John Garforth - Avengers novels writer!

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Ketman
Thingumajig

Post by Ketman »

He could even be the uncredited screenwriter for Ed Wood's "Plan 9 from Outer Space". The balance of likelihoods, however....
Ian Beard
White Dwarf

Post by Ian Beard »

Sadly, John Garforth has died...

http://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/ ... h-obituary

I first read his quartet of AVENGERS books a year or two before the first C4 repeats. Very 60s, but I'm not sure they actually capture the Rigg era very well.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Very sad RIP. I never knew that there was any talk of replacing Patrick Macnee with Roger Moore. That should just be illegal. I think Patrick was perfect for the role.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

anti-clockwise wrote:Very sad RIP. I never knew that there was any talk of replacing Patrick Macnee with Roger Moore. That should just be illegal. I think Patrick was perfect for the role.
I've never heard that before, and I very much doubt it's true. Where did you hear it?

I never felt that the Garforth books did a very good job of capturing the spirit of the series, but it's another sad loss of someone from that era. We have fewer people who were around when the show was being made every day, and it'll be a very sad day when there are none left at all. :(
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:Very sad RIP. I never knew that there was any talk of replacing Patrick Macnee with Roger Moore. That should just be illegal. I think Patrick was perfect for the role.
I've never heard that before, and I very much doubt it's true. Where did you hear it?

I never felt that the Garforth books did a very good job of capturing the spirit of the series, but it's another sad loss of someone from that era. We have fewer people who were around when the show was being made every day, and it'll be a very sad day when there are none left at all. :(
Well I don't know if it is true, but it was written as one of the first posts on this thread. Maybe just misinformation I hope.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

I interviewed John Garforth in May 2008 for Le Monde des Avengers and the first post is Garforth's answers to my interview. The translation into French here :
http://theavengers.fr/index.php/chapeau ... th-chauvet
A great loss. Mr Garforth was very sympathic.
DerekD
Little Wonder

Post by DerekD »

The Floating Game was the first of the novels I read and to be honest I thought it captured the tone of the series quite well, especially compared to Doctor Who and Star Wars spin off books I've tried to get through over the years...