The New Avengers - ITV4

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Johnny O wrote:You never know indeed what will turn up and where. The two recent Doctor Who finds prove this. It's a shame only 5 of the 6 episodes from Web of Fear have surfaced, but their discovery gives hope that episode 3 is out there as well as other classic shows, such as The Avengers. Some lost TV classics have shown up in the most random, bizarre places.

how true.....thank god for private collectors, etc
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

This made me smile.

From last month's SFX #242.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:This made me smile.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r192 ... ef8cd6.jpg

Teehee.

Now if only he'd been able to see "Target!", he'd be raving about the series even more (if that's possible) :)
Last watched: "Concerto"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Frankymole wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:This made me smile.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r192 ... ef8cd6.jpg

Teehee.

Now if only he'd been able to see "Target!", he'd be raving about the series even more (if that's possible) :)
Maybe he went and bought the DVD set with the money he would have used on Marvel merchandise. :wink:

Just nice to see the other Avengers mentioned in the same breath as the Marvel ones--especially since it's TNA! 8)

mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Frankymole wrote:Live drama actors at their best. The only recent-ish televised live drama I've seen (I avoid the soaps, they occasionally try it) was the 2005 "Quatermass Experiment", and even that cheated when it came out on DVD by replacing some foul-ups with the recorded rehearsal footage from earlier in the day. I've kept my original tape from the broadcasts, with mistakes and all - there's a great bit of corpsing when one actor forgets his lines and there's no prompt (in the 1960s, the floor manager had a mute button so they could cut the broadcast sound and prompt the line). Hendry and Macnee are more assured in their covering the cracks, even though it wasn't totally live you can see their craft in trying to ensure as few stops as possible.
There are loads of great moments from the "live" seasons, I agree. Patrick was always very good live, despite his habit of being a bit accident-prone on-set. He recovers from any gaffes beautifully, whether they're his or someone else's, and Honor said he was always ad-libbing, so she had to really stay on her toes to keep up with him. The scene in The Frighteners is wonderful because it speaks to a level of trust between Patrick and Ian. They work through the rough patch together and put things back on track. I'm sure there were many, many other examples of this in the other episodes. It's such a shame we'll never get to see them. :(
mark of an good actor..when they can recover quickly...etc
Ronald Binge
White Dwarf

Post by Ronald Binge »

Hello, haven't been on in a while.

With regard to the titles on TNA, I watched the two seasons on RTE in Ireland when they first came out in 1976 and 1977. Season 1 was ballyhooed as a World Premiere in the RTE Guide as the main UK channels were (and are) widely available in Ireland.

The opening titles were always, from The Eagle's Nest onwards, the animated ones. I only saw the filmed compilation ones from Nineties repeats onwards.

In season one, the commercial break bumpers were the filmed ones of Gareth, Joanna and Patrick in a circle with 'THE NEW AVENGERS' in the heavy typeface of the Tara King era.

For season two, the break bumpers were a zooming Lion and title.

The closing credits in season one were done over the green background reminiscent of the break bumpers for that season.

Season two's closing credits were done over the Lion logo.

Now back to my newly got Megaset - slogging through Mission to Montreal..
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

Ronald Binge wrote:Hello, haven't been on in a while.

...Now back to my newly got Megaset - slogging through Mission to Montreal..

Welcome back! There are some very good episodes just around the corner with some spooky scenes in 'Dead on Course', a fine performance from Steed's contact at the start of 'The Sell Out' and more.
Ron
Last Watched : The Gladiators
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Starting at 1:35, a nice cheesy 1970s advert for Look-In magazine with the New Avengers on the front:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aG3wYI9Qus
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Frankymole wrote:Starting at 1:35, a nice cheesy 1970s advert for Look-In magazine with the New Avengers on the front:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aG3wYI9Qus
I love it, though you'd think they'd be able to come up with something a bit more dynamic than just showing the cover. :wink: Thanks for passing that along, Franky. :D

Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Yes, it's rather stiff and no-nonsense, I love the pompous voice over :)