Avengerwear

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:All the examples I've posted (and I could have made many more) have a monochromed theme which was in keeping with the black and white episodes. I'm not sure how they would have worked in the colour ones.

I tend to agree that, the Emmapeelers apart*, the wardrobe from the colour episodes weren't as good. Tara and Purdey wore more high street fashions than anything Avengerish.

*Of which this is a good example, and worth repeating...

I have to agree the wardrobe took a dip post-Emma. Tara and Purdey's clothes are pretty hit-and-miss. There's something seriously wrong when I keep wishing Purdey'd get out of the way so I can see what Gambit's wearing. That violates some sort of cardinal TV rule, surely? There are some good examples, though--Purdey's red numbers from K is for Kill and Dirtier by the Dozen, and the pink one from Faces/To Catch A Rat (I love that they gave her some tweedier numbers for days when she's meant to be hanging around the Ministry writing reports and such). And Tara's got some lovely coats--the red one in Fog, the blue one with boots in Have Guns, the leather jacket and miniskirt combo. They should've steered clear of all those garish prints--they didn't work on either of them.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Yeah, I like Tara's look in that green corduroy oufit with the white beret from All Done With Mirrors. And when she gets out of the water her hair is wet and she genuinely looks dangerous.

Last edited by Dandy Forsdyke on Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Thought I'd add some Tara King outfits that I like.:)

Sam
Winged Avenger

Post by Sam »

I like the black dress Tara wears in the opening credits. I'd post a grab, but I'm at work right now.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

THE AVENGERS GALLERY
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

I love those pictures, with Linda ! :D
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
helenofirvine
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by helenofirvine »

The fashions were always superb...

Miss that time so much...
MaccaJack
Nutshell

Post by MaccaJack »

The fashions always fascinated me. The appeal to me was Emma Peel, The witty banter, the fight scenes, the cars and the fashions. I loved the Emmapeelers.

Always loved this. Great colour combo.

Gorgeous!

I love the colour and the flare effect.

Also the doll outfit. Nice colour and I love the cut-outs.

Another bright n' beautiful combo.

It's a sort of plum/peach combo in my eyes. Very fruity.

Another favourite. Love the oversized belt buckle. She looks great in anything!!!
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Frankymole wrote:In order of badly-datedness, the costumes go:

1. Season 4 Emma Peel's twin-sets, leather catsuits, stylish skirts, headscarf, target-beret etc - hardly dated at all, still look mod and great.
I thought I was the only one that liked Emma Peel's headscarf and target-emblemed beret. Not sure whether it's practicle (it does keep her hair out of her face) or not (um, a... target?)

Timeless A-Peel wrote: And then of course we had Steed. I find men's clothes in the sixties quite horrible, actually--the short pants don't flatter, and none of them have any shape (there's something wrong with the tailoring if you manage to make Stuart Damon look like a giant rectangle). Patrick seemed to be the only person who understood that men's jackets should be taken in a little at the waist to give them some shape. Ironically, despite being in his forties, Steed is actually dressed to look less stodgy and geriatric than any other male sixties star, all of whom were made to look two or three decades older just by their clothes.
Those tight little suits that those sixties spies are back in vogue. I love them and just wish I was the right age to wear them. It's frustrating as I'm slim enough but just too old! Drat!
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote: And then of course we had Steed. I find men's clothes in the sixties quite horrible, actually--the short pants don't flatter, and none of them have any shape (there's something wrong with the tailoring if you manage to make Stuart Damon look like a giant rectangle). Patrick seemed to be the only person who understood that men's jackets should be taken in a little at the waist to give them some shape. Ironically, despite being in his forties, Steed is actually dressed to look less stodgy and geriatric than any other male sixties star, all of whom were made to look two or three decades older just by their clothes.
Those tight little suits that those sixties spies are back in vogue. I love them and just wish I was the right age to wear them. It's frustrating as I'm slim enough but just too old! Drat!
Yes, I know. When I was in Quebec all the guys working in the shops were wearing them, the difference being they a) had the right figure for them, and b) they were actually tailored to give some shape, whereas most sixties suits I see in shows from the era had these horrible jackets that looked ill-fitting--boxy in all the wrong places, and then too small in others. Unless your name is Brandon Flowers, I just don't think they work on much of the general populace.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14