Favorite campy moments

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
waldotyson
Thingumajig

Favorite campy moments

Post by waldotyson »

Continuing this topic from the old forum...

Here's another one I like- in "Never Never Say Die" when the two soldiers are out in the field and they receive a radio call from their commander, in order to fake that they are walking around instead of taking a break they stomp-in-place on the ground while they are talking to him- and the one soldier has the goofiest expression on his face while he does so :D Hilarious!

This episode also features another favorite campy moment- when George Eccles talks by ham radio to people in foreign countries just by talking with whatever accent represents the country on the other end- not actually speaking their language :D
"Welcome my lord. Allow me."
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

For me, it's still Emma disco dancing, eating chocolates and snogging Steed in Who's Who.

And Emma fighting on the ceiling with "POW!" and "WHAM!" cards. The Winged Avenger.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

^I love that scene!!! :lol:
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I guess it depends on how one defines camp. For me, you cannot get more camp than Bumble worrying about one of his bees' knees which may have to be operated on.
megan130
White Dwarf

Sexual innuendo Subtext in dialogue

Post by megan130 »

Is anyone ever shocked at some of the things the characters would say for even in the 60's, using present day and age possible meanings. In the Episode '13th Hole' a man tells Emma he'd like to take her through a few 'strokes' personally but supposedly about golf. A shady character asks Steed if he'd lost his 'balls' and Pat as Steed replies he'd found them with a vigor!! :shock:
I loved them as a kid thinking they were SOO cool but never understood how risque they were especially for the US in that time. Love it.
waldotyson
Thingumajig

Post by waldotyson »

How about in "A funny thing happened on the way to the station" when Drewe Henley's character starts laughing hysterically as he's spraying bullets out of his machine gun? To me that's premium cheese.
"Welcome my lord. Allow me."
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Sexual innuendo Subtext in dialogue

Post by mousemeat »

megan130 wrote:Is anyone ever shocked at some of the things the characters would say for even in the 60's, using present day and age possible meanings. In the Episode '13th Hole' a man tells Emma he'd like to take her through a few 'strokes' personally but supposedly about golf. A shady character asks Steed if he'd lost his 'balls' and Pat as Steed replies he'd found them with a vigor!! :shock:
I loved them as a kid thinking they were SOO cool but never understood how risque they were especially for the US in that time. Love it.
Oh Lord, that was black humour, and at the time, it sorta went over me head, but I do remember both my aunt and Uncle, roaring out loud, and rolling their eyes..over the above comments..

the writers were pushing the envelope..(LOL)
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

"And what is the name of your beloved pussy?" springs to mind...
ricardomartins
Thingumajig

Post by ricardomartins »

Steed tickling Mrs. Peel sexy foot with a feather in "The Fear Merchants"!!!
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

For me it is when Steed produces a complete afternoon tea (including little cakes on a stand, boiling kettle etc) from his carpet bag on the train to Little Bazeley in The Town of No Return.

Sums up the 'difference' of the series beautifully.
Last watched: "Concerto"