Dead Man's Treasure Hunt - locations and news

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
mariocki
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by mariocki »

Andrew - thanks for the kind words and likewise, your warm words of appreciation on the Sunday were most welcome. I can't deny that this year was a real headache to organise as we're running out of new places to visit and one of the venues I'd arranged to visit pulled out about 10 days before the event, but hopefully we pulled it off. I will be posting up some pictures of the event as soon as I get time (and find the USB cable for my camera :wink: ) so hopefully people will get an idea of what it was like. I've already started to think about where we could go next year so hopefully it can rival this year's event.
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
Andrew Pixley

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Hi Geoff :)
mariocki wrote:Andrew - thanks for the kind words and likewise, your warm words of appreciation on the Sunday were most welcome.
My pleasure. Everyone involved in putting this one can be most proud of a very enjoyable event. Sorry to have been so brief catching up with you. You work so hard on these and they really are appreciated.
I can't deny that this year was a real headache to organise as we're running out of new places to visit and one of the venues I'd arranged to visit pulled out about 10 days before the event, but hopefully we pulled it off. I will be posting up some pictures of the event as soon as I get time (and find the USB cable for my camera :wink: ) so hopefully people will get an idea of what it was like. I've already started to think about where we could go next year so hopefully it can rival this year's event.
The locations were wonderful, and it really was a terrific line-up. I very much hope that circumstances will allow us to attend next year.

All the best

Andrew
Tara46
Thingumajig

Post by Tara46 »

Andrew Pixley wrote:
Tara46 wrote:Many thanks to all who organised the Dead Man's Treasure Hunt event this year. This was the first time I have attended and I had a wonderful time visiting the locations on the mystery tour & on the Treasure Hunt itself. Thanks to all who made Andy & I welcome and we certainly hope to see everyone again next year :D
So pleased you enjoyed it, and thank you for your very kind conversation on the Sunday. A pleasure to chat to you. Hopefully see you again at the next one. :)

All the best

Andrew
Thanks for the kind words Andrew. I real pleasure to meet you and your Wife. I look forward to reading your viewing notes for the Professionals series 2 once it gets released.

I'm certainly hoping to come again next year.

Best Wishes
Jacqueline :D
Andrew Pixley

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Hello Jacqueline :)
Tara46 wrote:Thanks for the kind words Andrew.
My pleasure.
I real pleasure to meet you and your Wife. I look forward to reading your viewing notes for the Professionals series 2 once it gets released.
Bless you. And I hope you'll enjoy watching the shows themselves even more! :)
I'm certainly hoping to come again next year.
Excellent. It's a strange little sort of an event, and it's changed a lot over the 27 years. Coming back to it this year after a year away really did make it more enjoyable and special for us, and clarified the two aspects that we enjoyed the most: visiting picturesque locations on a superbly well organised tour and having the time time to chat to people who are able to communicate so well their passion for these innovative and notable programmes. Glad you liked it - the team behind it clearly put a lot of effort into it and in trying a few new bits and pieces.

Work permitting, we'll try to get along next year as well. Hopefully see you there.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew Pixley

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Oh, the other really lovely gesture was the provision of the recent trading card set as a keepsake of the weekend. Simple, relevant and a beautiful touch from the organisers.

All the best

Andrew
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

It would be great if some of the regular contributors to this forum who have never attended the event before joined us next year.

Although I have heard that there are a couple of major contributors who intend doing just that, but then there's always room for more.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

MikeR wrote:It would be great if some of the regular contributors to this forum who have never attended the event before joined us next year.

Although I have heard that there are a couple of major contributors who intend doing just that, but then there's always room for more.
Definitely! Are you always going to new places? I suppose that would make it hard after 27 years.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

anti-clockwise wrote:
MikeR wrote:It would be great if some of the regular contributors to this forum who have never attended the event before joined us next year.

Definitely! Are you always going to new places? I suppose that would make it hard after 27 years.
Not always, although this year's location tour took us to two locations that we have never been to before in the Building Research Establishment off Bucknalls Lane at Watford and Camfield Place. In fact these are also two that I personally have never been to because they are on private property.

The team who put the Treasure Hunt together assembled a mixture of new locations and ones we have visiited before like Shenley Hall and Hatfield House, though its mainly Geoff (Mariocki), who arranges the visits, partly because he lives in the area and he is responsible for discovering a great many of them.

As you point out it is a challenge to include places that the event has not visited before and one that is getting increasingly difficult as I'm sure all the major locations in The Avengers have now been found.
Andrew Pixley

Post by Andrew Pixley »

MikeR wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:

Not always, although this year's location tour took us to two locations that we have never been to before in the Building Research Establishment off Bucknalls Lane at Watford and Camfield Place. In fact these are also two that I personally have never been to because they are on private property.

The team who put the Treasure Hunt together assembled a mixture of new locations and ones we have visiited before like Shenley Hall and Hatfield House, though its mainly Geoff (Mariocki), who arranges the visits, partly because he lives in the area and he is responsible for discovering a great many of them.

As you point out it is a challenge to include places that the event has not visited before and one that is getting increasingly difficult as I'm sure all the major locations in The Avengers have now been found.
These two venues were superb weren't they Mike. And to echo the efforts of Geoff, Chris, Annette and the rest of the team in organising this all, ensuring we can get to these places easily, understand how they were used and the history behind them ... all adding up to a quite brilliant tour.

All the best

Andrew
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

You know Andrew, the jewel in the crown would be Hilfield Castle.

Just to explain to readers of the board, Hilfield Castle is a filming location near Elstree that appears in Too Many Christmas Trees and we have known of it as a location for a long time, but the owner would never let a group of people onto his property to take a look and a few photographs.

Unfortunately this situation continued for years, as various letters were sent requesting permission that was always refused. However, it then came to our attention that the property had been sold and so now hopeful of gaining accress another letter was sent...

Unfortunately this story does not have a happy ending, as the new owner's attitude is exactly that of the old one and as such it remains outstanding as a major Avengers location in the Borehamwood/Elstree area that has never been visited by the Treasure Hunt or anyone as far as I know. In fact because of the terrain you cannot even get to glimse this building unless you go on Google Earth or Bing Maps bird's eye view.