Which Avengers characters deserved a spin off series

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

anti-clockwise wrote:How do we know the broadcast order? Just curious but how many episodes was Venus in? For some reason I recall 3 but i'm not sure and too lazy to go to my boxset. :lol:
You can find the broadcast orders here: http://www.theavengers.tv/forever/order-gale.htm (there are ones for the other seasons, too).

The Venus episodes are marked VS on this list: http://www.theavengers.tv/forever/gale.htm
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Piers is always a fountain of information. Thank you for that. I never realised Venus was in 6 episodes. I have been watching Persuaders and recently Randall and Hopkirk deceased so much that I have been neglecting my new Avengers box set.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Not sure if I (Piers) had contributed to this discussion but thanks all the same...

I happen to like Venus, although more so once she drops the fluffy wig.
All her songs or on my YouTube channel, and accessible thorugh the website.

http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avenger ... /series-2/

I too, list the companion of the week ;)
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

dissolute wrote:Not sure if I (Piers) had contributed to this discussion but thanks all the same...

I happen to like Venus, although more so once she drops the fluffy wig.
All her songs or on my YouTube channel, and accessible thorugh the website.

http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avenger ... /series-2/

I too, list the companion of the week ;)
Hands down you have one of the best go to websites on the Avengers for pretty much any question. Just like on this thread.
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

There were so many great character parts. But unfortunately they were so short it's hard to imagine them having a spin off of their own. Were any of these characters repeated in different episodes. To me it looks like they are all different.
Last edited by anti-clockwise on Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

I thought someone on this thread mentioned Eccles with his pint size dog on Never Never Die. I just saw this yesterday. He was one of the most funny characters I think on the Avengers. Actually it was really forward thinking in the 60's to be playing a chess game with people from all over the world. Sort of what is done on the internet today. But I digress. I wish they had not killed off his character. The odd thing is this Avengers had the fewest murders that I can recall. I think Eccles was the only one and it was later on in the episode that he is killed off. Hands down the best character of the series.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

anti-clockwise wrote:I thought someone on this thread mentioned Eccles with his pint size dog on Never Never Die. I just saw this yesterday. He was one of the most funny characters I think on the Avengers. Actually it was really forward thinking in the 60's to be playing a chess game with people from all over the world. Sort of what is done on the internet today. But I digress. I wish they had not killed off his character. The odd thing is this Avengers had the fewest murders that I can recall. I think Eccles was the only one and it was later on in the episode that he is killed off. Hands down the best character of the series.
spot on with that opinion...
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

Frankymole wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote: Me, too. I think her character would have fit into the plotlines better if she'd been used as she was intended. She was never written to be a standalone partner, and her character probably wouldn't have come in for as much criticism if she'd been given her intended function.
It would have from me. The thing I criticise (can't stand) is the bloody musical breaks and her awful songs. She can sing, but the songs are trite and useless (far from swinging 60s or Julie's usual repertoire) and the screech of the plot brakes slamming on is almost audible... even villains of the calibre of Edwin Ritchfield stand around with a simpering smile while she and the dreadful jazz trio "perform".

Just imagine if Venus and Steed had sat down to watch Johnny Dankworth and Cleo Laine do a proper jazzy musical break instead. Bliss. In fact just chuck away the Avengers plot and have a decent jazz evening.
I just saw The Removal Men and you are so right about the music. I am an amateur jazz pianist so I was particularly interested in seeing what you were referring to. First of all, I don't think David Lee was playing jazz. He was a good piano player but sounded like show tunes to me. And none that were recognizable or as you said interesting to hear. The opening with people doing a peppermint twist or 60's dance to a 12 bar blues makes no sense whatsoever. They really needed to commit to the kind of club it was. If it was jazz then no one was going to do the twist or dance to it frankly.

If it was a jazz club then they really needed to create a smoky jazz room feel instead of an off broadway performance. The only jazz in the whole episode was the 12 bar blues at the beginning. He did a boogy woogy but that is not exactly jazz.
now here is what is strange. You mention wanting to hear Dankworth, but Dankworth asked David Lee to arrange for him.
David Lee just celebrated his 87th B day. He has gotten a name for himself as a jazz pianist but he started out doind jingles for commercials, and does songwriting and arranging. All that is not jazz. I think someone mentions in the episode just playing- was it with Miles Davis??. I don't think Miles would have played with those guys. Solid musicians but not jazz. There was no improvisation. That's another clue. like you said it was not subtle.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:How do we know the broadcast order? Just curious but how many episodes was Venus in? For some reason I recall 3 but i'm not sure and too lazy to go to my boxset. :lol:
You can find the broadcast orders here: http://www.theavengers.tv/forever/order-gale.htm (there are ones for the other seasons, too).

The Venus episodes are marked VS on this list: http://www.theavengers.tv/forever/gale.htm
how about ' mother' getting a nod ???