Tara's Flat

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Tara's is simply the best apartment of all The Avengers apartments. In fact the best apartment seen in ANY TV series. Period. I especially love the fireman's pole enabling her to answer the phone quickly if she enters at the upper door. Visually stunning, and a set that sums up the colourful 1960's perfectly. 8) The set also created some wonderful suspenseful moments, in particular the exciting finale in Countless clues. Rich.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

cyberrich wrote:Tara's is simply the best apartment of all The Avengers apartments. In fact the best apartment seen in ANY TV series. Period. I especially love the fireman's pole enabling her to answer the phone quickly if she enters at the upper door. Visually stunning, and a set that sums up the colourful 1960's perfectly. 8) The set also created some wonderful suspenseful moments, in particular the exciting finale in Countless clues. Rich.
well stated...
shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

Quite like Purdey's apartment too..basement and of course her ballet barre to keep Purdey in terrific shape ! Tara's Firemans Pole... what better tool to keep her in shape if used for some Pole Dancing...Avengers way ahead of their time 8)
TrueIndigo
Thingumajig

Post by TrueIndigo »

I was always fascinated by Tara's cluttered flat, there's so much going on! As a seven-year-old in 1968 I was quite fond of the impressive copper/brass vintage car on the (sewing machine?) table next to the stairs - what a great toy! The confusing number of period telephones was fun if you didn't know which one was ringing, and the penny farthing is surely one of the best wall decorations ever.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

It's a wonderful set, in a season of remarkable, surreal sets.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
TrueIndigo
Thingumajig

Post by TrueIndigo »

Is there any known significance to the large letters "O" and "P" on the wall by the stairs? Or for the number "21" next to it? I wondered if that number might be Linda Thorson's age, but she would have been 20 when filming for the series first started. Perhaps it's all just random...
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

She was 21 when the season was broadcast, so why not? Sounds likely to me.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote:I used to live in a flat with back stairs for the milkman, laundry and the dustbins. The milk was left in a hatch which opened on the other side into the kitchen.
in the states, delivering milk, or being a milkman, is a blast from the past. I remember them from my past....mid 1950's...
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

TrueIndigo wrote:Is there any known significance to the large letters "O" and "P" on the wall by the stairs? Or for the number "21" next to it? I wondered if that number might be Linda Thorson's age, but she would have been 20 when filming for the series first started. Perhaps it's all just random...
"21 means "key of the door" in Bingo, as it was the age of majority when kids became adults and were allowed to own their own house key. Maybe it represents Tara owning her own flat :D

No idea about "O" and "P". Perhaps the "P" is for Patrick...
Last watched: "Concerto"
TrueIndigo
Thingumajig

Post by TrueIndigo »

We must also include the fireplace wall (with the penny-farthing above it) which also has gilt letters and numbers: to the left of the exterior (hall way) lilac-coloured door is "TK" (Tara King) and to the right of it is "NO" (I don't know what that might be for, if anything), followed by "22" in exactly the same style as the "21" by the stairs (pink with numbers in gold within a circle). It's always interesting to wonder if these things might contain hidden meanings (it's a secret agent show, after all) or possibly in-jokes by the film makers. Using your idea Franky, I see that 22 in Bingo nicknames is "Two little ducks" -- Tara and Steed?