Australian Avengers DVD Releases: December 2016

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Brendan Jones
Little Wonder

Post by Brendan Jones »

How strange. Did Baker's estate object? Brian's solo commentaries are present.

Also on here are an Anneke Wills intro for The £50,000 Breakfast!
Brendan Jones
Little Wonder

Post by Brendan Jones »

dissolute wrote: What's the picture quality like compared to Optimum?
I had a Madman set of Dangerman which I'd bought for the extra commentary tracks, intending to replace my ancient A&E set (thinking a new PAL DVD would be better than the older NTSC DVD), but the video was over-compressed and brittle (over-sharpened). I couldn't bear watching it so I kept my older set and sold the new one.
Just eyeballed Town of No Return and it looked lovely, but I'll do some side by side screen grabs later tonight.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Please, Brendan, could you take a screenshot or photo about DVD menu, too. Very interesting to see it. :)

I liked how you played the leading role in the video for unboxing Australian Avengers DVD set, even though I know English by ear badly, I watched it till the end. :)

Sadly, Brian Clemens and Roy Ward Baker commentaries not on the Madmen set, although the new bonuses are attractive. :)

Brendan, there are interesting topic about versions of episodes, too:

http://avengersfanforum.s2.bizhat.com/v ... rsfanforum

If you will have time and wishing, it would was great to hear about variant of print on new Australian DVD for episode The Danger Makers, b/w episode with Emma Peel. (Post dated by Dec 11, 2016, through link above).

Thanks you for all these posts, very helpful and informative.
Denis
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I'm very jealous of the packaging compared to the UK released! Oh and the Avengers at 50 stuff!
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Sadly, it's definitely the case that 14 minutes of footage is missing from "All Done with Mirrors" - it looks like a mastering error as the episode reports it's only 35:36 long (or thereabouts).

It's missing an entire DVD "chapter" from the end of the opening credits until the red herring where Seligman is lowering his binoculars after looking at the lighthouse (i.e. after the first ad break).
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

dissolute wrote:Sadly, it's definitely the case that 14 minutes of footage is missing from "All Done with Mirrors" - it looks like a mastering error as the episode reports it's only 35:36 long (or thereabouts).

It's missing an entire DVD "chapter" from the end of the opening credits until the red herring where Seligman is lowering his binoculars after looking at the lighthouse (i.e. after the first ad break).
Oh my Steed!!! :shock: Very unexpected. It remains to wait for fixes.

Thanks, Piers, an interesting point. Wonder how there are things with the version of episodes from 4 season that were cut on DVD Optimum... If you will check, it will be great.
Denis
Brendan Jones
Little Wonder

Post by Brendan Jones »

I'm away in Melbourne for a few days, but will investigate these problems when I get home. Has Madman given any statement regarding a replacement? That's 14 minutes of Linda commentary we're missing too!
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Brendan Jones wrote:I'm away in Melbourne for a few days, but will investigate these problems when I get home
Wish to Good days in Melbourne, Brendan. :) Thanks for wishing to check the problems.

Brendan Jones wrote:Has Madman given any statement regarding a replacement? That's 14 minutes of Linda commentary we're missing too!
Bad things.
Sadly, on moment I did not see any statement regarding a replacement? Probably have to go to a company with a personal letter (though it is quite possible that someone has already done it, after reading these posts).
Denis
jaz
Winged Avenger

Post by jaz »

Brendan Jones wrote:How strange. Did Baker's estate object? Brian's solo commentaries are present.

Also on here are an Anneke Wills intro for The £50,000 Breakfast!
Nothing to do with Baker's estate, simple case of Canal Plus not asking me if I would allow them to use them (I own the rights).

I ask the most stupid questions!
Brendan Jones
Little Wonder

Post by Brendan Jones »

Confirmed- All Done With Mirrors jumps straight to the start of Act Two. There's about five frames of artefacting at the beginning of the lighthouse shot, which indicates an authoring or mastering error. I'll email Madman tonight.

I'll also be doing the side by side shots tonight on the following eps:

The Frighteners
Mr Teddy Bear
Brief for Murder
The Danger Makers
Murdersville
Stay Tuned