Prequel to The New Avengers

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

paulpdjh wrote: 1973-74 Steed and Charly (after reading the Tale of the Double Cross script I quite like the idea of an Avengers girl called Charly)

1974-75 Steed, Gambit and Charly

1975 onwards Steed, Gambit and Purdey
I think Charly (perhaps short for Charlene or Charlotte?) is Purdey's forename :) Her "first name" in more ways than one...
Last watched: "Concerto"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Frankymole wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote: I suspect Tara did hang around for awhile (after they got down from space!), into the early seventies, and that Gambit did turn up pre-1976. That leaves a roughly three or four-year gap that has all sorts of interesting possibilities. We have Hannah Wilde from the stage play, who slots in quite neatly and arguably is an official Avengers girl. I also like the idea of giving Charly an identity of her own. Or maybe Steed went partnerless for awhile, or worked with lots of different people, or went off the grid on some top secret work? The possibilities are endless! :D
Tara seems to have worked with Steed for another couple of years (though Mother seems to vanish), into about 1971/72 or so from my vague recollections of the TV Comic strips and Andrew Pixley's wonderful "The Avengers Files". She didn't get a proper leaving story as the TV Comic strip licence expired or they just dropped it after a couple of years of TV repeats and general clarity that it wasn't coming back (though TV Comic managed to continue several strips for years after the TV equivalents ceased production - mainly trading on reruns or fond memories!). I expect one of her last missions involved fighting thugs in her new apartment whilst sharing Laurent-Perrier champagne with Steed ;) Maybe she moved to France? And thence perhaps to Quebec or thereabouts...
Perhaps Tara had already left by 1975, then popped back to Steed's for a visit with a few unwanted friends in tow. :wink:

There was a fic once where Tara had married a Quebecer and moved to Canada. It is tempting to get the Canada link in there somewhere. Linda was in Toronto while they were shooting TNA after all!
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Perhaps Tara had already left by 1975, then popped back to Steed's for a visit with a few unwanted friends in tow. :wink:

There was a fic once where Tara had married a Quebecer and moved to Canada. It is tempting to get the Canada link in there somewhere. Linda was in Toronto while they were shooting TNA after all!
You're right, Jay, we must consider that in 1971, partner of Steed was Hana Wilde. :wink:

And, Jay, I just thought maybe we had a chance to see Linda, if would Canadian producers filmed three planned episodes for TNA. Hmm... Linda as a villain driver in the van "Toronto Star"? :D
Denis
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

denisrigg wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Perhaps Tara had already left by 1975, then popped back to Steed's for a visit with a few unwanted friends in tow. :wink:

You're right, Jay, we must consider that in 1971, partner of Steed was Hana Wilde. :wink:

And, Jay, I just thought maybe we had a chance to see Linda, if would Canadian producers filmed three planned episodes for TNA. Hmm... Linda as a villain driver in the van "Toronto Star"? :D
As played by Sue Lloyd, no less. I actually would have really loved to see Sue as Hana. She never really got to strut her stuff in The Baron the way she could have.

I sadly doubt Linda would have done TNA, even if they'd done more episodes, but I would have loved it if she had. I always picture a little cameo at the end of an episode where Steed meets her for dinner, while Purdey and Gambit look on from afar, asking one another, "Is that who I think it is?" :wink:

Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

And I like to think that Tara is still in orbit...
:wink:

I like the idea of Steed having a few partners following his return from space (God, but I cannot take Bizarre seriously), slowly working his way up in the Ministry and beginning to run his own agents. Would have loved to see the way that both Gambit and Purdey were recruited - particularly the latter, as she was obviously not in the military or a part of the spy game in her earlier career.

Are Tara or Cathy ever explicitly referenced in TNA? I know their names appear on files, and those pictures in Steed's house, but does anyone ever actually talk about them directly?
paulpdjh
Winged Avenger

Post by paulpdjh »

Lhbizness wrote:Are Tara or Cathy ever explicitly referenced in TNA? I know their names appear on files, and those pictures in Steed's house, but does anyone ever actually talk about them directly?
I don't recall Cathy or Tara being explicitly referenced in TNA TV series, although I think Tara was mentioned in one of TNA novels.
Paul
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

See, I would have loved to see Cathy in TNA (second preference after Emma). She was his first female partner, and knew a very different Steed that anyone else did.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

paulpdjh wrote:
Lhbizness wrote:Are Tara or Cathy ever explicitly referenced in TNA? I know their names appear on files, and those pictures in Steed's house, but does anyone ever actually talk about them directly?
I don't recall Cathy or Tara being explicitly referenced in TNA TV series, although I think Tara was mentioned in one of TNA novels.
Yes, Tara got name-checked in a novel, but neither her nor Cathy are ever mentioned by name, just in the pictures/files. Emma's the only one who actually gets discussed.

mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
denisrigg wrote:

As played by Sue Lloyd, no less. I actually would have really loved to see Sue as Hana. She never really got to strut her stuff in The Baron the way she could have.

I sadly doubt Linda would have done TNA, even if they'd done more episodes, but I would have loved it if she had. I always picture a little cameo at the end of an episode where Steed meets her for dinner, while Purdey and Gambit look on from afar, asking one another, "Is that who I think it is?" :wink:

now that would have been interesting...very!
shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

Lhbizness wrote:See, I would have loved to see Cathy in TNA (second preference after Emma). She was his first female partner, and knew a very different Steed that anyone else did.
Who wouldn't love to see Cathy (or Emma) in TNA 8) Emma Peel walking in in 'Last of the Cybernauts' as Purdey exercises at her ballet barre , just as Gambit teases Purdey about not ever mentioning Emma...a scene I wouldn't miss... 8) Cathy in TNA...she might offer to train in 'new boy' Gambit :lol: and practice a few judo moves with Purdey :D