Dutch DVD releases

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Peter Motte
Little Wonder

Post by Peter Motte »

The Workaholic wrote:Does season 3 have French or original credits ?
Original ones. Rather bombastic. I first thought there was something wrong with the screen formatting of the television screen.
Prrr......
-----------
Peter Motte, translator English/French to Dutch
Courier13
Thingumajig

Post by Courier13 »

Peter Motte wrote:Watched today: Brief for Murder,
from 10.10 till 11.02, that is from the moment the ABC-screen appears (those three dishes) and the final ABC-screen disappears.
So, that makes 52 minutes.
And, the box mentions "PAL".
So, 52 minutes is rather long. I don't think they have cut anything.
By the way: if they would have cut something, what would they have cut? It looks to me as if cutting parts would actually be much more costly than just ram the original full length on disc.
I've just watched Death A La Carte and it is approximately 51:15 minutes long (including intro and Weinberg endcredits).
James Harvey
White Dwarf

Post by James Harvey »

Hi,
I just received my Season 2 dutch set in the post and won't have time to watch it until tommorow. I'm scared now that they won't be the original english prints. Are the season 2 episodes like the season 4s?
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

James Harvey wrote:Hi,
I just received my Season 2 dutch set in the post and won't have time to watch it until tommorow. I'm scared now that they won't be the original english prints. Are the season 2 episodes like the season 4s?

I own season two from A-Film and although I have not seen a lot of the episodes yet, there is nothing I found wrong with them. I think we can relax on the Gale era episodes being cut.
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

I own series 2 as well, and there's nothing wrong with them (luckily)
So nothing to worry about ;)
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Frankymole wrote:
Norbert wrote:Strange!

Are the episodes at least complete? For example, the French version of "Castle De'ath" runs only hardly 48 minutes, whereas the English original runs almost 50 minutes.
Question from Roobarb's Forum:

Are you sure that the runningtime issues mentioned on the French sets are not due to the 4% PAL speedup? The A&E (24 frames per second, NTSC) running times are 51 minutes per episode. On PAL (25 fps) they run 49 minutes.

Does anyone know if it also differs from DVD player to DVD player?
Norbert
Nutshell

Post by Norbert »

Allard wrote:
Frankymole wrote:
Norbert wrote:Strange!

Are the episodes at least complete? For example, the French version of "Castle De'ath" runs only hardly 48 minutes, whereas the English original runs almost 50 minutes.
Question from Roobarb's Forum:

Are you sure that the runningtime issues mentioned on the French sets are not due to the 4% PAL speedup? The A&E (24 frames per second, NTSC) running times are 51 minutes per episode. On PAL (25 fps) they run 49 minutes.

Does anyone know if it also differs from DVD player to DVD player?
Of course, it does not differ from player to player. An American Avengers episode runs 52 min. approx., whereas a European episode only runs 50 min. The episodes of the first three seasons were videotaped. Hence, there is no difference in speed. Furthermore, they are longer anyway. The New Avengers run 51 min. approx. in PAL and 53 min. approx. in NTSC. Some episodes of the Tara King series run 52 min. in PAL because an American master was used.
Peter Motte
Little Wonder

Post by Peter Motte »

Allard wrote: Does anyone know if it also differs from DVD player to DVD player?
[/color]
I don't think that's possible.
That could be possible with VHS, because different players could turn at slightly different speeds. Also, the tape could become deformed after a while. But I think dvd players will play very constantly, because the speed of what you're seeing is not directly related to the turning speed of the player. That speed is only relevant for the speed of the incoming bytes in the memory of the player, after which the machine will feed it at the normal rate to the screen. At least, when the dvd player is a player in a computer. But the difference with television sets won't be that big.
Prrr......
-----------
The Workaholic
Nutshell

Post by The Workaholic »

Here are screencaps of the episode running times of disc 2 as shown by DVD decryptor:

VTS_03 is “Castle De’ath”, VTS_04, VTS_05 and VTS_05 are the other 3 episodes.
As you see, the other episodes are 50 minutes, “Castle De’ath” runs only 48 minutes.

It has nothing to do with PAL/NTSC.

And VHS players don't play faster or slower (unlike audiotapes). A PAL VHS player simply plays 25 frames per second. It has nothing to do with the actual tapespeed.
Peter Motte
Little Wonder

Post by Peter Motte »

The Workaholic wrote:And VHS players don't play faster or slower (unlike audiotapes). A PAL VHS player simply plays 25 frames per second. It has nothing to do with the actual tapespeed.
Do you mean VHS players also have some kind of memory cach?
Prrr......
-----------