Dead Man's Treasure Hunt - locations and news

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Oh I see it was an joke ;)

I'd like to know where all those mysterious-named towns in The Saint, Department S and Man In a Suitcase are, none of them show up in any road Atlas.
Last watched: "Concerto"
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

A joke is the most serious thing...
Thank you all so much for your help. I don't live in the UK so it si rather confusing to locate.
I am not currently driving but i plan to go one day and can't find it on my map so i really appreciate the directions. i guess I was wondering what the biggest city it is near. Is it Aldbury?
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Aldbury's only a village, so quite small. Borehamwood is the nearest decent-size town to the east, and Watford to the west, but they feel like suburbs of London now anyway.
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

Thanks Franky! i will try with my bad directions to find it on a map and it is south of London?

By the way I saw you last looked at Legacy of Death. one of my favorites! Fantastic! Did you see it with your new DVD set from Germany? How do you like it? Sorry if I am asking in the wrong section.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

anti-clockwise wrote:Thanks Franky! i will try with my bad directions to find it on a map and it is south of London?

By the way I saw you last looked at Legacy of Death. one of my favorites! Fantastic! Did you see it with your new DVD set from Germany? How do you like it? Sorry if I am asking in the wrong section.
A little thread drift is fine I am sure :)

No, it is north of London - I was using Google Maps, in this sort of area: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll ... 3&t=m&z=12

You can then zoom out using the slider to see where it is in relation to London. Of course, Tara's, Emma's etc apartments are in London (the exteriors of them, anyway).

Here's a very familiar lake (and bridge)... https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll ... 9&t=m&z=16

Yes, I watched Legacy of Death on the German set. The others on that disk were All Done With Mirrors (or as the Germans call it, Mirror, Mirror, In The Hand) and False Witness. They all looked lovely, and I was able to turn the subtitles off with no problems. The UK set looks lovely too, though!
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

Thank you so much Franky. I was confused because i read somewhere that Avengerland was in southern England but i guess it must be in several different areas around London. I really appreciate the maps and showing me the lake.
What made you decide to buy the German set? If you had to do it all over would you buy both of them or just one? Was just curious. I ordered the UK set. i will be fighting with the packaging no doubt when it arrives. :roll:
Speed Six
Little Wonder

Post by Speed Six »

anti-clockwise wrote:Thank you so much Franky. I was confused because i read somewhere that Avengerland was in southern England but i guess it must be in several different areas around London.
Anywhere south of Birmingham could roughly be described as southern England, as opposed to 'The North', which some southerners regard as a completely different country ! So, in that respect Avengerland is in southern England. And as mentioned by Franky, for reallly detailed information about locations featured in the Avengers (and many other TV shows) see Tony McKay's appropriately named website here -

http://avengerland.theavengers.tv/intro.htm
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

anti-clockwise wrote:Thank you so much Franky. I was confused because i read somewhere that Avengerland was in southern England but i guess it must be in several different areas around London. I really appreciate the maps and showing me the lake.
What made you decide to buy the German set? If you had to do it all over would you buy both of them or just one? Was just curious. I ordered the UK set. i will be fighting with the packaging no doubt when it arrives. :roll:
The German set has been an ambition of mine for some time, after reading what the Roobarb's forum thread had to say about it: http://www.zetaminor.com/roobarb/showth ... ost1389470

I just had to save up enough money... The main attraction for me was getting a version of Legacy of Death without the picture and sound problems of other releases, and also to experience the "tasty packaging" and the books which I must admit are very nice indeed (although not worth buying the set just for that). The disks slip in to pages as thick as the UK set, but into recessed disk-shapes from the front, so they don't risk the scratching of sliding in to pockets from the top.

The German set doesn't have all the extras of the UK set, though, and also the Series 1 reconstructions have locked German subtitles on screen. But I have the reconstructions already, and I won't be selling the UK set, as I am a completist :)

Looks like I made a mistake assuming there were subtitles - apart from the reconstructed series 1 episodes, there are no subtitles; German audio is available as an option, as well as the English audio. Sounds like a good way to practice my German, if I select the "wrong" one!

Alan Hayes covered the set at the bottom of this page on his site: http://declassified.theavengers.tv/wonders_de_dvd.htm

As he says, "Series 2 and 3 plus the surviving Series 1 episodes were dubbed into German language during 2011 and this release marks the first home video release of these episodes in Germany."

Alan Hayes said this on Roobarb's: "In the main, the big loss from the UK set to the German are most of the commentaries from Series 4-6 and one New Avengers commentary is missing also. Additionally, they only feature one of the Emma Peel short films, Das Diadem. No sign of Minikillers, which is marvellous (in its own very individual way!) or the colour footage from Das Diadem (aka Der Goldene Schlüssel). I've also compared the German and 'corrected' UK versions of Legacy of Death. There's definitely a pitch speed-up on the UK replacement disc, but it has to be said that the actual print used on the German set is clearly from an inferior source and has a video fault. I can't think of the actual term at the moment, but edges are 'fizzing'. Apologies for the dunderhead explanation, but the muggy heat is getting to my brain!"

I didn't notice any picture problem on Legacy, so maybe they've fixed that since a year ago, or maybe my brain is fizzy too :)
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

Franky you rock!!!! That was the most thorough explanation i could ask for. I am so disappointed because I already ordered the UK set and I am longing to see Legacy of Death. Haven't seen it since I was a little kid and I thought it was fantastic. Now you say that particular episode in the UK version is not such a good copy.
I can see this is more complex than I even relized. I agree that commentary at the beginning can make it so much more interesting especially the final years. If I may ask, who did they get to do the UK commentary for seasons 4-6?
I was also confused. I thought that the German set did not include TNA but I guess it does. So then it's mostly the bonus material that is lacking in the German set. That is a deal breaker. But bad packaging in the UK set is also a deal breaker.
Well I may end up like yourself and get both sets. What a waste.
Actually have a question. If it was mostly the Legacy episode you were looking for why not buy that season individually rather than the whole german set? Is it just legacy that is speeded up on the UK set or others too?
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

There's no perfect set, unfortunately. It all depends what faults we're prepared to put up with. I'd say the UK complete set is good value, and the German set is also good value especially if you can get it cheaper; it wasn't much fun going through the pain of the UK individual sets which all needed two or three repressings due to faults (except season 3 which was always fine). I lost count of how many I had to send off for replacements.

Things are as good as they're going to get now with the Complete series sets being the best. You shouldn't be disappointed. I think the extras are great on the UK set, and the sound issues are not horrendous even for real nitpickers like me. I don't think any of the other episodes remain speeded-up/pitch-shifted, but the Noise Reduction is a bit heavy-handed. With Legacy, just boost the bass and it should sound OK.

I didn't want to get an individual German set for season 6, because I am a completist and would just end up buying all the other seasons anyway at greater cost. Plus, I wanted the big book :) I was being a bit facetious - I do want to see what the other prints are like, as they're mostly different to the UK sets, and looking at a few others on the disks they do look nicer to me, that's just my preference for colour balance, stability versus dirt/sparkle, and brightness, I am sure - it's all subjective.

TNA is in the German big set, but they're unrestored prints, so you might as well buy the Optimum TNA-only set with the extra commentary. I do recommend that series, especially season 1. It's great fun especially for Avengers fans not hung up on Emma Peel.
Last edited by Frankymole on Mon May 27, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.