US Blu-Ray - Series 5 release

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

davidf
Little Wonder

Post by davidf »

Was the pal speed up on the itunes releases also?
Brisco
Nutshell

Post by Brisco »

anti-clockwise wrote:How terribly unAvengerish! I have the region free player but I agree with you there it is a pain that there is only one way to watch. Do you think that this set is selling well or really my first concern is they will take it off the market again like they did last time and then I will regret not buying. would rather have tony Curtis signature of Roger Moore's name for $35 at the moment.
If you've got the Optimum sets and are fine with the playback capabilities for them, I don't think there's much reason to "upgrade" to these Blu-rays, I hate to say. I think your $35 would be better spent on Tony Curtis's Roger Moore signature, which sounds awesome! I once paid Curtis that much for his own signature and asked him to put it over his own name, and he signed it over Roger's instead. If he was going to do that, I think I would have preferred him to do Roger's signature!

But that's just my opinion. I think as other people have said there is a moderate picture improvement over Optimum is you've got good HD equipment. And the price is very reasonable. (Like others, I wish they'd asked us to pay more for more discs.) For someone who doesn't have any Avengers, or even someone who just has the A&E DVDs, then I would recommend the Blu-rays. But from what I've seen so far (which, granted, isn't much), they don't seem like a tremendous improvement over the Optimum releases. In fact, without the copious extras of those, I'd say they're a downgrade.
Go beyond The Avengers! Visit my spy blog, The Double O Section.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Brisco wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:How terribly unAvengerish! I have the region free player but I agree with you there it is a pain that there is only one way to watch. Do you think that this set is selling well or really my first concern is they will take it off the market again like they did last time and then I will regret not buying. would rather have tony Curtis signature of Roger Moore's name for $35 at the moment.
If you've got the Optimum sets and are fine with the playback capabilities for them, I don't think there's much reason to "upgrade" to these Blu-rays, I hate to say. I think your $35 would be better spent on Tony Curtis's Roger Moore signature, which sounds awesome! I once paid Curtis that much for his own signature and asked him to put it over his own name, and he signed it over Roger's instead. If he was going to do that, I think I would have preferred him to do Roger's signature!

But that's just my opinion. I think as other people have said there is a moderate picture improvement over Optimum is you've got good HD equipment. And the price is very reasonable. (Like others, I wish they'd asked us to pay more for more discs.) For someone who doesn't have any Avengers, or even someone who just has the A&E DVDs, then I would recommend the Blu-rays. But from what I've seen so far (which, granted, isn't much), they don't seem like a tremendous improvement over the Optimum releases. In fact, without the copious extras of those, I'd say they're a downgrade.
oh good point. It would be a downgrade without the extras. I was actually joking with you about Tony Curtis as I thought that you told me he SIGNED Roger's name when you asked for his autograph.. I thought it was sort of outrageous but along the lines of something he would do. Anyway glad he just signed in the wrong place. Sadly I don't have his autograph, but I guess seriously my point was that I would much rather pay that amount than get these. I already have too many copies and not enough space. btw I bet that Curtis signature must be worth a lot now.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
starboy9091
Nutshell

Post by starboy9091 »

anti-clockwise wrote:well that's good but basically it sounds like it's the same thing as many of us already have. Maybe called bluray but if it is no better than the existing would you bother to buy any future bluraay releases?
I would probably get Series 4 and 6 if they are released. I might get the Optimum 50th set sometime soon so I can have the extras.

Brad
timlamb
Thingumajig

Post by timlamb »

timlamb wrote:The 1st two discs are confirmed at 39.6 GB!
Alan wrote:So they've not even utilised the full 50GB capacity of the discs!
Nope, the 3rd disc is 44.5gb with 9 episodes. So for 25 episodes they used 125 GB's of space with 150 gigs available. They easily could have released the set with 2 BD-50's and the last on a BD-25. This is literally 8.5 hours of content per disc if they would have filled them.

What are the chances the UK version will be region free?
timlamb
Thingumajig

Post by timlamb »

Jace wrote:Here you go:

new pitch comparison for The Avengers Blu-ray posted on Spy Vibe. see what you think. the Blu-ray *might* be right between the A&E and Optimum, or on-pitch w Optimum?

http://spyvibe.blogspot.com/…/11/avenge ... pdate.html
I have too say the difference is very subtle to the point of who cares for the bluray. I can live with it. The optimum disc is far more noticeable and annoying.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

timlamb wrote:What are the chances the UK version will be region free?
I'd say it's unlikely they will be Region Free. Since SC have licensed to Lionsgate in the US (and no doubt stipulated a limitation to Region A players), it seems likely they will encode for Region B (creating a cross-Europe edition that can also, potentially, be used in Australia and New Zealand).

Additionally, all Studio Canal Blu-rays I have here at home are Region B only...
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Lando
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Lando »

I thought the first 2 episodes looked good. Sometimes very good to excellent.
Color and sound are improved over the DVDs IMO as well.

Escape in time is up next!
Lando
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Lando »

timlamb
Thingumajig

Post by timlamb »

Lando wrote:I thought the first 2 episodes looked good. Sometimes very good to excellent.
Color and sound are improved over the DVDs IMO as well.

Escape in time is up next!
The sad thing is if they would have put 5 episodes per disc which is the standard for British tv in the States like with The Prisoner or Space 1999 which both have bitrates right at 20 mbps for video it would have been a home run with excellent video throughout. The masters are that good! Let's hope region B does it right and maybe with a little lossless audio to boot.