The Avengers Optimum Release - US?

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

timlamb
Thingumajig

Post by timlamb »

The source is HD, more than likely a 2K scan of the original 35mm original camera negative remastered for bluray. 1920 x 1080 vs. 576 x 720. Mathematically that is 5 times the # of pixels so yes the bluray would be a significant improvement over the dvd.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I read that one viewer was momentarily distracted by the fluff on one of the actor's jacket in an episode on the Optimum DVD, so that would be clear enough for me.

If these DVDs are that good, I really don't need, or want, a higher definition.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

I've just finished watching seasons 4 and 5 from Optimum. I stop here and I'm waiting for TNA in the same conditions :wink: ). The edition is marvellous ...but nothing is perfect. There are only four chapters per episode, there is no English subtitles (it would be good for British hearing impaired and foreigners) and the episode The Forget-Me-Knot is not on the Peel sets. At least, the scenes with Mrs Peel could have been in the bonus section!
supersimon
Thingumajig

Post by supersimon »

There are plenty of episodes, esp in the Tara series where the picture quality is terrific. I watch them on a blu ray player which upscales (though to nothing like the std of blu ray and you can only work with the source material in any event) and it looks v good indeed. Watched The Morning After recently and was struck at how fab it looked.

Have always suspected that blu ray is a long way off - The Avengers is a wonderful and unique series but has a small market as the sales of the dvd boxsets have shown
davidf
Little Wonder

Post by davidf »

Guys, a Blu-ray version will come. It's just that no date have been scheduled yet. Blu-ray is less of a step, to the general public, than DVD vs VHS, so the expand is a bist slower. You have to learn patience, and the Optimum release (assuming you do get the right corrected releases) are enough to chomp your stick and wait a little bit.

Once the market is enough to support it, a HD release is inevitable.
Lando
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Lando »

seventeen wrote:Guys, a Blu-ray version will come. It's just that no date have been scheduled yet. Blu-ray is less of a step, to the general public, than DVD vs VHS, so the expand is a bist slower. You have to learn patience, and the Optimum release (assuming you do get the right corrected releases) are enough to chomp your stick and wait a little bit.

Once the market is enough to support it, a HD release is inevitable.
I really hope the blu ray sets come soon. I am in the US (Region A) and would really like to have The Avengers series on blu ray. I only have the old 90's A&E Emma Peel box set and The New Avengers A&E sets at this point. I've seen the Tara King episodes and a few of the Cathy Gale ones.

It would be great if Optimum would put them out on blu ray for all regions.

I'm dragging my heels a bit on The Persuaders! blu ray set as it is locked to Region B UK and I will have to invest in a new player and add on to play the series. So.. it's become quite expensive to purchase just one series...

Grr!!!

: )

I was hoping Network would be releasing The Saint this year too!

The Avengers on blu ray would be a day one purchase for me though.

Oh! A&E Home Video... Impossible to contact and get a human response!!! If anyone has a contact with them please let me know. I had one years ago that was great at communication, but he has moved on from the company. I would love to let them know and have attempted to contact them, but it's impossible at this point.

If anyone knows of a contact with A&E please let me know.

I've tried to contact Network about issuing The Persuaders blu ray in Region A, but I'm sure there's legal reasons and contracts. They never responded to my email.

Does A&E still hold The Avengers license?
Does anyone have a contact for New Video / A&E Home Video US?
How does one contact Optimum Home Video?

**** It appears that The Avengers sets are no longer in print here in the US. Correct?

*** - I did contact A&E Home videos site and here is the automated response that I received...

You should receive a response by email from our support department shortly.
Please be advised if your question is not in regards to an order placed at our online store, we regret that we may not be able to reply.
timlamb
Thingumajig

Post by timlamb »

These are mysteries to us all. I don't think anyone holds the rights to The Avengers here in the states currently. The problem is Studio Canal titles have been released by many companies here in the states. Lionsgate probably being the biggest distributer. A & E has really shifted gears toward reality TV crap and I don't think hold the rights to many of the British TV shows like they used to.

