The New Avengers - ITV4

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Tara46
Thingumajig

Post by Tara46 »

I'm not sure if it is relevant or not, but the episode "Target" does feature the TARDIS from the Dr Who movies. Would this create any issues for ITV? After all Dr Who is quite popular again these days and is certainly a money spinner.
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

Tara46 wrote:I'm not sure if it is relevant or not, but the episode "Target" does feature the TARDIS from the Dr Who movies. Would this create any issues for ITV? After all Dr Who is quite popular again these days and is certainly a money spinner.
No, it wouldn't be possible for an objection to be raised by an inanimate object. Even an object sort of (but not quite) 'owned' by the BBC. Nice thinking though.

On a related note, another good example of an actor blocking a repeat or release occurred when Doctor Who's Tomb of the Cybermen turned up. A minor member of the cast refused the offered payment and thus the release was completely held up until they got what they wanted. It wasn't even one of the leads! It could be that an actor in Target thinks the repeat fee isn't sufficient. It's less likely that it's a piece of music as that can easily be edited out.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:The original broadcast were the computer generated/animation ones. Those were the ones I remember seeing.
yes, I believe so...
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Doesn't James Bolam still block "The Likely Lads?"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media ... 99057.html
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

dissolute wrote:Doesn't James Bolam still block "The Likely Lads?"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media ... 99057.html
It's a sad situation. From Bewes side, I don't think he may be seeing the whole picture.

"Whatever happened to the Likely Lads" has been repeated often over the years but "The Likely Lads" is a black and white show, next to no black and white shows get a repeat - certainly not on BBC1 or BBC2. It's rare to see B&W on G.O.L.D. and even Yesterday. Maybe Bolam is blocking them but I don't think they'd automatically start repeating them.

I hope whatever is getting in the way of their relationship gets healed up.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I agree Darren, "The Likely Lads" also has the impediment that many episodes were junked, which makes repeat runs even less likely.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

Darren wrote: I hope whatever is getting in the way of their relationship gets healed up.
I really would think that's impossible. They've not spoken in well over 30 years. Bolam really wants nothing to do with Bewes, which seems very sad.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Darren wrote:Target was repeated in the 90's BBC2 repeats and on the 2008 BBC4 repeats.

I don't believe the whole "an actor blocked the repeat" - a repeat is a fee usually and no actor will turn that down.
Unless he wasn't being paid of course, or not enough.

The Professionals was blocked for quite a few years after Martin Shaw refused his permission. It was only when his fellow actors, who needed the money, had a quiet word that he relented.
familar tale...
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Johnny O wrote:
Tara46 wrote:I'm not sure if it is relevant or not, but the episode "Target" does feature the TARDIS from the Dr Who movies. Would this create any issues for ITV? After all Dr Who is quite popular again these days and is certainly a money spinner.
No, it wouldn't be possible for an objection to be raised by an inanimate object. Even an object sort of (but not quite) 'owned' by the BBC. Nice thinking though.
That TARDIS prop appears only in the Dr Who Dalek movies owned by... Canal Plus, who also own the Avengers and released The New Avengers on DVD. So what the BBC think is irrelevant, especially as in "Target!" it's portraying a police box, not a TARDIS :)
Last watched: "Concerto"
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

Actually... the BBC do own the copyright for the police box design. Weird, but they do. So even though the actual police box used in the Avengers is just that and has nothing to do with the TARDIS (other than the physical prop appearing in the two Dalek movies), the BBC do own the copyright on all police boxes. However... there is nothing they can do about it. Rover and Jaguar own the rights to the design of all the cars used in the Avengers and there is nothing they can do if they don't want them to appear. Inanimate objects play no part in movie/TV rights for past productions being repeated. None. Except that if a TV show now wanted to use a police box in a new production, they would need the BBC's permission.