Bright Horizons book

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Rodders wrote:bear/bare. I'm afraid that it was a victim of the dreaded spellcheck which also tried changing mane to main despite it referring to a horse. I spotted most of the computer's homophone errors but not that one.
It was in Subversive Champagne as well.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mrs_emma_peel
Winged Avenger

Post by mrs_emma_peel »

Speed Six wrote:Although on first impression it doesn't seem right to single out any contributor for special praise, highlights for me have included Frank Shaile's expedition into 'Smalll Game for Big Hunters' and James Speirs' explosively charged 'Touch of Brimstone'. I'm now really looking forward to the next book in this wonderful series.
Many thanks for your kind words :) Delighted you enjoyed the Brimstone chapter -
very much appreciated and very encouraging :)
James/Mrs Emma Peel
Dan
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Dan »

Speed Six wrote:Now that I've read - although I can hardly say fully digested (it's going to take several readings at the very least) - Bright Horizons, I have to say what a wonderful tribute it is to everyone involved - both with the original series, and with the book itself. Bright Horizons presents a marvellous body of work, with Rodney providing a solid and well structured backbone, and the various contributors fleshing it out in a multi-layered - and indeed multi-national - form. It is an absolutely first class companion to the series itself, offering more insight into the programme and information about its creative development and social context than any of the usual desiccated episode guides, while not been overly academic or intellectual. It really gives a tremendous account of what was involved in creating the series, and what it subsequently came to mean to viewers around the world. It's a great achievement on Rodney's part to have brought us all together as contributors, and I certainly feel privileged to have been able to play a small part in its creation. Like the episodes of the show itself, each of the chapters offers a new take on the subject with each of the writers bringing their own individual style and personal feeling to their particular chapters. Although on first impression it doesn't seem right to single out any contributor for special praise, highlights for me have included Frank Shaile's expedition into 'Smalll Game for Big Hunters' and James Speirs' explosively charged 'Touch of Brimstone'. I'm now really looking forward to the next book in this wonderful series.
Very well said. These chapters do need to be read more than once to be fully appreciated. I read the book in one sitting as soon as I got it and found it totally fascinating. I've gone back and reread each chapter, one per sitting, and got much more out of them.
I also agree that with so much quality it doesn't seem quite right to single out one chapter for praise but (what the heck) I'm going to do it anyway. I really loved JZ Ferguson's chapter on Quick-Quick Slow Death. Her insightful analysis of the character Nicki and what Mrs. Peel's relationship with her says about Mrs. Peel is wonderful. It's a great example of what makes this book so enjoyable. We've all seen these episodes many many times and getting a fresh insight into one of them is always an unexpected pleasure.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Speed Six wrote:I've now finally been able to start reading the fruits of our labours, and a fuller response will follow shortly, but I have to take issue with a grammatical/spelling error I've seen occur twice so far, once on page 44, and then again on page 180. Can anyone tell what it is I'm referring to ? (I wondered at first if it might have been a typo, but in my original draft for The Murder Market the correct usage was employed !)
this has been corrected now although I had to override the spellcheck TWICE to get it right. The Australian Avengers website address has also been corrected.
I have also responded to the popular demand of putting the two contents pages on 'facing' pages so that you can read the entire contents without turning over! (This will be done on all four volumes).
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dan wrote:Very well said. These chapters do need to be read more than once to be fully appreciated. I read the book in one sitting as soon as I got it and found it totally fascinating. I've gone back and reread each chapter, one per sitting, and got much more out of them.
I also agree that with so much quality it doesn't seem quite right to single out one chapter for praise but (what the heck) I'm going to do it anyway. I really loved JZ Ferguson's chapter on Quick-Quick Slow Death. Her insightful analysis of the character Nicki and what Mrs. Peel's relationship with her says about Mrs. Peel is wonderful. It's a great example of what makes this book so enjoyable. We've all seen these episodes many many times and getting a fresh insight into one of them is always an unexpected pleasure.
Thank you, Dan! :D I'm so happy you enjoyed it. I've loved the Emma/Nicki dynamic for years, so I really wanted to write about it for the chapter. It shows Emma's quality as a person, and all their scenes together are a joy. I like to think that Emma arranged for her to get a job somewhere else(hopefully doing something less punishing for her feet!), since she'd wind up unemployed after Emma and Steed shut down the dance studio. 8)
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Now that all typos, mistakes etc. have been corrected, it's perfectly possible to create a hardback version of Bright Horizons (and the forthcoming volumes) if anyone wants one. It costs me nothing - apart from ten minutes online, but obviously the cost of purchasing a copy will be double that of paperbacks.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I'm always keen on hardbacks. I'd buy one.
Last watched: "Concerto"
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

In that case, in a few weeks time I'll make it available as a hardback.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:I'm always keen on hardbacks. I'd buy one.
same here....prefer em.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Rodders wrote:In that case, in a few weeks time I'll make it available as a hardback.
Huzzah! Thanks, Rodney!
Last watched: "Concerto"