Dead Man's Treasure Hunt - locations and news

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Sounds like a fantastic weekend. Will definitely try to make it next year...as I promise myself each year.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
mariocki
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by mariocki »

As mentioned previously, our first stop was Iver Grove as seen in Trap:

I'll try to post up images from our other stops in the coming days.
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Andrew Pixley wrote:Finally ... a chance to sit down and write some proper responses rather than all the "in haste" rubbish that time has forced me to resort to over the last week ...

Hi Ian :)
Ian Wegg wrote:Taking part in the treasure hunt was the fulfilment of a long held ambition for me and it was everything I'd hoped it would be and more. The attention to detail was incredible, surely the organisers must spend all year preparing it?
So sorry not have got to chat to you properly! I've enjoyed your postings in the electronic ether for years and it'd have been lovely to have said hello and everything. What I do miss a bit from the very earliest days of the event was where there was a sort of "introduction" for everyone at the start of the Saturday, and more chance for people to assemble to chat TV and swap notes/tapes and catch up on the Friday evening. In the ones for the late 1980s, before we set off for the convoy on the Saturday morning, because 70% of the attendees knew each other or were active on fanzines (in the pre-internet days), there'd be a chance to go around each person in turn to say things like "This is Mike Richardson who's down from Yorkshire. He's written for TimeScreen and PrimeTime, loves British film series, originated the hunt in 1987 ... and so if you have any questions, go over and have a chat to him" or "Now this is X and Y from Wherever, it's their first hunt, they're really into This Series and That Series and have a fanzine called Fanzine Name, so please make them welcome and have a catch up over the next couple of days". And so we all sort of knew each other. And now, I lose track because my memory isn't that sharp ...

Love the photos! Some happy memories from a couple of very enjoyable days!

And - yes - the organisers did cram a lot in didn't they. Some terrific places to visit (notably Tykes Water ... which I always adore) on both the hunt and the tour. Caron Gardner was a charming and engaging guest on the Saturday evening and it was lovely hearing her reminiscences. In fact, the whole weekend left me really regretting that when these events started 29 years ago, I was 22 and had the stamina to drink in all this for a solid 48 hours. And now, I need to take time out ... to eat and drink and rest and re-orientate. Indeed, at one point on the Sunday when I was with some of the lovely friends who were there back at the first hunt in 1987, I did find myself humming Ronnie Hazelhurst's Last of the Summer Wine ... and being so envious of those, particularly the first timers, who were just getting such a buzz from being at these amazing places and talking about these wonderful shows ... :)

So lovely to read about Mike's mini-location tour which he Jason, Andy, Jason and Mark undertook on the Friday. And so brilliant to hear that new locations from episodes like "Dead Man's Treasure" itself (a show I still adore) are being confirmed and identified.
Alan wrote:It was also magical to approach Tyke's Water Bridge from the North West (from the school grounds) rather than the South East which I am much more familiar with. Another first.
That was a real highpoint for me as well Alan. And I have to say, being silent at the lakeside this time really added such a sense of beauty and tranquility to this special venue ... almost a feeling of reverence. That was a lovely point of the tour and I'm so glad this was possible.
The efforts to which people like Chris, Annette, Geoff, Ian, Jackie and Andrew go to is hugely appreciated.
Absolutely. Just want to echo this again. It's a very, very special event and to know that people who understand the shows so well put in so much time and effort is deeply appreciated.
MikeR wrote:Most teams contained four people, but I was joined only by Andrew Pixley and Julie Rogers and although we were not mega competitive we proceeded at a steady pace.
... and thanks for agreeing to do the hunt with us on that basis Mike. For me, it was just a fantastic opportunity to be with some nice people at some brilliant places. I'm afraid answering questions - if any - was an added bonus if it happened. Which I feel kind of bad about because Chris puts so much effort into constructing these hunts ... just as I did years ago. Again, seeing the really keen teams at work was a real tonic and delight!
After their absence last year it was extremely good to see Neil and Sue Alsop and after what must be five years, Nick Williams returned sporting a beard that initially prevented me from recognising him.
Very much so. Neil and Sue have been wonderful people who have helped me at times in my life when things have been bad, and Neil's work in "PrimeTime" was a massive inspiration for me in the 1980s. Similarly, Nick has been very missed; a clever, talented man who has done some amazing stuff during his tenure with Fanderson. Seeing Nick again really put a smile on my face!
It was also encouraging to see some new attendees, including Oliver who started out doing the actual Treasure Hunt on Saturday morning dressed in a three-piece suit and bowler hat. Oliver’s female companions (of which one was called Jessica) also entered into the spirit, dressing as Emma Peel and Tara King. It was only later that I was informed that one of the ladies was in fact a location scout for the BBC’s medical drama Holby City and that while at the Haberdashers, she had spoken with Roger there about shooting material for that series at the school.
Seeing these four attendees bringing a new style, imagination and enthusiasm to the event was wonderful - a true highlight of the weekend. It was lovely to speak to these guys during the hunt and on the Saturday night. It's seeing new people coming along, clearly enjoying so much of the event, and relating their stories of what the shows mean to them and how special they are that really, really warms my heart and reminds that these series are amazing and continue to find new devotees who fuel the fires of fandom in new and very important ways.

A terrific time. Thanks for sharing in all the fun guys. Thanks for giving me happy memories. Wonderful to see you all!

All the best

Andrew
Andrew

You’ve made plenty of interesting observations regarding both the Treasure Hunt and the various people who attended this year.

Jason really made a very interesting observation last year when he attended for the first from the States, when he said that I was extremely lucky to have so many friends (even though I only see some of them at the event) who share my love for The Avengers and The New Avengers. In comparison, the same type of events do not exist in the States because of the much longer distances involved in getting a group of 40+ people together who are into one show.

I also ought to mention Joan Street, who returned to the event, after missing a couple of years due her Midsomer Murder locations event clashing on the same weekend as the Treasure Hunt.

As last year the forum was well represented again with Mariocki, Andrew Pixley, Alan, Tara 46, Jace, Ian Wegg and myself all in attendance.
mariocki

Post by mariocki »

Later than hoped but here are some shots from our second stop, Edge Grove School as seen in The See Through Man and What The Butler Saw:

"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

That's great, thanks very much. I'm really enjoying these pictures.

(I notice you've matched the "then" and "now" perfectly, you must have had the screen shots with you!)

~iw
mariocki

Post by mariocki »

I did but we also compile a sheet with screengrabs for each location which is given to each attendee so that they can see what was filmed there and how it looked on screen. Such a shame you couldn't make the Sunday.
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
mariocki

Post by mariocki »

Next up, Haberdashers' Aske's School used in many episodes including The Gravediggers:

"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
mariocki

Post by mariocki »

Not The Avengers but this is already one of my favourite comparison shots ever. It's from The Professionals, again taken at Haberdashers', and was only possible because of the unprecedented access we were afforded on the day for which grateful thanks must be extended to Roger, the staff member who gave up his day off in order to facilitate our visit. Without people like him there would be no Treasure Hunt in its current guise:

"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

These are brilliant pics Geoff. It is truly amazing how different it looks in colour! For filming, nothing beats the B&W. 8)
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Geoff

As always your then and now shots are exceptional.