The Avengers - Series 5 + 6 replacement discs

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

supersimon wrote:From what I understand there are no plans for UK blu ray of the series. I recall in 2010 that the earliest poss date was 2012 which came and went, and I have not seen anything that would indicate they are on their way. Would love to be corrected!
will probably not see the light of day....
peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by peabody »

I spoke to a guy who was involved with the Avengers DVD releases in some way or another a few years ago and he said that there will definitely not be a Blu-ray release ever because it was technically impossible for some reason... :shock:
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Only for the videotaped shows, where BluRay could add no extra resolution (you could put them on BluRay but when there are already dVDs, there's no improvement in doing so). There's no possible technical reason not to make BluRays of the filmed seasons (season 4, 5 and 6, and the New Avengers), because it was made on 35mm film. The only reasons would be economic.
Last watched: "Concerto"
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

They could put them on BluRay uncompressed, which would improve the picture quality and we'd lose all those horrible compression artifacts from the dark parts of the picture...
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I bet they'd still try to cram too much onto each one - this is Canal+ we're talking about here! They're bound to mess something up, they always do. Thjeir release of the Dor Who films took 3 tries and they still got it wrong...

Personally I didn't see much wrong with the blacks on the new disks, except that they're "crushed" far more than the Contender releases, contrast cranked up too high.
Last watched: "Concerto"
timlamb
Thingumajig

Post by timlamb »

eleganceandthickcurtains wrote:I spoke to a guy who was involved with the Avengers DVD releases in some way or another a few years ago and he said that there will definitely not be a Blu-ray release ever because it was technically impossible for some reason... :shock:
In a word Bull$h!+! The Avengers was remastered in High Definition starting around 4 years ago from the 35mm original camera negative starting at the Emma Peel episodes forward and downconverted to PAL. Bluray versions were planned from the onset and my guess is to milk the cow as long as possible they only released the dvd versions to make more money when avid fans double dip.

Concerning Cathy Gale episodes they max out at 405 lines of resolution from the old British broadcast standard. As I understand these episodes were taken from 16mm copies of the episodes.

4K will be a niche format and most likely be the laserdisc of the 21st century. 1.9K bluray discs would be marvelous and I am still waiting!
Last edited by timlamb on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Aren't those "new" mistakes only on the German sets, not the UK ones?
always wondered what 'set' from around the world, got it right? etc
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I'm not into bluray yet, but a friend told me that if you play dvds on a bluray player the dvds become bluray quality. Is this true? If it is true, is there any point in waiting for a bluray release? Obviously it's different with TNA which I can't believe still hasn't been remastered. Rich.
John Johnson
Nutshell

Post by John Johnson »

Have the audio problems with the discs been corrected? I live in the U.S. and don't want to order them if there's an issue with the audio.
supersimon
Thingumajig

Post by supersimon »

What you get with DVD played in a blu ray player is "upscaling" - it isn't as good as blu ray, but it is a step forward. I have watched all the episodes from Emma and Tara in this format and certainly some of them look stunning. I know it is not a fan fave, but Invasion of the Earthmen is one I recall looked v good