Bright Horizons book

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Speed Six
Little Wonder

Post by Speed Six »

denis wrote:
Speed Six wrote:
denis wrote:My review of the book. I think no contributor has been forgotten.
http://theavengers.fr/index.php/chapeau ... guides#a18
Hmm - sorry to see that Denis thinks I have a 'disturbed mind' for stating a clearly obvious allusion on the part of the programme makers ! As I've said before the series was produced by sophisticated people with a sophisticated sense of humour and I think I'd be entitled to see this a personal insult.
I see it as a pun with 'devil mind' but if you see it as 'insult', I can change it...For the rest, I do not think it's an obvious allusion...
Perhaps it loses something in translation, but I'm afraid it comes across as insulting in English. And honestly, I'm amazed that you can't see what an obvious allusion the image presents. It's one of the most blatantly obvious innuendoes imaginable.
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

Some French critics were obssesed on Facebook by a part of my review. They took only one sentence from it (the one before the conclusion) to try to attack me. And France is supposed to be the country of freedom of speech... :roll:
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Speed Six wrote:
denis wrote:
Speed Six wrote: Hmm - sorry to see that Denis thinks I have a 'disturbed mind' for stating a clearly obvious allusion on the part of the programme makers ! As I've said before the series was produced by sophisticated people with a sophisticated sense of humour and I think I'd be entitled to see this a personal insult.
I see it as a pun with 'devil mind' but if you see it as 'insult', I can change it...For the rest, I do not think it's an obvious allusion...
Perhaps it loses something in translation, but I'm afraid it comes across as insulting in English. And honestly, I'm amazed that you can't see what an obvious allusion the image presents. It's one of the most blatantly obvious innuendoes imaginable.
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks" is befitting of a Frenchman who fears homosexuality. Hmmm... Wonder why?

He is clearly threatened by some obvious metaphors as Sam and others have explained ad nauseam. Do not waste your valuable time Sam. :wink:
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

anti-clockwise wrote:
Speed Six wrote:
denis wrote:I see it as a pun with 'devil mind' but if you see it as 'insult', I can change it...For the rest, I do not think it's an obvious allusion...
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks" is befitting of a Frenchman who fears homosexuality. Hmmm... Wonder why?

He is clearly threatened by some obvious metaphors as Sam and others have explained ad nauseam. Do not waste your valuable time Sam. :wink:
Quite laughable. :lol: A good opportunity to learn French, isn't ? :wink:
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Alright, that's enough.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion here but let's keep it friendly.

Admittedly, I find the Freudian obsession of some authors a bit hard to take at times and don't subscribe the the phallic imagery in the cake tasting scene, despite my love of the erotic and being fully aware of the intention of the producers.
Indeed, entendre is everywhere in the Avengers but perhaps not exactly here (but you are welcome to disagree with me).
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

These 'communal' books are meant to bring fans together. The Avengers episodes are 'read' by different viewers in different ways. Vive la difference.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Couldn't have said it better, Rodney (you should really go into writing, have you ever considered it as a career?)
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.