Emma Peel Megaset US Rerelease

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

davidf
Little Wonder

Post by davidf »

Why would they not mention the remastering? That's "bizarre" isn't it? I will ask my contact at StudioCanal.

Edit: I think they say 3 seasons because they include forget me knot
Brisco
Nutshell

Post by Brisco »

I agree that the "3 Seasons" claim is probably because of the inclusion of "Forget Me Knot," but that's definitely misleading.

Adding up the numbers, 16 discs is the exact same as the old A&E Emma Peel Megaset (minus the bonus disc), whereas the two Peel seasons from Optimum would add up to 14 discs (perhaps plus one more to include "The Forget Me Knot"), so I'm afraid that's a further indication that this is just a repackaging of what was already out there.

That said, it does seem odd that, as Alan points out, A&E would re-license the material and reject the remasters! The only real hope I can think of is the example of their Prisoner releases. When they put out the Prisoner Blu-rays with all of Network's bonus content, they simultaneously reissued their own old DVD set with identical packaging to the Blu-rays, but none of the new bonus material. Could it be possible that they're playing a similar strategy here, and plan to release the remastered Optimum versions on Blu-ray, along with the Optimum bonus content and the same cover art? I'll admit that's wishful thinking and seems unlikely because A&E has never led the way in terms of high-def releases of British cult shows. In the past, they've followed Network's lead with The Prisoner and Space: 1999. But maybe--just maybe--they've got a Blu-ray in the pipeline (perhaps in concert with an Optimum BD release of the filmed seasons), but wanted to jump the gun with their DVD reissue to capitalize on Dame Diana's newfound U.S. recognition thanks to Game of Thrones and Doctor Who? We can only hope...
Go beyond The Avengers! Visit my spy blog, The Double O Section.
Tara46
Thingumajig

Post by Tara46 »

Received my copy of this set today. I can confirm that this is a repackaging of the previous releases. DVD menus are the same as used before. Still represents good value for money though, but the choice of artwork certainly could be seen to be a little misleading as it's the same format as used on the UK Optimum sets.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Sounds disappointing. I am so glad I went for the multi regional player and the 50th anniversary collection.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

anti-clockwise wrote:Sounds disappointing. I am so glad I went for the multi regional player and the 50th anniversary collection.
After that, who needs anything less?
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

MRotten wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:Sounds disappointing. I am so glad I went for the multi regional player and the 50th anniversary collection.
After that, who needs anything less?
:lol: LOL!

Even if I have all the good stuff, still don't like last decades DVD's re done.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Brisco wrote:I agree that the "3 Seasons" claim is probably because of the inclusion of "Forget Me Knot," but that's definitely misleading.

Adding up the numbers, 16 discs is the exact same as the old A&E Emma Peel Megaset (minus the bonus disc), whereas the two Peel seasons from Optimum would add up to 14 discs (perhaps plus one more to include "The Forget Me Knot"), so I'm afraid that's a further indication that this is just a repackaging of what was already out there.

That said, it does seem odd that, as Alan points out, A&E would re-license the material and reject the remasters! The only real hope I can think of is the example of their Prisoner releases. When they put out the Prisoner Blu-rays with all of Network's bonus content, they simultaneously reissued their own old DVD set with identical packaging to the Blu-rays, but none of the new bonus material. Could it be possible that they're playing a similar strategy here, and plan to release the remastered Optimum versions on Blu-ray, along with the Optimum bonus content and the same cover art? I'll admit that's wishful thinking and seems unlikely because A&E has never led the way in terms of high-def releases of British cult shows. In the past, they've followed Network's lead with The Prisoner and Space: 1999. But maybe--just maybe--they've got a Blu-ray in the pipeline (perhaps in concert with an Optimum BD release of the filmed seasons), but wanted to jump the gun with their DVD reissue to capitalize on Dame Diana's newfound U.S. recognition thanks to Game of Thrones and Doctor Who? We can only hope...

i am hoping for a decent blu ray release..until then, sticking with my original a & e peel mega set on dvd
Lando
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Lando »

Has anyone seen or read any reviews of the new A&E Reissued US DVD set?
John Johnson
Nutshell

Post by John Johnson »

I saw the set on sale at my local Sam's Club several weeks ago. It looks like a lot of the discs are stacked one on top of each in the box. Can this be confirmed?
Lando
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Lando »

John Johnson wrote:I saw the set on sale at my local Sam's Club several weeks ago. It looks like a lot of the discs are stacked one on top of each in the box. Can this be confirmed?
Ouch! If this is true, it is pretty awful!!