The Complete Avengers: 50th Anniversary Edition (39 Discs)

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I understand that the episodes are in English, and the German subtitles are removable (at least on the episodes, they may not be on the special features/interviews). I will let you know exactly what they're like when I play some of it.

I used to speak some German at least at beginner-level, thanks to 6 months of evening classes and an Austrian friend, but these days I find that I can only just about navigate the German Amazon website! :oops:
Last watched: "Concerto"
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Good for you. I looked at that German site and could barely ask for help. I would be very interested what they are like. Please let us know!

I went ahead and bought the UK version but I would be very interested to know. As long as John Steed is not speaking German! LOL!

It looks to be pretty much the same price as the UK from what i can see. Where do you live Frankymole if i may ask? I was surprised the taxes were taken off from UK VAT so it was actually cheaper for me to buy it here in US.
Shipping was minimal.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

anti-clockwise wrote:I was surprised the taxes were taken off from UK VAT so it was actually cheaper for me to buy it here in US.
Shipping was minimal.
They'll never charge you tax if you're not a resident of the country. The same goes when I buy stuff from the US--all the applicable state taxes were exempted. Depending on how much they're charging, it can sometimes make up for the shipping.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

Interesting.So it may actually be cheaper to buy overseas. I would have never realized that! By the way I love your witty banter Timeless. I am still laughing and am becoming more informed from your posts. Thank you!
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

anti-clockwise wrote:It looks to be pretty much the same price as the UK from what i can see. Where do you live Frankymole if i may ask?
I'm in the UK. It would be nice not to be charged tax on the German set, but I have a feeling that I will get charged tax on import, by the UK revenue authorities.
Last watched: "Concerto"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

anti-clockwise wrote:Interesting.So it may actually be cheaper to buy overseas. I would have never realized that! By the way I love your witty banter Timeless. I am still laughing and am becoming more informed from your posts. Thank you!
Well, thank you! I'm Canadian and someone's saying I'm funny--quick, alert Brian Clemens! :wink:

anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

Well Franky if you buy it in the US they will charge you $288 so don't feel too badly! LOL!

Timeless...well you are just timeless. So funny. I guess you guys just have no sense of humor in Canada! Not!

i had this feeling Clemens might be blaming LT for the show not lasting and being frustrated that his star Emma Peel was leaving the show. That kind of thing could even end a show. And when Clemens wants to insult/blame someone he just says they have no sense of humor. ludicrous!

LT could not have survived if that were the case. The whole season was one parody after another and she was superb and elegant yet understated in her demeanor.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

anti-clockwise wrote:Well Franky if you buy it in the US they will charge you $288 so don't feel too badly! LOL!

Timeless...well you are just timeless. So funny. I guess you guys just have no sense of humor in Canada! Not!

i had this feeling Clemens might be blaming LT for the show not lasting and being frustrated that his star Emma Peel was leaving the show. That kind of thing could even end a show. And when Clemens wants to insult/blame someone he just says they have no sense of humor. ludicrous!

LT could not have survived if that were the case. The whole season was one parody after another and she was superb and elegant yet understated in her demeanor.
Aw, you're very kind. :) Linda was a victim of circumstances and came in for a lot of unwarranted flak. She handled it admirably considering what she was up against, and for someone so young. I love so much of what Brian's done, but I think when it came to Linda, and then TNA in Canada, the surrounding circumstances of the way the show went contributed to some rather unfair biases on his part.

anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

It really sounds that way with Clemens. Sorry if i am asking redundant questions--haven't gotten through all the massive threads here. But I wondered what his relationship was with Diana Rigg? I know she initially got paid poorly. Wondered who was involved with that.

But the fact that she did not go to the 50th anniversary and Clemens read the letter he sent her, I just wondered if he was hard to get along with or was difficult working with the female stars. But I am just guessing or wondering since I haven't read enough yet.

Also why did Diana Rigg leave? I imagine there was her success and a movie waiting but I wonder given that she expresses she did not enjoy those years--so sad--she was great--that she may have been itching to leave. I will get around to reading this stuff--eventually!
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

anti-clockwise wrote:It really sounds that way with Clemens. Sorry if i am asking redundant questions--haven't gotten through all the massive threads here. But I wondered what his relationship was with Diana Rigg? I know she initially got paid poorly. Wondered who was involved with that.

But the fact that she did not go to the 50th anniversary and Clemens read the letter he sent her, I just wondered if he was hard to get along with or was difficult working with the female stars. But I am just guessing or wondering since I haven't read enough yet.

Also why did Diana Rigg leave? I imagine there was her success and a movie waiting but I wonder given that she expresses she did not enjoy those years--so sad--she was great--that she may have been itching to leave. I will get around to reading this stuff--eventually!
I don't know quite how friendly they were, to be honest. I don't think I've ever read much about the personal relationship between Diana and Brian (he's talked about her in relation to her role, etc. quite extensively, but that's something else entirely). I don't know how much control he had over her pay, either, though I don't think it would have been loads. But I'd say he was closer to Gareth Hunt or Joanna Lumley than Diana. That's just a guess, though.

Diana left for a number of reasons. She actually wanted to leave after her first season, but stayed on because Patrick asked her to. He was having a rough time in his personal life, and needed a friend, so she stayed on for season 5. The pay issue was one thing. She was also missing the theatre, and working double duty--filming during the day and acting onstage in the evening, which was obviously exhausting. And I think she simply got restless and wanted to do other things, which is entirely understandable. She's always acknowledged how much the show did for her profile, and recently I feel as though she's turned a corner in her perception of it. But there's no question that during that period of time, they didn't treat the actors particularly well.