the missing episode

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
cyberrich
Site Admin

the missing episode

Post by cyberrich »

Does anyone know why there were only 25 colour Mrs Peel episodes. There should have been 26 which was standard for 1960s tv shows. In fact Diana only filmed 24 before agreeing to return a few months later to film Forget me knot. What happened to the other episode? Was it made and forgotten about? Will it surface one day? Well, I can always hope!
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

I am no expert, but what I know is that they simply let her off from making a 26th. And it is so unlikely, no impossible for another Peel episode too surface. Maybe there is a script - that never has been filmed - out there.
Split! is a said to be intended as Emma Peel episode. Can't really imagine her in that episode though.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

They simply ran out of time as they only restarted filming - after a six week break - in June 1967 and the first episode was due to be transmitted in the September. Forget-me-Knot began filming in September but by then the politics off-screen, including the Clemens/Bryce debacle, had kicked off. The missing episode was a Mrs Gale remake.
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

Rodney wrote:The missing episode was a Mrs Gale remake.
Do you happen to know which one?
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: the missing episode

Post by mousemeat »

cyberrich wrote:Does anyone know why there were only 25 colour Mrs Peel episodes. There should have been 26 which was standard for 1960s tv shows. In fact Diana only filmed 24 before agreeing to return a few months later to film Forget me knot. What happened to the other episode? Was it made and forgotten about? Will it surface one day? Well, I can always hope!
Perhaps one of our AVENGERS experts, (mega expert)
can throw more light on this thread...
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Don't Look Behind You and Death of a Great Dane had already been re-done earlier in the season - and one could argue the case for The Charmers as well. The extra episode I understand was another Clemens remake, probably Build a Better Mousetrap. However, I have no idea whether the script had been re-written or changed substantially etc. It is more probable that the script was very similar to the original, as was the case with Cyberrich's favourite, £50,000 Breakfast where the gender of the mastermind was one of the few changes apart from the wine club scene becoming a cigar club one.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Although I do not think a remake of Build a Better Mousetrap could top the original I would love to see a Peel remake.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Thanks Rodney for the info. I've always wondered why season 5 was one episode short. It would be interesting to find out which episode was to be remade. I see you remembered that £50,000 is my favourite Mrs Peel episode! (lol) If they had to do yet another remake, I would have plumped for Mandrake. This would have fitted in with season 5 quite well, unlike Death of a Great dane, which I think only worked in the Cathy era.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I agree with you - as usual! Mandrake would have been fabulous in colour with Mrs Peel.
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

What an interesting subject !!!!
A remake of BUILT A BETTER MOUSETRAP !!!
It would have been great to see it !
I've been blessed by The Avengers!