Tara's Flat

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
ischtar
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by ischtar »

I thought a while about this; could this solve the riddle of the letters and numbers in Tara King’s flat?

http://avengerness.tumblr.com/
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

My head hurts.:)
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

This is a difficult puzzle, however I can imagine that these letters and numbers may mean something actually.
Considering that in some episodes there were references to members of the film crew, and even real events (here especially curious point is episode "Escape in Time": the inscription on the stand "Where is Blake?". Coincidence? As many knows, this makes for a good sense of the hint on George Blake, British spy who worked as a double agent for the Soviet Union, which made his escape on 22 October 1966 from Wormwood Scrubs prison), I can to do some assumptions for OP 21 and NO 22: :wink:

1. These are someones initials and age. Hmm... No one comes to mind from the Avengers team, nevertheless maybe ones of their relatives... or hidden references to important people :roll:

2. The are marks of special documents on studio.

3. These are encrypted abbreviations or reductions and numbers. Anything: "October Premiere 21", "November 22", "No (to) open (on) 22" :lol: (ok, joke), etc

4. These are initials and numbers of addresses (It makes a good feeling in Tara's flat). For example, someone lives on 21 Oriental Place, in Brighton. :wink:
Ha, I can imagine such a conversation in studio, for fun (such things are happening on the set) : :D
One from cast:
- Brian, what is your address?
Brian:
- OK, it is on the wall of Tara's flat near number 22.
:lol:

Hmm, all this must be something... Sherlock Holmes is needed here. :roll: :wink:
Denis
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Re: Tara's Flat

Post by Mona »

Rodders wrote:
highflyingbird wrote:I've always found Tara's flat to be a curious design. There are two doors, both of which seem to lead out into some sort of passageway/landing area, despite being on opposite sides. Why have the high door, and the staircase/fireman's pole, at all, since their only function is as an entrance to the flat, when there's a perfectly serviceable entrance already at ground level? Has the designer of this set ever explained his/her choices? Or does anyone know any real rooms that are actually like this?
I don't think realism is really the point. This is what I wrote about the apartment last year:

Our first glimpse of Tara King’s apartment reveals a set designed for action, from its two separate entrances, its ‘frilly’ white twisting staircase with room to hide underneath, to a fireman’s pole one just knows will be employed on a regular basis. It resembles an indoor adventure playground.

In addition, there is an eclectic collection of aesthetic objects: a pair of spectacle-shaped mirrors, a penny farthing attached to the wall, a post box (drinks cabinet), some bizarre telephones, loud floral curtains with matching sofa, psychedelic stag heads mounted on a pink background, and a collection of daggers. We can already guess that some of these will become ‘active’ props in future episodes. (These accessories would be playfully altered as the season went on, as is the case in Have Guns – Will Haggle with the bizarre, ugly, porcelain heads bearing Tara’s wigs.) Its owner will be less cool and refined than Emma Peel, but younger and funkier, perhaps.
There's little realism to Steed's 3 Stable Mews flat either. He has the front door and then even though his apartment is not at the end of the building, but more in the middle, his kitchen door lets in outside light, instead of leading to the hallway, as it should. (That reminds me of a Doc Martin episode whereby a patient leaves his urine in the bathroom under the staircase and an impossible to exist window showing outside sky changes its color. But, DM episodes have LOADS of total impossibilities like that).

Also, off the living room in the front, to the right of the leather sofa, that room we learn about in a Tara episode would jut incongruously way out of the building, and it doesn't do that when we see the outside of the building.

These oddities exist because I'm sure they never thought fans half a century later would be analyzing all this!

Nonetheless, Tara had a cool apartment, very 60s. The fact that some apartments in London don't come with kitchens astounds me. Truly, truly astounds me. I'm surprised it's even legal.
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Tara's apartment has a kitchen, it's just that, as with Emma Peel's colour one, we never go into it!
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

Rodders wrote:Tara's apartment has a kitchen, it's just that, as with Emma Peel's colour one, we never go into it!
Are you absolutely sure about that? Why does Tara do her cake decorating in the living room if she has a kitchen?
dissolute
The Ministry

Re: Tara's Flat

Post by dissolute »

Mona wrote:The fact that some apartments in London don't come with kitchens astounds me. Truly, truly astounds me. I'm surprised it's even legal.
I think their flats were meant to have kitchens but they never bothered to build the set. Emma's colour flat has that opening from which Steed brings his slap-up feast at the end of "The Winged Avenger" - that's meant to be the kitchen, surely? Tara's is probably meant to be (beyond) downstage - i.e. behind the camera, so we never see it.

Having said that, there ARE flats in the cafe-strewn inner city suburbs of Sydney that don't have kitchens as the tennants are expected to eat out all the time.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

ischtar wrote:I thought a while about this; could this solve the riddle of the letters and numbers in Tara King’s flat?

http://avengerness.tumblr.com/
Intriguing, ischtar! It seems an overly complex idea but you never know it might be it.
I used to work in a building that had two doors at the top of a flight of stairs, one of which had NO on it, as it was the electrical cupboard.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
TrueIndigo
Thingumajig

Post by TrueIndigo »

Having recently been watching the re-runs on The Entertainment Channel, I thought that the matching floral sofa and curtains in Tara's flat, was first seen in series 5's The £50,000 Pound Breakfast (the Litoff penthouse set). It looks the same.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Yes, I believe they are the same - they look much better in Tara's appartment though than they do in Liftof's penthouse.