US Blu-Ray - Series 5 release

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Re: US Blu-Ray - Series 5 release

Post by anti-clockwise »

John Johnson wrote:
Lando wrote:
Darren wrote:It mentioned in the other thread but deserves it's own thread considering the poor other US releases.

http://videoeta.com/movie/165002/the-avengers-season-5/

Due for release November 11 2014

Shame they aren't starting with series 4.
Pre ordered!! So excited! Finally!!!

I'd also like to know about the transfers.

Interesting that season 4 is coming to France and the UK as well? I'm sure they are region locked?
The link on Amazon UK doesn't seem to list an official release. Are you sure it's legit?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Avengers-Se ... s+season+4
I thought it wasn't coming out till November.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
timlamb
Thingumajig

Post by timlamb »

I wrote Lionsgate on this. I suggest others do the same. [email protected]

"The is in reference to The Avengers season 5 on bluray. Reports are showing this to be a 3 disc set. That is 8, 52 minute episodes on a BD-50. So we are talking a bitrate or around 13 mbps by the time you add in the 5.1 dts-hd track. We haven’t included the extras yet either that are extensive for fans of the series and owned by studio canal so it would be foolish not to include them. I would say 5 episodes max per disc to maintain any measure of quality. If you need to raise the price do so! It is fantastically priced but for a show of this significance it deserves far better than 13 mbps video. Now if the 3 disc info released was in error my apologies. I look forward to hearing your response."
avenger54
White Dwarf

Post by avenger54 »

I mailed Studio Canal in the UK about their plans to release The Avengers series on BD in 2014. Series 4 is scheduled for November 2014, also released in France in November. This was their reply:

We intend to release Series 4,5 and 6 on blu-ray.

Series 4 – 7 discs
Series 5 – 7 discs
Series 6 – 9 discs

That is our intention at the moment…
starboy9091
Nutshell

Post by starboy9091 »

TVShowsonDVD updated their previous information. It will be in Full Screen and have 3 discs.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Avengers-Season-5/20241

From the studio:

"John Steed (MacNee) works for British Intelligence, and the cases he finds are always a bit odd, just on the edge of science fiction. Steed is the ultimate in culture and grace as he saves the world each week, along with his female partner Emma Peel (Rigg). Faced with solving problems such as cyborg killers, a city built under a disused coal mine, a gang put together for adrenalin junkies and a killer who uses a concentrated cold virus to kill his victims by having them sneeze to death, there is never a dull moment at work for this delightful duo.

Keep up with the witty and stylish crime fighting duo as they embark on new adventures when The Avengers: Season 5 arrives for the first time ever on Blu-ray (plus Digital HD) November 11 from Lionsgate Home Entertainment. This classic series follows the escapades of the eccentrically suave John Steed and the strong and sexy Emma Peel, two secret agents whose mission is to face the most mysterious and dangerous situations - although slightly peculiar. Starring Patrick MacNee (TV's "Night Man," Thunder in Paradise) and Diana Rigg (HBO's "Game of Thrones," The Mrs. Bradley Mysteries), the three-disc set features all 24 episodes of Season 5, the first season in color, with never-before-seen artwork. The Avengers: Season 5 will be available for the affordable suggested retail price of $29.99."

Brad
timlamb
Thingumajig

Post by timlamb »

That better be wrong!!! That is identical their original post with the exception of the widescreen. I am highly doubting 3 discs. No one has ever put 8 episodes per disc. 400-425 minutes max on a BD-50 is fine. Also we still don't know about extras. If it is 7 discs as studio canal has stated I expect all the extras.
ikbtops
Little Wonder

Post by ikbtops »

From the Blu ray forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickactual
...So I called Lionsgate. Got a receptionist on the phone...Told her why I was calling and she connected me to a woman who should be able to answer the questions. She was not available, so I left my name, questions, and phone number on her voice mail.
Quick update on the US Lionsgate fiasco:
After still not getting the courtesy of a return call after 2 weeks, I broke down & called again today. I actually got a woman in the home video dept. on the line. The info I got was:
1) They are only planning on releasing S5 here in the U.S. - no immediate plans for S4 or S6.
2) It's 24 eps on 3 discs.
3) Aspect ratio is "full frame". I'm assuming she means 1.33:1, but she couldn't offer any further information.

Soooo wishing those UK releases would be region free right about now."

It looks like the Region A release might be double sided disc, if we're lucky.

Either way, I'm planing on sticking to the French/UK releases and buying the US season 5 release to tide me over until Studio Canal releases the other seasons.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Are those the fixed DVDs (Optimum region 2 final versions), which have had the PAL speedup pitch-corrected down to a 24fps equivalent? Seems strange they would speed up again on a multi-region player.
why can't they get this right ?
timlamb
Thingumajig

Post by timlamb »

[email protected] is listed as the point of contact for the US release.

I added when I e-mailed her. "
"Looking at the press release of 1293 minutes / 3 = overs 7 hours of content per BD-50. Way too much content for any amount of quality. The most I have ever seen on a BD-50 is 4 - 4.5 hours of content for a BD-50. Keeps the bitrate around 20 mbps. It is especially disappointing that the UK and France have confirmed their release of season 4 and 5 will be 7 disc sets!"
Lando
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Lando »

avenger54 wrote:I mailed Studio Canal in the UK about their plans to release The Avengers series on BD in 2014. Series 4 is scheduled for November 2014, also released in France in November. This was their reply:

Series 4 – 7 discs
Series 5 – 7 discs
Series 6 – 9 discs

Hopefully the U.S. market will also release other seasons on blu Ray as well.
Looking forward to the set!!!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Lando wrote:
avenger54 wrote:I mailed Studio Canal in the UK about their plans to release The Avengers series on BD in 2014. Series 4 is scheduled for November 2014, also released in France in November. This was their reply:

Series 4 – 7 discs
Series 5 – 7 discs
Series 6 – 9 discs

Hopefully the U.S. market will also release other seasons on blu Ray as well.
Looking forward to the set!!!
yes...hoping.....but i would not count on it. makes me sad..that this is constantly being screwed up.....and more --here in the states..