Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots: The Ultimate Avengers Book

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Anthony McKay
Little Wonder

Post by Anthony McKay »

MikeR wrote:If were talking Elstree Studios lot or nearby, what about the buildings to the east of the studios, where the Bullens truck is seen in Homicide and Old Lace. Unfortunately, these have lond since been demolished and replaced by Imperial Place, but I'm sure you know the area I mean.
I've been looking round the 'Bullens' and 'Gate Studios' vault area, but I don't have enough visual data to eliminate it yet.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

I take it that with your extensive knowledge of MGM Borehamwood Studios, you've ruled out that the footage was not filmed there?
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Anthony McKay wrote:Image
This is the reception to Teddington Studios, Broom Road, Teddington, near Twickenham, indicating that the image was probably taken sometime during the videotape era of The Avengers.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Yes, Iris Productions were effectively an internal ABC company, created to produce ABC's videotaped shows to outside eyes (particularly the taxman) as an independent company, for which there were tax breaks available to ABC.

But they were based at Teddington Lock.

I'm wondering if the external VT location work seen in Warlock was recorded within the Teddington complex...
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

That looks very Series 3, the costume Macnee's wearing...
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Alan wrote:Beirut, of all places. :)
Seemed quite a hospitable place in the mid-60s, if Roger Waters's "Leaving Beirut" travelogue is anything to go by!
Last watched: "Concerto"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Alan wrote:
That looks very Series 3, the costume Macnee's wearing...
priceless...photo....era is now long gone
Anthony McKay
Little Wonder

Post by Anthony McKay »

MikeR wrote:I take it that with your extensive knowledge of MGM Borehamwood Studios, you've ruled out that the footage was not filmed there?

I've tried all the big studios with no luck. For all I know this could be the car rental place. It could be Slough. We certainly need more clues.

For instance, what is that ramp for? Could it be a car show room with two levels of display facing the street? What did the back of H.R.Ownes look like?

We know Patrick was at the real location so why shoot him finding the body back at ABPC.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Anthony McKay wrote:
MikeR wrote:I take it that with your extensive knowledge of MGM Borehamwood Studios, you've ruled out that the footage was not filmed there?

I've tried all the big studios with no luck. For all I know this could be the car rental place. It could be Slough. We certainly need more clues.

For instance, what is that ramp for? Could it be a car show room with two levels of display facing the street? What did the back of H.R.Ownes look like?

We know Patrick was at the real location so why shoot him finding the body back at ABPC.
Kingsbury Motors who were responsible for supplying most of the vehicles on The Avengers were based not that far away from Borehamwood in Kingsbury, but unfortunately I do have an address for them.

Have you given up all hopes of this being in the Pinewood area? Just as a longshot could it have been filmed at what was the Rank Film Labratory premises on the North Orbital Road near Denham? I belive this was either close to or built/adapted from what had been a part of Denham Studios. A company called Deluxe/Austin own this facility now.
Speed Six
Little Wonder

Post by Speed Six »

My money would be on it being in the Uxbridge/Slough area, as this is where all the other recognisable shots with the two cars were filmed. I believe there was a film vehicle hire company (John Anderson ?) based on a trading estate between Cowley and Iver, but nothing on the site now seems to match the shots. Hadn't thought of Denham - I'm not sure when the site was redeveloped after closing as studios. We can rule out Beaconsfield though !