Series 5 Blu-ray UK/German release (June 2015)

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Series 5 Blu-ray UK/German release (June 2015)

Post by Alan »

The official PR is out:

http://declassified.theavengers.tv/aven ... _bd_s5.htm

(Point of particular interest: The Diana Rigg interview conducted for British Legends of Stage and Screen is included on this Blu-ray set - previously not available on any Avengers title.)

THE AVENGERS - THE COMPLETE SERIES 5
STARRING DIANA RIGG AND PATRICK MACNEE

RELEASED FOR THE FIRST TIME ON BLU-RAY ON 22ND JUNE 2015

John Steed (Patrick Macnee and Emma Peel (Diana Rigg) return as the incorrigible secret agents extraordinaire. Together they continue to defeat criminal masterminds and solve unfathomable mysteries in the original cult TV series The Avengers.

THE AVENGERS: THE COMPLETE SERIES 5 was seen as a game changer for two key reasons; first and foremost the transition into colour, having previously been shot in black and white, and it was also the last series starring Diana Rigg.

Sure to prompt a wave of nostalgia, THE AVENGERS: THE COMPLETE SERIES 5 seven disc box set includes the complete and uncut Series 5, on Blu-ray™ for the first time, jam packed with special features, including an interview with Diana Rigg, it is not to be missed when released this summer.

Extras:

• Exclusive audio commentaries with: scriptwriter/producer Brian Clemens on Murdersville, guest star Peter Wyngarde on Epic, scriptwriter Richard Harris on The Winged Avenger, Diana Rigg's stunt double, Cyd Child, on Return of the Cybernauts

• The Avengers – A Retrospective documentary

• Archive German TV interview with Patrick Macnee and Diana Rigg

• Filmed episode introductions by Brian Clemens

• Episode trims from The Fear Merchants, Escape in Time, From Venus with Love and The See-Through Man

• ATV newsreel footage (Diana Rigg receives TV Award)

• The Avengers – They're Back archive trailer

• Granada Plus Points for each episode

• Episode Reconstructions for lost Series 1 episodes One for the Mortuary, Death on the Slipway, Tunnel of Fear and Dragonsfield

• Interview with Diana Rigg (extract from British Legends Of Stage & Screen)

• 1960s German Titles

• Stills galleries

Blu-ray tech specs:
Cert: PG / Combined running Time: 1350 mins approx / Colour /
Feature Aspect Ratio: 1:33:1 / 2.0 Mono CPCM / Region B /
English language / English HOH Subtitles
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Mark A
White Dwarf

Re: Series 5 Blu-ray UK/German release (June 2015)

Post by Mark A »

Alan wrote:The official PR is out:

http://declassified.theavengers.tv/aven ... _bd_s5.htm

(Point of particular interest: The Diana Rigg interview conducted for British Legends of Stage and Screen is included on this Blu-ray set - previously not available on any Avengers title.)
Very welcome it is too. Thanks Alan.

Looking forward to this - I am starting to wonder if the bonus disc contents will make it to the BD releases. Maybe with S6?
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

Nice to see new treats will be offered on the bluray edition. We might get additional content for Series 6. I hope so, anyway! :)
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
Strange Young Man
Little Wonder

Post by Strange Young Man »

For series 4 there were a couple of reviews that went up in advance. Has anyone heard about the same happening again now that we are nearing the release?
wibblewobble
Nutshell

Post by wibblewobble »

Just received notice from Amazon.co.uk that mine has shipped (UK -> US). Final price was £41.48 + £3 shipping. I have Amazon prime, not sure if that affects the shipping price, which is quite reasonable either way.
peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by peabody »

wibblewobble wrote:Just received notice from Amazon.co.uk that mine has shipped (UK -> US). Final price was £41.48 + £3 shipping. I have Amazon prime, not sure if that affects the shipping price, which is quite reasonable either way.
Same as mine, then. Mine was £41.48 + £3.44 shipping PLUS £11.12 VAT! :cry: And it hasn't shipped yet either.

Just received an invoice from eBay today as well. A mere $220. Last time I sold stuff there. Sorry for going completely off topic.
modrevolve
Nutshell

Post by modrevolve »

wibblewobble wrote:Just received notice from Amazon.co.uk that mine has shipped (UK -> US). Final price was £41.48 + £3 shipping. I have Amazon prime, not sure if that affects the shipping price, which is quite reasonable either way.
Mine cost the same price and I'm not a Prime member.
Mark A
White Dwarf

Post by Mark A »

Watched some of this yesterday - interestingly, no splash screen with an option to select German this time (nor German subs/soundtrack that I can find) so appears to not be a direct port of the German release this time round.

Menu is a different design and an improvement, and although my initial impression was that the opening titles were a bit soft and over-brightened, the episode itself (The Fear Merchants) looked great, although there is always the unfortunate drop in quality when fades or dissolves are employed on the shot. Sometimes I wonder if the colour is a little too bright (the grass in the stadium is VERY green!) but, on balance, I think the series suits the high saturation well.

In summary, very pleased to have it - roll on S6 and, maybe one day, my personal favourite - The New Avengers!
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

We live in hope for The New Avengers to get some amazing restoration. I'm sure it would look stunning!
supersimon
Thingumajig

Post by supersimon »

I too a, really looking forward to series 6 as a big Tara fan. The DVD was v good indeed, some episodes looked almost hi def, so they will have work cut out to deliver a major improvement.