The Complete Avengers: 50th Anniversary Edition (39 Discs)

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Lando
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Lando »

So I have been watching some of the very early episodes of this set.
I am noticing a lot of audio issues. The sound will at times be very soft and hard to hear.
I've also noticed some audio issues on the lionsgate blu Ray set of season 5 as well

Is this an issue or how the episodes always sounded?
If not, is it something that has been corrected or addressed?

Thank you,
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Lando wrote:So I have been watching some of the very early episodes of this set.
I am noticing a lot of audio issues. The sound will at times be very soft and hard to hear.
I've also noticed some audio issues on the lionsgate blu Ray set of season 5 as well

Is this an issue or how the episodes always sounded?
If not, is it something that has been corrected or addressed?

Thank you,
depends what source material was found and used for the transfers..in my opinion
Lando

Post by Lando »

So.... Some of the episodes are just this way?
Just wanted to be sure. Many of the older ones I am seeing for the first time. I was surprised by some of the peel ones as I don't recall noticing this audio issue with my a&e set.

Thanks.
Lando

Post by Lando »

In addition to the audio going from very soft to loud at times I've been having disc freezing issues.

Are these know problems? I am attempting to contact studio canal as well.
Lando

Post by Lando »

Lando wrote:In addition to the audio going from very soft to loud at times I've been having disc freezing issues.

Are these know problems? I am attempting to contact studio canal as well.
Bumping as I did not receive a post back.

Audio appears to have cleared up as long as I don't use a sound bar.
Still a bit concerned about freezing on some of the discs and episodes.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Soundbars often accentuate the difference in sound levels to sound more dynamic; there might be a setting on yours to accentuate dialogue. My stereo has a "midnight mode" option which reverses the dynamic effect and compresses the sound stage to even out the audio, which I find useful some times.

Re the freezing, I haven't experienced that on DVD player or PC, or even bluray player with the new discs. If you give me an episode where it always happens I can check but it sounds like layer change on the DVD to me.

Normally mastering companies try to force that to happen at the ad breaks so it's less noticeable.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
timlamb
Thingumajig

Post by timlamb »

I remember almost buying this set last Thanksgiving for 75 pounds. It has gotten ridiculously expensive of late at 149 pounds. It looks like a great set and I can put the Series 4-6 blurays in place of the DVD's. That price though seems a bit much.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

That's because the only sellers currently listing it are the scamming opportunists.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
timlamb
Thingumajig

Post by timlamb »

The 149 pound price is from amazon actually.
timlamb
Thingumajig

Post by timlamb »

I have watched all episodes from the 4th series and last night while watching the What the Butler Saw I noticed a approx. 10 decibel drop in volume starting at 24:15 and the level goes back to normal damn near a minute later at 25:14. Can anyone else confirm this? Almost always this is a QC issue and every manufactured disc has the same problem.

This is on the bluray but I was wondering if the dvd had this issue as well?