Tara's Flat

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
highflyingbird
White Dwarf

Tara's Flat

Post by highflyingbird »

I've always found Tara's flat to be a curious design. There are two doors, both of which seem to lead out into some sort of passageway/landing area, despite being on opposite sides. Why have the high door, and the staircase/fireman's pole, at all, since their only function is as an entrance to the flat, when there's a perfectly serviceable entrance already at ground level? Has the designer of this set ever explained his/her choices? Or does anyone know any real rooms that are actually like this?
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

My first thought was-great for stunt work and Ray Austin!
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
ischtar
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by ischtar »

Oo
Last edited by ischtar on Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Re: Tara's Flat

Post by Rodders »

highflyingbird wrote:I've always found Tara's flat to be a curious design. There are two doors, both of which seem to lead out into some sort of passageway/landing area, despite being on opposite sides. Why have the high door, and the staircase/fireman's pole, at all, since their only function is as an entrance to the flat, when there's a perfectly serviceable entrance already at ground level? Has the designer of this set ever explained his/her choices? Or does anyone know any real rooms that are actually like this?
I don't think realism is really the point. This is what I wrote about the apartment last year:

Our first glimpse of Tara King’s apartment reveals a set designed for action, from its two separate entrances, its ‘frilly’ white twisting staircase with room to hide underneath, to a fireman’s pole one just knows will be employed on a regular basis. It resembles an indoor adventure playground.

In addition, there is an eclectic collection of aesthetic objects: a pair of spectacle-shaped mirrors, a penny farthing attached to the wall, a post box (drinks cabinet), some bizarre telephones, loud floral curtains with matching sofa, psychedelic stag heads mounted on a pink background, and a collection of daggers. We can already guess that some of these will become ‘active’ props in future episodes. (These accessories would be playfully altered as the season went on, as is the case in Have Guns – Will Haggle with the bizarre, ugly, porcelain heads bearing Tara’s wigs.) Its owner will be less cool and refined than Emma Peel, but younger and funkier, perhaps.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I used to live in a flat with back stairs for the milkman, laundry and the dustbins. The milk was left in a hatch which opened on the other side into the kitchen.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Charlie Parker
Little Wonder

Post by Charlie Parker »

Isn't it just good design to have more then one entrance to a flat in case of fire? I suspect one door, as has been noted, leads to the Garage/Laundry services and the other is a social entrance.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Tara's Flat

Post by mousemeat »

Rodders wrote:
highflyingbird wrote:I've always found Tara's flat to be a curious design. There are two doors, both of which seem to lead out into some sort of passageway/landing area, despite being on opposite sides. Why have the high door, and the staircase/fireman's pole, at all, since their only function is as an entrance to the flat, when there's a perfectly serviceable entrance already at ground level? Has the designer of this set ever explained his/her choices? Or does anyone know any real rooms that are actually like this?
I don't think realism is really the point. This is what I wrote about the apartment last year:

Our first glimpse of Tara King’s apartment reveals a set designed for action, from its two separate entrances, its ‘frilly’ white twisting staircase with room to hide underneath, to a fireman’s pole one just knows will be employed on a regular basis. It resembles an indoor adventure playground.

In addition, there is an eclectic collection of aesthetic objects: a pair of spectacle-shaped mirrors, a penny farthing attached to the wall, a post box (drinks cabinet), some bizarre telephones, loud floral curtains with matching sofa, psychedelic stag heads mounted on a pink background, and a collection of daggers. We can already guess that some of these will become ‘active’ props in future episodes. (These accessories would be playfully altered as the season went on, as is the case in Have Guns – Will Haggle with the bizarre, ugly, porcelain heads bearing Tara’s wigs.) Its owner will be less cool and refined than Emma Peel, but younger and funkier, perhaps.
good points...it was different than Emma's
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

I've written before in other threads that Tara's flat defies close scrutiny and is best treated as a cool space that didn't really exist.

Some quirks are that there appears to be no kitchen as the only time we see Tara performing any sort of culinary feat, she does so in her living room. Best place to ice a wedding cake.

Doesn't matter which window she (or visitors) look out of on which side of the building, they always have the same street view.

The lower door sometimes leads to an area Tara uses for storage or even a bedroom, as it's where she heads to retrieve her suitcases. Other times, it leads to a public area where callers have direct access to the door.

The view from the miracle windows always shows Tara's flat to be at the top of the building. Except when Mother gets lost in the fog. Unless he has a truly incredible vehicle that drives upstairs. He just might.

Everything in Tara's apartment is also remarkably resilient. Every single piece of china can be smashed to pieces one week and remarkably be totally intact seven days later. Purdey shopped at the same miracle store when choosing her furnishings and knick knacks.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Johnny O wrote:I've written before in other threads that Tara's flat defies close scrutiny and is best treated as a cool space that didn't really exist.

Some quirks are that there appears to be no kitchen as the only time we see Tara performing any sort of culinary feat, she does so in her living room. Best place to ice a wedding cake.
Many modern London "yuppie" flats don't have a kitchen, as they assume the Bright Young Things either Eat Out or Order In. And I can't see Tara being tied to the kitchen stove whatever her deluded critics claim.

I liked the model train that ran outside Tara's window.

The corridor next to the door by the swords was meant o be on the ground floor as far as I can tell. The back door up the "pole" led out on to a roof area as seen in "Legacy of Death" - it all makes more sense than Steed's flat with its "nursery door" onto the street and impossible back staircase.
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

I think that of the five apartments seen in The Avengers on film - six if you count Emma's remodelled one mid-Season 5 - Tara's is the most interesting. It is an adventure waiting to happen.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art