See-through man-hit or miss?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

Not one of my favorites either. To me, it's the worst episode from season 5. The whole plot is nonsense and it's too silly. I thought it was okay when I first watched it but it doesn't hold up very well the second time around. Warren Mitchell was very good in "The Charmers" but in this episode his character is very annoying. And I agree, the scenes with Roy Kinnear are the best. He was always a great guest star.
Allen
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Thee See-Though Man is in my opinion a rather good Peel Colour episode, but not one of the best. The plot works and the direction is good. Plus we get great character; John Nettleton, Roy Kinear, the female Russian.. oops spy from the other side. And Brodny isn't that bad but he is played so over the top and self centred. Acting is about interacting, something Macnee and Rigg do nicely in this episode, but Warren Mitchell is putting on some kind of one man show. A real episode wrecker.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

I'm a little surprised at the negative opinions on this one (not that I don't respect them), as I've always loved this one. Brodny is quite wonderful - I've always found him an entertaining character, well worthy of his distinction as one of the very small number of recurring supporting characters.

Mind you, I've not seen the episode in years - still waiting for the promised Blu-ray sets before I launch myself headlong into The Avengers once more. Maybe my opinion will have changed?
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
waldotyson
Thingumajig

Post by waldotyson »

Alan wrote:I'm a little surprised at the negative opinions on this one (not that I don't respect them), as I've always loved this one. Brodny is quite wonderful - I've always found him an entertaining character, well worthy of his distinction as one of the very small number of recurring supporting characters.
That's just it- he's an entertaining character. If I were to take this episode seriously I'd probably hate it along w/ everyone else, but as I watch the Avengers I turn my mind off and just let the show take me away and that's when I just laugh at the character for the clown that he is. I think that's the way the producers meant it to be.
"Welcome my lord. Allow me."
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

It's not one of my favourites, but I definitely don't mind watching it.
I especially like the fight scene between Emma and that woman (forgot her name) where Emma pushes her away and the woman get's knocked unconcious by that filing cabinet :lol:
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

Philippa wrote:It's not one of my favourites, but I definitely don't mind watching it.
I especially like the fight scene between Emma and that woman (forgot her name) where Emma pushes her away and the woman get's knocked unconcious by that filing cabinet :lol:

Moira Anderson? Yes, Diana talks about this scene with Paul O'Grady saying the person who hit the filing cabinet was in fact a bloke - ha!
I like the way Emma throws Brodny through the window saying something like 'And, ziz is the Emma Peel' in the mock Brodny accent
:D
Philippa

Post by Philippa »

^Yes! I had the Paul O'Grady interview in mind when I wrote my last post :D
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

It's Moira Lister. Moira Anderson was a Scottish folk singer.

I love the... "Und Zis is zee Emma Peel Push off!" line
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

what should have been

Post by mousemeat »

helenofirvine wrote:I have to remember you're not talking about the Positive/Negative man. This episode does sit low on the scale. In fact, I avoid watching it.
this episode is a prime example, of an idea, or script, that did not
end up playing well....every show has a misfire or two..and this one
is a prime example..
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:It's Moira Lister. Moira Anderson was a Scottish folk singer.

I love the... "Und Zis is zee Emma Peel Push off!" line

For some reason I knew it wasn't right - hence my question mark - blimey! I am showing my age though, aren't I ??? :shock: