The New Avengers - The Tale of The Double Cross scriptbook

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
jaz
Winged Avenger

The New Avengers - The Tale of The Double Cross scriptbook

Post by jaz »

I have been inspired to offer one of the New Avengers unmade scripts I have as a script book. If all goes to plan there will a second unmade script available as a script book in a few weeks time.

Thanks for your time and support.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/philip-broadle ... 21465.html

I ask the most stupid questions!
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Oh, how exciting, Jaz! :D I've been wanting to read this one ever since it came up on this forum. So glad you're making it available, and I hope we'll see the second script soon, too. :)
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
jaz
Winged Avenger

Post by jaz »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Oh, how exciting, Jaz! :D I've been wanting to read this one ever since it came up on this forum. So glad you're making it available, and I hope we'll see the second script soon, too. :)
Series One with Purdey being called Charly

I'm not sure why the preview of Lulu is so lo-res and so very pink but here are the front and back cover as they should be:

Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Nice pic. I quite like the name Charly. Perhaps she was the Avenger girl between series '69 and '76?

(I really shouldn't write that in front of Timeless, I know ... )
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Nice pic. I quite like the name Charly. Perhaps she was the Avenger girl between series '69 and '76?

(I really shouldn't write that in front of Timeless, I know ... )
I'll have a backstory worked out in the next ten minutes if I'm not careful... :wink:

jaz
Winged Avenger

Post by jaz »

Hopefully a few more of you will make the efforts with this one and Alan's scriptbook in the next few days. Thanks

paulpdjh
Winged Avenger

Post by paulpdjh »

I've ordered a copy. Hopefully it will arrive later this week. By a lucky coincidence, The Tale of the Big Why is the next episode I'm due to watch, so it will be interesting comparing the two.
Paul
Tara46
Thingumajig

Post by Tara46 »

Received my copy this morning. Really looking forward to reading through it :D
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Got mine yesterday. I'm about halfway through it. I'll post about it once I'm finished. :D

Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Finished it a couple of days ago. It's a really fascinating insight into the early days of the show, and I recommend it if you want to see how the series and characters evolved. (Come on, guys, I want them to publish the second one. 8) )

(Feel free to skip this post if you want to avoid mild spoilers :) )

I'd really be interested in knowing when exactly this one was written, as the conceptions of the characters of "Charly" (very glad they ended up changing the name--it looks rather like someone's forgotten a vowel or two when read over and over again in print) and Gambit are fairly far removed from their onscreen counterparts. Some of it fits with what we know about the early development of the show--Charly's choice of actionwear, for example--but some of it seems diametrically opposed to the way the characters would eventually appear onscreen. Gambit seems particularly far removed, a French-speaking Victor Ludorum, whereas "our" Gambit didn't know the meaning of the phrase (literally). Charly, in contrast, seems less posh than Purdey. I'd like to know if this was written before they did the casting, or if Philip Broadley's take on the characters was far-removed from that of Brian Clemens, because the way they're written doesn't seem conducive to the casting of Joanna and (especially) Gareth. Their relationship seems pretty antagonistic as well. Steed's mostly recognisable as TNA Steed, though some of his dialogue doesn't sit quite right, and he gets ferried around in a Rolls while talking on the phone a lot--very Motheresque.

The plot's hugely familiar in some places, and feels like a completely different story in others, but it does generally feel similar to the filmed episode. I also think I spotted at least two in-jokes, and a touch that was clearly lifted for use in House of Cards. Oh, and there's a little running gag concerning Charly and a pair of handcuffs (not as wrong as it sounds). I really hope more people buy this one, as I'd like to hear what others think of it.
Last edited by Timeless A-Peel on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.