The Sound of ITV: The Nation's Favourite Theme Tunes.

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
NickP
Little Wonder

Post by NickP »

cyberrich wrote: Great that The Avengers theme came 4th! I didn't see this programme. What were the rest of the top 10? Thanks.
The full list:

1 Benny Hill
2 Thunderbirds
3 Tales of the Unexpected
4 The Avengers
5 Van Der Valk
6 Downton Abbey
7 Morse
8 Poirot
9 Coronation Street
10 Minder
11 News At Ten
12 The Professionals
13 The Sweeney
14 Blockbusters
15 Robin Hood
16 Who Wants To Be A Millionaire
17 Emmerdale Farm
18 World of Sport
19 This Is Your Life
20 Surprise Surprise
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Thanks for the list. :) Not sure the top 3 deserve to be there actually. The Avengers theme is better. The Persuaders, The Protectors and Man in a suitcase are unjustly overlooked.
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

Good grief, what an odd selection. Some very strange inclusions and omissions indeed. I suspect Surprise Suprise is only there as Silly Black has just died and Downton Abbey is there as a convenient reminder that it starts again on Sunday. So many shows not on the list at all seem absolutely iconic. All rather odd.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Johnny O wrote:Good grief, what an odd selection. Some very strange inclusions and omissions indeed. I suspect Surprise Suprise is only there as Silly Black has just died and Downton Abbey is there as a convenient reminder that it starts again on Sunday. So many shows not on the list at all seem absolutely iconic. All rather odd.
Quite well put. that is an odd list. And who was voting?
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
hatpeg
Little Wonder

Post by hatpeg »

Glad the Avengers made the top 4, but surprised Man in a Suitcase and Black Beauty were not on the list.
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

hatpeg wrote:Glad the Avengers made the top 4, but surprised Man in a Suitcase and Black Beauty were not on the list.
Black Beauty, Follyfoot, Magpie, Ace of Wands, UFO, Captain Scarlet, The Protectors, The New Avengers, Bless This House, Freewheelers, Upstairs, Downstairs; I think the list of tunes that almost anyone can hum that didn't make this list will be far longer than the 20 that did.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Not a single sixties ITC action show in the top twenty!

What happened to the works of Edwin Astley, John Barry, Ron Grainer and Tony Hatch?
NickP
Little Wonder

Post by NickP »

MikeR wrote:Not a single sixties ITC action show in the top twenty!

What happened to the works of Edwin Astley, John Barry, Ron Grainer and Tony Hatch?
To be fair, Emmerdale Farm is Tony Hatch and Tales of the Unexpected is Ron Grainer.

There was a nod to ITC with some brief clips (The Champions I recall was one) but I agree there were some serious omissions in the chart.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

NickP wrote:
MikeR wrote:Not a single sixties ITC action show in the top twenty!

To be fair, Emmerdale Farm is Tony Hatch and Tales of the Unexpected is Ron Grainer.

There was a nod to ITC with some brief clips (The Champions I recall was one) but I agree there were some serious omissions in the chart.
Nick

Perhaps its time we did our own top ten/twenty UK TV themes here on the forum and see how different things turn out.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

No Man in a Suitcase, The Prisoner or Travelling Man?
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art