Casting information

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Richy
Nutshell

Casting information

Post by Richy »

I'm working my way throught the fantastic Bowler Hat and kinky Boots book written and researched my MarkR. I so so glad that there was information on casting of key characters from the show. What I wanted to know is this, in the chapter on casting Cathy Gale it mentions that Nyree Dawn Porter, Fenella Fielding and Honor Blackman were 1st, 3rd and 5th on the list if my memory serves me. Who was 2nd and 4th choice? Also is there a complete list of all the actresses who were considered, auditioned or screentested for the role of Emma Peel? This sort of thing fascinates me.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Casting information

Post by mousemeat »

Richy wrote:I'm working my way throught the fantastic Bowler Hat and kinky Boots book written and researched my MarkR. I so so glad that there was information on casting of key characters from the show. What I wanted to know is this, in the chapter on casting Cathy Gale it mentions that Nyree Dawn Porter, Fenella Fielding and Honor Blackman were 1st, 3rd and 5th on the list if my memory serves me. Who was 2nd and 4th choice? Also is there a complete list of all the actresses who were considered, auditioned or screentested for the role of Emma Peel? This sort of thing fascinates me.
same here...always wondered what kind of direction the characters, or show would have taken with alternative casting....etc
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Re: Casting information

Post by MikeR »

Richy wrote:I'm working my way throught the fantastic Bowler Hat and kinky Boots book written and researched my MarkR. I so so glad that there was information on casting of key characters from the show. What I wanted to know is this, in the chapter on casting Cathy Gale it mentions that Nyree Dawn Porter, Fenella Fielding and Honor Blackman were 1st, 3rd and 5th on the list if my memory serves me. Who was 2nd and 4th choice? Also is there a complete list of all the actresses who were considered, auditioned or screentested for the role of Emma Peel? This sort of thing fascinates me.
Richy/Mousemeat

Unfortunately, I was unable to discover the other actresses on Sydney Newman's list of possible actresses under consideration to play Cathy Gale, but if I had I would have included it in the book. Still I'm very pleased that you are finding Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots an interesting and informative read. I don't have a complete list of the actresses who auditioned for the role of Emma Peel, although I do name some names on pages 122 and 125, further to which I have also been informed that Sarah Brackett was one of eight actreses (including Diana Rigg) who were screentested as Elizabeth Shepherd's replacement.
Richy
Nutshell

Post by Richy »

Thanks Mike. Your book is fantasic and I can't put it down. I'm so pleased that you were able to find information about the casting of key characters. I would love to have researched that :-)
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Richy wrote:Thanks Mike. Your book is fantasic and I can't put it down. I'm so pleased that you were able to find information about the casting of key characters. I would love to have researched that :-)

great book....goood job. tip of my hat 2 ya!
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Richy/Mousemeat

Many thanks for the kind words about Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots, which has gone down extremely well. As noted in the book, many people helped along the way, including Andrew Pixley, Alan, Anthony McKay and Mariocki, who all frequent these boards. Plus, Stephen James Walker and David J. Howe of Telos Publishing, my proof reader Annette Hill and a great many people who worked on both The Avengers and the The New Avengers, plus some who worked for ABC Television and more who were involved with the feature film.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I'm really enjoying Mike's book - especially now I have some spectacles! - I like the way he works background information into the central narrative without it seeming forced. Early days of my journey, as I only got my spectacles yesterday, but it's a ripper of a book, much better when not held at arm's length!
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

MikeR wrote:Richy/Mousemeat

Many thanks for the kind words about Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots, which has gone down extremely well. As noted in the book, many people helped along the way, including Andrew Pixley, Alan, Anthony McKay and Mariocki, who all frequent these boards. Plus, Stephen James Walker and David J. Howe of Telos Publishing, my proof reader Annette Hill and a great many people who worked on both The Avengers and the The New Avengers, plus some who worked for ABC Television and more who were involved with the feature film.
nice body of work...well done !
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Mousemeat

Thanks, the book has generally gone down very well and I'm happy to have gone to the trouble of researching and writing it.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

MikeR wrote:Mousemeat

Thanks, the book has generally gone down very well and I'm happy to have gone to the trouble of researching and writing it.
So are we! Most grateful!
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."