Avengerland Regained: TNA

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.

Do you think our final book should include the film?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 36

Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Faces is perfect for you because you love examining the human aspect, the characters and how they interact with each other.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Rodders wrote:I think that's taking it a step too far. I love Target but it doesn't have the subtlety of the best Avengers Season 4s. Is it really the best NA? What about Sleeper, The Eagle's Nest or Cat Amongst the Pigeons?
Sleeper has some pacing problems. Pigeons is loved by me and you, but David K Smith only scored it two bowlers out of four and some people (incomprehensibly) see weaknesses with it. They're both fine episodes though.

Hang subtlety, I enjoy Target! enormously for the grand guignol characters and performances. It also looks fantastic, with great directorial flair and visual panache.

Interestingly (?) David K Smith's site's Top 5 of TNA lists Target! as #4, amongst these:

Tale of the Big Why: Now, why couldn't they have all been this good? Short on violence, long on cleverness.

Dead Men Are Dangerous: The combination of a deeply sentimental script and one of Patrick Macnee's most moving performances make this a must-see, and with the possible exception of "Forward Base" it is the only second season episode worth watching. While it stands at the top of many other Best Of lists, it doesn't quite make it there for me because it is also rather dark and brooding, whereas my #1 is so much more fun.

The Eagle's Nest: A hopeful start for the series—after all, Nazis are always fun!

Target!: Though flawed, it is clever and especially worthwhile for its study of the relationships between our heroes.

Faces: A "been there, done that" that's worth doing again, if for no other reason than the great Purdey-Gambit rapport.

For me the "fun" aspect - the reason David's #1 pips his #2 - is paramount for The [New] Avengers, ultimately. And I just find Target! more fun than any other episode. Sometimes it is more likely to be viewed by me than a 1960s episode, just as a splendid pick-me-up.
Last watched: "Concerto"
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Yeah, I think Dead Men are Dangerous and The Eagle's Nest are right up there. Tale of the Big Why is boring as hell.

I was bored by Target! the first time around, was more interested the second time. Still have problems with some of the relationships though...
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Tale of the Big Why is loathed in France, although I like it. Target! has such a wonderful set and mannequins are one of my favourite Avengers leitmotifs. I adore the pint-sized assassin, particularly when he bursts the balloons.
Cat Amongst the Pigeons has the best direction of any New Avengers episode and John Hough's weird angles and experimentation take it into a class of its own...for me!
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Lhbizness wrote:Yeah, I think Dead Men are Dangerous and The Eagle's Nest are right up there. Tale of the Big Why is boring as hell.

I was bored by Target! the first time around, was more interested the second time. Still have problems with some of the relationships though...
Looking forward to your take on Obssession. Please don't forget to send me the personal details you want to appear in the contributors' section: e.g. name, profession, hobbies/passions etc. It's a shame you haven't been able to contribute to the Peel colour book although I do have a suggestion for that if you want to e-mail me.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Rodders wrote:Faces is perfect for you because you love examining the human aspect, the characters and how they interact with each other.
That's one of the reasons I love it, yes. Target! has that as well, which is why it's another favourite. 8)
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Speed Six
Little Wonder

Post by Speed Six »

Rodders wrote:Tale of the Big Why is loathed in France, although I like it.
Let's see if je peux faire changer leur avis ! (Lhbizniss's as well !)
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Rodders wrote:Faces is perfect for you because you love examining the human aspect, the characters and how they interact with each other.
That's one of the reasons I love it, yes. Target! has that as well, which is why it's another favourite. 8)
exactly...when they get it right, it's awesome. when they miss the mark, we sorta wince, but still find something good about it.
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Rodders wrote:
Lhbizness wrote:Yeah, I think Dead Men are Dangerous and The Eagle's Nest are right up there. Tale of the Big Why is boring as hell.

Looking forward to your take on Obssession. Please don't forget to send me the personal details you want to appear in the contributors' section: e.g. name, profession, hobbies/passions etc. It's a shame you haven't been able to contribute to the Peel colour book although I do have a suggestion for that if you want to e-mail me.
Will do!
Rodders wrote:
Tale of the Big Why is loathed in France, although I like it.

Let's see if je peux faire changer leur avis ! (Lhbizniss's as well !)
I'm willing to be convinced. I tend to dislike episodes that feature a lot of apparently needless running around (as this one does) and a lot of Steed making phone calls or hanging out in Ministry offices (ditto). I know that Macnee was older and not in the best shape, but his part could have much better written in some of these episodes to give him a bit more to do than be a daddy figure to our young heroes. But maybe there's something hidden in there that you'll draw out!
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

I think our New Avengers book could be the most interesting of them all because it really splits opinion, even more so that the Tara season. Is it part of the Avengers history? Yes, in my opinion. Is it collectively good? The first season, yes. The second, no. But what will other contributors have to say, particularly Timeless?