Season 5: Another Creative Idea

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Into 'flaming June' and am looking to gather in more episodes this month if at all possible.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Rodders wrote:Into 'flaming June' and am looking to gather in more episodes this month if at all possible.
You'll get my draft of the foreword shortly. I've written the draft, but I need to edit it.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Rodders wrote:As Sam pointed out in his Murder Market chapter, the Wedding and Funeral Marches are disturbingly similar. My father has the Groom humming the Wedding March while killing people. The show liked to combine the two.
was that by choice ? budget ? or juSt black Humour ?
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

black humour and the re-use of the same sets I guess!
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Wonderful foreword just in from Lauren. Many thanks to those who have been pinging chapters in recently. It makes my job in August far easier. Great to have the same crew on board as in Bright Horizons, with one or two new faces. Will be good to have Frankymole, Darren, Jaz and Denis back for subsequent volumes.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

One piece of feedback I've had from lots of buyers of Bright Horizons is whether each volume could have a glossary of quotations in the back as some contributors tend not to use them in their essays. I'm happy to supply these but what do people think? Something like this for each episode, placed at the back of the book:

MAN-EATER OF SURREY GREEN

Steed: Morning Sunrise. A fully fledged bloom of delicate russet tints in a haunting bouquet for you, Mrs. Peel.
Emma: I sense a bribe.
Steed: Nonsense. I want you to get the first fruits of my labour.
Emma: Hm. What nasty situation have you got in store for me this time, hm? You have your own built-in early warning system, you know. A certain look in the eye!

Steed: Trees are our natural heritage. Now indiscriminate felling, mutilation, is as criminal as an act of violence.

Sir Lyle: Do you drink brandy, Mr. Steed?
Steed: If you mean am I accustomed to drinking brandy, Sir Lyle, the answer is yes. If you mean would I like one now, the answer is also yes.
Sir Lyle: Yes, man differs little from plant life. Liquid nutriment is vitally essential.
Steed: I do so agree.
Sir Lyle: Difficult to survive without it.
Steed: And relatively unnecessary.

Sir Lyle: (re. plants) For all we know they…they feel, perhaps even think.

Steed: (re. prickly plant) Imagine sitting on that?! If my car had a roof, I’d have gone through it!
Emma: You’d have gone further than that. These barbs are deadly.

Dr. Sheldon: This thing has an embryonic brain. Oh what a disaster that it was damaged. Imagine a plant that could think…think!

Steed: Brains are marketable.

Sheldon: This is the seed of a climbing plant, a bean stalk…the average bean’s about half an inch long and grows say four or five feet high. Proportionately this would grow to well say two hundred times higher than the Empire State building.
Steed: Charming prospect!
Sheldon: And think of the tendrils.
Emma: I’d rather not!
Sheldon: Reaching out for miles. If it were allowed to seed, it would cover the Earth in a matter of weeks.
Steed: Well, there’d be no shortage of beans.

Sheldon: This was a man-eating plant. If it had germinated, it would have required just as much as we require green vegetables.

Emma: The plant’s only man-eating.

Steed: I’m a herbicidal maniac!
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Do you mean quotations that are referenced with points in the actual essay, or just a general list of quotations of interest?
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

just a general list of interesting quotes, all at the back of the book so not disrupting the flow of it
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Rodders wrote:just a general list of interesting quotes, all at the back of the book so not disrupting the flow of it
Sure, if people are asking for it, then it might be worth pursuing.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I'd be up for that, I always put quotes in my essays as I find the dialogue such an important part of the show.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.