is. Terrific episodes like Escape in time, Hidden tiger, Joker, Murdersville, Funny thing..., Venus, and so many others. Episodes I love to return to.
BUT The Cybernauts, Hour that never was, Town of no return, Xmas trees, Bargain prices, Castle and countless others, just happen to be the best hours of television ever made. Wonderfully inventive, iconic episodes, in glorious monochrome. Full of atmosphere, shadows, witticisms, and not a wasted frame of film. 8) 8) 8) Rich.
And what are you going to vote for? :mrgreen:
It's difficult, isn't it?

Sincerely yours,
Sinus1994 Image

I voted for season 4. I do feel season 5 gets a lot of stick, so I wanted to defend it. Both are superb seasons of television, but season 4 is the best season of television ever made, not just within The Avengers world. Season 5 would vie for 2nd place with season 6. Season 3 and season 1 of TNA next.
Season 2 of both The Avengers and TNA would be bottom.
Rich.
Sinus1994
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Sinus1994 »

cyberrich wrote: I voted for season 4. I do feel season 5 gets a lot of stick, so I wanted to defend it. Both are superb seasons of television, but season 4 is the best season of television ever made, not just within The Avengers world. Season 5 would vie for 2nd place with season 6. Season 3 and season 1 of TNA next.
Season 2 of both The Avengers and TNA would be bottom.
Rich.
You're quite right.
As I cam remember, I voted for season 4, too. 8)
It is absolutely the best one.

Sincerely yours,
Sinus1994 Image
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Allard wrote:This is not difficult, the Peel monochrome episodes is the best TV ever made, at least in my humble opinion.

The thing that the Peel colour episodes have going for it is that Steed and Emma´s interaction is lighter and more fun to watch and the season is simply THE Avengers for me, because it was the first episodes I ever saw.

But the monochrome episodes are far better, especially in the stories, but the whole style in, sets, camera work, clothing and story types make this season something special.
ditto...my feelings...exactly...'cept I was exposed to season 4 (monochrome) before season 5.
Sinus1994

Post by Sinus1994 »

Allard wrote:
But the monochrome episodes are far better, especially in the stories, but the whole style in, sets, camera work, clothing and story types make this season something special.
It is so damned British! Image

Sincerely yours,
Sinus1994 Image
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

Season 4 is better; all episodes are excellent, except one for me. It is not the case for season 5 where some are less interesting.
Sinus1994

Post by Sinus1994 »

denis wrote:Season 4 is better; all episodes are excellent, except one for me. It is not the case for season 5 where some are less interesting.
It is indeed not the case, that season 5 is less interesting as season 4. It also has some very good episodes, but in season 4 are they any better...

Sincerely yours,
Sinus1994 Image
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

yes, more variety and less formulaic episodes. Far more atmosphere. Film boosted the show's possibilities, colour sent it (sometimes) over the edge, despite some great Season 5 and 6 episodes.
Sinus1994

Post by Sinus1994 »

You're quite right.
Well, you can also see the differences between the two season...
I do so.

Sincerely yours,
Sinus1994 Image