17%
33%
No votes

Total votes: 12

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

NickP wrote:
Frankymole wrote: Benny Hill doesn't deserve that!
True, I hadn't meant to be disparaging to Mr. Hill; but even his greatest fan would find it difficult to tolerate a single sketch that lasts an hour. As well as the stereotyped pantomime Chinese villain it seemed that some of the action had been speeded up, e.g. the scenes with the soldiers setting the trap in the wood, which I found made parallels with Benny Hill unavoidable. They might as well have ended the episode with the cast chasing Soo Choy around the woods to tune of Yakety Sax, that would have improved my score.
Heheh, yes. Done as an outright comedy it might have sort of worked. I think the closest Avengers came was "Look - Stop Me if You've Heard This One, But There Were These Two Fellers..." but even that had an underlying hard edge. "The Correct Way to Kill" or even the (similarly oriental-influenced to "Trap"?) "Legacy of Death" stories were perhaps more silly / less serious intent, especially the latter being a movie spoof. Yes, the more I think about it, it's the humourlessness of "Trap" that kills it. Even other TNA series 1 episodes that seem more "gritty" had more humour.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

Ah, but didn't Purdey show she was a superb tennis player to add to her many skills :lol: Giving poor old Gambit the runaround again :lol:
Legwarmers and Tights playing tennis ...is Purdey making a statement ? :wink:
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Embarrassing all around. Even the set-up sucks. I was expecting Soo Choy to turn out to be an Englishman who thinks he's Chinese, but instead it's just a terrible, embarrassing racial stereotype that makes zero sense. Best part of the whole episode was Steed setting his own broken arm. The climax worked all right, but again the villain was so confused a character I didn't know what to think.

Oh, and I do get tired of Gambit's petty little jealousies of Purdey's potential love interests, especially when he's messing around with wordless blondes.
shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

Purdey's potential love interests...Gambit's petty jealousy of them.... always thought Purdey showed far more jealousy than Gambit :?:
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

Are there things about Trap that are absolutely stupid? You bet!

Do I still enjoy the episode? You bet!

There are some significant flaws in the show which make it hilarious: Soo Choy, the most white Asian diabolical villain ever; a plane crash in which two of the three people are fine, and one suffers a broken arm; nearly everything else.

Steed flew a large commercial airliner in "Dead on Course," so in terms of writers not remembering what was already written, Steed was a pilot and could have downed the plane adequately.

Steed says a famous line to Gambit "It's MY arm!" convincing Gambit that yeah, Steed knows his arm is broken. The all stick cast is great! Steed hanging around with Purdey in the woods is fun--although in reality hiding in a white shirt in the woods is probably not the best camouflage!

Steed being wounded and nearly unclothed on his upper body...that puts the episode up around 8/10 right to begin with. His hair is mussed! He certainly has a high pain tolerance after the "It's my arm" comment, as he chokes someone with his broken arm, and uses it at the end to clarify his hand was not sliced off.

Unfortunately, for those of us who greatly dislike Gambit, Soo Choy did not cut off his head....And, the incredibly inappropriate last line of "Chinese Take-Away" was bizarre in a rational view of the scene, as just how fast and how far do they think they can drive with men running behind the Jeep before the men are 1) exhausted and 2) being dragged, and they have to stop?

I mean the sheer lunacy of the episode, and the injured Steed, makes it one I have no trouble watching again and again.
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk