Emma Peel Megaset US Rerelease

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Lhbizness wrote:
Frankymole wrote:If we're talking these days, then most American shows insert rerun episodes during their actual runs, making new episodes harder to catch amongst the welter of repeats. But then they're near-unwatchable anyway, with commercial breaks after the cold-intro/pre-credits, before the end-credits, and many many times in between.
Most of those shows, when they're packaged, don't take the season breaks into account and claim that these are new seasons. Although, having said that, South Park has started lettering season numbers, which drives me crazy.

Beyond an interest in the production of the series, I'm not entirely certain what's gained by splitting these seasons up weirdly, or trying to claim that this is Season 5a and that's Season 6b. The only one that seems to suffer is Tara, but I'm still not convinced that all the problems of her character can be laid at the door of the episodes not being broadcast in production order.

Not a big fan of contemporary TV in general. At least most American shows have than a few episodes a season with a massive break in between, as in shows like Sherlock.
most shows, unless their some mega hit, or weird cult fave, don't have a long production run...usually under 15 episodes..or less or problems with production data, isn't as focused ..
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

The seasons don't overly matter when customers "consume the product" (gads, how I hate that phrase) in massive great chunks of their own choice anyway. But there were undeniably gaps of 3-6 months or more (a "season") on original transmission, which is all the 5a and 5b etc refer to really. It's not particularly useful as a reference, except when one wants to indicate whether one is talking about the Emma Peels before the slight revamp (when they got rid of the "We're Needed" intro scenes, for example) or the later Taras when she got competent :)
Last watched: "Concerto"
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

I guess I'm still unclear as to why any of it matters in the first place - at least the Emma Peels didn't really change over those season breaks, aside from the removal of We're Needed tags (which I always liked). Sounds kind of like fan-speak designed to isolate those in the know and those not.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Lhbizness wrote:I guess I'm still unclear as to why any of it matters in the first place - at least the Emma Peels didn't really change over those season breaks, aside from the removal of We're Needed tags (which I always liked). Sounds kind of like fan-speak designed to isolate those in the know and those not.
i always enjoyed the needed tags. thought they added to the episode
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Lhbizness wrote:I guess I'm still unclear as to why any of it matters in the first place - at least the Emma Peels didn't really change over those season breaks, aside from the removal of We're Needed tags (which I always liked). Sounds kind of like fan-speak designed to isolate those in the know and those not.
I'm sure it doesn't actually matter. And the clearest way to refer to the show is in the 6 seasons that have been used for DVD and overseas sales since time immemorial - I think that way all fans will know what each other are referring to.

Rather than being deliberately exclusionary (is that a word?) I think the production blocks and series 5a/5b, 6a/6b and 7 are mainly used by those of us who delight in the production minutiae to discuss the changes in personnel, approach and sales during those changes (whether the changes were earth-shaking or merely tinkering).

Those who like to discuss the show as seen on screen rather than any background/production stuff won't need the nomenclature.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:
I'm sure it doesn't actually matter. And the clearest way to refer to the show is in the 6 seasons that have been used for DVD and overseas sales since time immemorial - I think that way all fans will know what each other are referring to.

Rather than being deliberately exclusionary (is that a word?) I think the production blocks and series 5a/5b, 6a/6b and 7 are mainly used by those of us who delight in the production minutiae to discuss the changes in personnel, approach and sales during those changes (whether the changes were earth-shaking or merely tinkering).

Those who like to discuss the show as seen on screen rather than any background/production stuff won't need the nomenclature.
nomenclature, indeed ! lol
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Frankymole wrote:I'm sure it doesn't actually matter. And the clearest way to refer to the show is in the 6 seasons that have been used for DVD and overseas sales since time immemorial - I think that way all fans will know what each other are referring to.

Fan nomenclature tends to bother me in general - it becomes a division of those who "get it" and those who don't, and makes it difficult for new fans to enter the fray. There's a protectionism and exclusivity that can develop in fandoms (particularly small or obscure ones) that keeps out new people or people with a different perspective by using fan-specific terms/language that are otherwise incomprehensible to others. So you can't discuss anything without knowing the entire production history, all of the opinions of everyone involved, and the underlying reason why Steed wears a brown bowler instead of a grey one. Not saying that that's happening here, but I'm suspicious of it.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Although the Avengers Dossier book that proposed the 7 seasons view seemed quite arrogant despite its many mistakes (and they hated Tara - so much so that a libellous remark about Linda Thorson led to the first print run of the book being recalled and pulped!), luckily in this case there is so much disagreement amongst fans as to how many seasons there are and how they're constituted that no-one gets excluded, and can debate to their heart's content with no final "correct" conclusion possible :)
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Although the Avengers Dossier book that proposed the 7 seasons view seemed quite arrogant despite its many mistakes (and they hated Tara - so much so that a libellous remark about Linda Thorson led to the first print run of the book being recalled and pulped!), luckily in this case there is so much disagreement amongst fans as to how many seasons there are and how they're constituted that no-one gets excluded, and can debate to their heart's content with no final "correct" conclusion possible :)
recalled ? instant collector's item..the few , if any, that did not get pulped.
starboy9091
Nutshell

Post by starboy9091 »

I decided to get the set, but the one I bought has two boxes with a cardboard sleave over them. One box is labeled Part 1 and the other Part 2 on the front. Series 4 in one box and Series 5 in the other. The discs are also placed better with four holders having one disc on each side. Wish the picture quality was better!

Brad