I was expecting a US distributer for The Persuaders bluray as well but nothing yet. Acorn media seem to specialize in British TV and distribute Network's Robin Hood blurays here in the states. I wish they would jump on board and offer The Persuaders or A&E would offer it.

Concerning a DVD release of The Avengers Series 4-6 in the states they simply wouldn't sell! Bluray has really taken over the market here in the US and concerning new releases the Blurays are just as cheap as the dvd's. These were HD restorations from the OCN so dvd is simply a waste of time except for the Honor Blackman episodes done in 405 line video. The dvd's for those will work just fine. I am anxoiusly awaiting myself. I bought the Emma Peel megaset for $99 and retured it when I heard of the entire series being remastered in HD in Sept. of 2007 and coming to bluray. Bottom line is bluray has already taken off long ago! There are grossly obscure titles on the format that were never even released on dvd so they went from VHS straight to bluray! titles like Damnation Alley. Here's hoping to seeing Emma and Tara on bluray soon.
Lando
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Lando »

timlamb wrote:These are mysteries to us all. I don't think anyone holds the rights to The Avengers here in the states currently. The problem is Studio Canal titles have been released by many companies here in the states. Lionsgate probably being the biggest distributer. A & E has really shifted gears toward reality TV crap and I don't think hold the rights to many of the British TV shows like they used to.

I was expecting a US distributer for The Persuaders bluray as well but nothing yet. Acorn media seem to specialize in British TV and distribute Network's Robin Hood blurays here in the states. I wish they would jump on board and offer The Persuaders or A&E would offer it.

Concerning a DVD release of The Avengers Series 4-6 in the states they simply wouldn't sell! Bluray has really taken over the market here in the US and concerning new releases the Blurays are just as cheap as the dvd's. These were HD restorations from the OCN so dvd is simply a waste of time except for the Honor Blackman episodes done in 405 line video. The dvd's for those will work just fine. I am anxoiusly awaiting myself. I bought the Emma Peel megaset for $99 and retured it when I heard of the entire series being remastered in HD in Sept. of 2007 and coming to bluray. Bottom line is bluray has already taken off long ago! There are grossly obscure titles on the format that were never even released on dvd so they went from VHS straight to bluray! titles like Damnation Alley. Here's hoping to seeing Emma and Tara on bluray soon.
Thanks for the follow up post. I received an automated email from A&E basically saying that my request would be followed up on, but if it is not in regards to an order it may not be answered.

Hopefully a US company will start distributing The Avengers, The Persuaders and The Saint.

I'm curious why Network didn't just make the blu ray set region free. If they had done so I would've ordered the set a long time ago!!
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

denis wrote:I've just finished watching seasons 4 and 5 from Optimum. I stop here and I'm waiting for TNA in the same conditions :wink: ). The edition is marvellous ...but nothing is perfect. There are only four chapters per episode, there is no English subtitles (it would be good for British hearing impaired and foreigners) and the episode The Forget-Me-Knot is not on the Peel sets. At least, the scenes with Mrs Peel could have been in the bonus section!
We made a conscious decision not to include The Forget-Me-Knot on the Series 5 set, as it's the considered opinion of Jaz and myself that previously it had never been on the correct set. It wasn't transmitted with Series 5, was made as part of Series 6. Therefore it went with Series 6 and I believe it's the first time the series had been issued correctly in this respect.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Lando wrote:It would be great if Optimum would put them out on blu ray for all regions.
Optimum no longer exist. They have been subsumed into Studio Canal, as have Kinowelt in Germany.
I've tried to contact Network about issuing The Persuaders blu ray in Region A, but I'm sure there's legal reasons and contracts. They never responded to my email.
Their license will only cover the UK. (And I can confirm the Persuaders Blu-ray is definitely coded Region B - sorry. It's marvellous.).
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger