Season 6 Intro & Credits: "Targets" vs "S

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.

Which do you prefer? "Targets" or "Suits of Armor" (S6 intro/outro)

Targets
29%
Suits of Armor
71%

Total votes: 17

denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

mrspeel01 wrote:many thanks Denis!

re: the Targets credits. These were included on some episodes shown on German TV. When I first got Sky TV way back in the early '90s, when it was analogue, it was able to pick up some European channels, that were also on the Astra Satellite. I believe one was the German ZDF (I am relying on memory of 20+ years so it might have been another German channel!) It showed Avengers for a time (under the German title and dubbed of course!). I saw some Rigg B&W & Thorson episodes. The Rigg ones had the slightly different German opening (this is included in the special features on the Optimum series 4 set). Link is below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GmQ-saKJig

One of the Thorsons had the targets credits but i can't remember which one it was!!!

On the original channel 4 showings, if my memory is correct, I believe "Look (stop me..." was actually the only one with the targets credits. I was so surprised as I had never seen it before, or even knew about it. I remember being so glad that I had taped it.
Many Thanks, mrspeel01, too. It's so interesting! :)
Nice moments, many years ago I first saw the original German titles for Thorson episodes on YouTube - it begins with the opening armour titles and finished as target titles. It remained only to guess whether all Thorson episodes were made in such a way or only some. :)

I liked the way they made their views on the Emma Peel b/w episodes intro. Adds the spirit of criminology, investigations and exciting turns. :D
Of course it's a bit prepares viewers to other Avengers, but the German studio did this approach very exciting.

Oh, I forgot to clarify, mrspeel01, "Look (stop me..." was transmitted with open and final Target titles or only open?

In any case, it's simply super. I suspect, somewhere in the special archives have all seven Thorson episodes with target titles.
Denis
mrspeel01
Thingumajig

Post by mrspeel01 »

Thanks again Denis.

The channel 4 showing was the full targets version. My mind is really hazy on the German showing. I remember I had just turned to the channel just to see which story it was, and the titles were just starting. I believe it was also the full targets version, as I think I would have remembered the version you describe. I wish I had recorded it, but I just watched the episodes as I was curious about the German voices! The version you mention is very interesting!

I also like the German opening for the Rigg B&W. I assume that sequence was devised/produced by the German network, rather than Brian Clemens, who devised the American chessboard sequence.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Cheers - channel 4 transmited version of full targets titles. Really a very rare item.
By the way, when episode Invasion of the Eartmen was transmitted on USA TV on 13 November 1971, version still was with target titles. :wink:
http://steedumbrella.ru/Super8_Private.html

Curious, that Australia, New Zealand and Singapoure transmitted this episode (and also The Curious Case of the Countless Clues and Get-a-Way!) before UK. We can assume that in 1968 there could be transmitted versions with Target titles too. :) UK tranmitted Invasion of the Eartmen for first time only in 1969.

Aha, so seems original German Thorson episodes were in different versions. Interesting.

Yes, I assume that German intro for the Rigg B&W was devised/produced by the German network too. :wink:
Denis
mrspeel01
Thingumajig

Post by mrspeel01 »

Great information Denis. Thank you.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Darren wrote:With the number of directors involved, I wonderful if there were more shots for the armour titles that they didn't use..
Darren

The second day of filming on the opening titles at Tykes Water Lake on the Aldenham Estate was on July 4th and this material was once again directed by Robert Fuest. Of the regular cast only Patrick Macnee was present, presumably to drive his vintage Rolls Royce, which was also on location. When assembling the opening titles, it was obviously thought that this footage was not needed and so it does not appear. There was a steam powered traction engine on location all day presumably for inclusion in the titles, but the lettering ‘not called’ printed beside the vehicle on the daily progress report indicates that it was not used for filming.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

denis rigg wrote:
Happychap 2.0 wrote:Thanks Mike R, Denis and others....

in summation:

John Krish did the wine glass and champagne bottle S5
then Booth did the Targets S6 intro/outro
then Fuest (possible help from Crichton) for Suits of Armor intro
Hough for the outro

is that right?
Robert Fuest (help from Crichton) for Suits of Armor intro. :wink: Although I do not know what exactly Charles Crichton did. :?

Hmm, there still is a good mystery who was the director of the chess sequence. :?
Denis

While directing material for the episode False Witness on Thursday 11 July 1968, Charles Chrichton also directed an insert for the second set of Thorson opening titles that involved an extra and not Linda as she was not called for filming there that day. I think the only part of the opening titles that could be an insert is the close-up shot of Tara (her face is not seen) catching the bouquet of carnations having just come through the pink door. This could well have been done inside a soundstage with the correct lighting.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I voted for targets but I like them both - although at times I dislike them both as they both have failings.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
TrueIndigo
Thingumajig

Post by TrueIndigo »

Retrospectively I like the targets intro because it is very 60's in style and stylized in a similar way to the Season five intro, so the continuity is rewarding for friends of the show. I don't ever remember actually seeing it though when I saw the show first broadcast in the UK, so my personal nostalgia that I associate with Season 6 is the mysterious standing knights version. An English rural setting and the lake at Tykes Water, Tara King running through a doorway as if from another world - what more can you ask while that champagne theme music is running? And that surreal image, of a doorway in a field, has remained with me for decades; I love the audacity of it! Yes, it's mad, possibly meaningless, but Avengerland is a fun game, and this seems to be the entry to it, so come on in.
Spaceship Dispatcher
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Spaceship Dispatcher »

The suits of armour intro is my favourite regardless, so would beat any alternate intros to my vote :)
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I love the door they chose - it appears a few times in the season 6. Lovely thick paneled frames. I know I'm weird but I've always loved doors.:)

I'm sure that John Hough said on the Morning After dvd commentary that he did the bridge running shot!