Venus Smith : Partner or not ?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Charlie Parker wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Wasn't Box of Tricks originally intended to be a Steed/Cathy/Venus episode?
There was meant to be an episode with all three, yes. Don't recall if it was Box of Tricks though...
Box of Tricks it was.. but I'm puzzled as to what Cathy's role could of been, would it of been a major re-write or just renaming a character and juggling a few lines?
Hmm. Watch it again and see if there's a character called 'Katy Storm' or something... ;)
moorlock2003
Thingumajig

Post by moorlock2003 »

The show is The Avengers, and therefore it is Steed plus one. Yes, there are two Venuses: the fiesty lady in the big wig of "The Removal Men" and the pixie-like agreeable lass of "A Chorus Of Frogs". It is true that the character wasn't consistent. I, too, fast-forward past her singing bits.
Charlie Parker
Little Wonder

Post by Charlie Parker »

I'd rather they'd bought back Dr. King then Venus to be honest.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

google eyes at venus

Post by mousemeat »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Artanis wrote:I like Venus' character but the most annoying thing is how she always get captured and Steed has to save her. She doesn't seem to be worth all that trouble for just the little help she provides.
As I understand it she was added to the cast to share the second season with Dr Keel.
That's right. Steed and Keel were meant to hang about a nightclub in further episodes and get to know the jazz singer. Then Hendry left unexpectedly, so the character was sort of a hangover from season one, and the show sort of evolved beyond her before she even got up on screen. They probably used her as a stop-gap more than anything, so that they could film something while they tried to cast Cathy. That's probably why she doesn't fit. It wasn't the same show anymore.
sounds reasonable..Venus might have ben a semi major player in the scope of the show, but as always, fate has a funny way of side tracking
people, places, and things...Did Steed have the 'eyes' for Venus ? not really...at least, I don't think so...

Hendry's departure was a blow, but the show recovered nicely, and Hendry's movie career, really never reached the heights, he thought possible..same goes for Patrick...Both Honor and Diana, had a more productive cinema career..for the most part.
mousemeat

google eyes at venus

Post by mousemeat »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Artanis wrote:I like Venus' character but the most annoying thing is how she always get captured and Steed has to save her. She doesn't seem to be worth all that trouble for just the little help she provides.
As I understand it she was added to the cast to share the second season with Dr Keel.
That's right. Steed and Keel were meant to hang about a nightclub in further episodes and get to know the jazz singer. Then Hendry left unexpectedly, so the character was sort of a hangover from season one, and the show sort of evolved beyond her before she even got up on screen. They probably used her as a stop-gap more than anything, so that they could film something while they tried to cast Cathy. That's probably why she doesn't fit. It wasn't the same show anymore.
sounds reasonable..Venus might have ben a semi major player in the scope of the show, but as always, fate has a funny way of side tracking
people, places, and things...Did Steed have the 'eyes' for Venus ? not really...at least, I don't think so...

Hendry's departure was a blow, but the show recovered nicely, and Hendry's movie career, really never reached the heights, he thought possible..same goes for Patrick...Both Honor and Diana, had a more productive cinema career..for the most part.
mousemeat

google eyes at venus

Post by mousemeat »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:

mousemeat

google eyes at venus

Post by mousemeat »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:

mousemeat

google eyes at venus

Post by mousemeat »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:

ricardomartins
Thingumajig

Post by ricardomartins »

Contrary to some Avengers fans, I don't loathe Venus Smith, but in some of her episodes I find her weak and I find thinking errouneously "When does Mrs. Gale appear?", remembering that she's not going to appear in that episode.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Just spent a very enjoyable lunch listening to Julie Stevens commentary to A Chorus Of Frogs. Interestingly, Julie does regard herself as an 'Avenger girl', so why not.

She's a delight on the commentary by the way. She's never seen these episodes before (as they were often screened a day after recording) and it's a treat to hear here.

Interestingly she was a regular Avengers viewer before she was in it, so knew she was going into a big Saturday night TV show.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY