5 for me
Ron
Last Watched : The Gladiators
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

My review:

http://www.theavengers.tv/forever/newave-17vr.htm#2

I was expecting the worst, and this wasn't at all bad. In fact, it is one of the very few second-season New Avengers redolent of the old, from the champagne stick-up to the cunning double-double-cross.

The Avengers?: An excellent directing effort from Ray Austin, who injects plenty of classic-era humour into our heroic trio, and for once Purdey's interactions with Gambit do not feel forced or false. Purdey also gets a great final line which preserves The Avengers' tradition of knowing kinkiness!

Bizarre?: Such a shame about Purdey's appalling "look", then: both costume and hairstyle losing the femininity of season 1 and becoming true products of "the decade that taste forgot". This results in one unbelievable scene. Conspicuous in a Paris street, Purdey 'hides' just yards away from the ultra-cautious Unicorn whilst wearing her garish ensemble, ignored by the simple expedient of donning big sunglasses for a few seconds.

Never mind; at least it's not as daft as a peephole Emmapeeler. Anyway, Steed is elegant and Gambit is... interesting in a green corduroy flared trouser-suit. And the Cornwall car chase, which forms the bonus advertisement on the French DVDs using bizarre doubles of Purdey and Steed, is the best action sequence the series ever had.

Epic?: This is a great episode for mystery fans, with an early twist, some great to-ing and fro-ing as each side outwits the other, and a final plan and pay-off from Steed's scheming brain that I didn't predict until seconds before it occurred (the final lift scene). Very adroit, and perfectly paced from beginning to end. This should have been in the New Avengers' first season, it's that flowing and frothy and fun.

On Target? (Score): Three out of four bowlers. 8/10.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

8/10

Easily the best of the French episodes. No doubt helped by having a proper Avengers director with Ray Austin, giving it the flare and style it needed.

Although I believe it was sort of stock footage, the opening pre-titles sequence is excellent.

There's a real sense of fun and a playfulness to this episode that pulls you along. I love Johnson's score (so sad some of it wasn't included on the album).
shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

Purdey's outfit and hair - not great - and even the famed Purdey Legs look a little on the thin side- even though a flick of them rescues Gambit :D