Emma Peel's Best Fight?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

How weird that when I click on 'Quote' on your message Ian that it takes me to a screen that says 'There is no such post'...
However, yes that's a great scene too! :D
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

DiVicenzo wrote:How weird that when I click on 'Quote' on your message Ian that it takes me to a screen that says 'There is no such post'...
Well that's me, weird :lol: Oh 3 minutes 30 !!
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

Avengerholic wrote:
DiVicenzo wrote:How weird that when I click on 'Quote' on your message Ian that it takes me to a screen that says 'There is no such post'...
Well that's me, weird :lol: Oh 3 minutes 30 !!
No comment! :? Oh, 2 minutes 45!
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Avengerholic wrote:
DiVicenzo wrote:
Avengerholic wrote:Death at Bargain Prices is my all time favourite Avengers episode but I've never got the appeal of that particular scene. I just don't get it !
I'm sorry you don't get the same thrill as me Ian :(
Well the fault is certainly mine Barry, it's a scene that many think is fantastic, I just can't grasp it :roll: Now the scene with Emma having her lunch, that is wonderful ! I could watch it over and over and over again and never get bored :D
Both of those scenes are brilliant. Death at Bargain Prices is a brilliant episode all the way around, one of the absolute best. I always find it amusing whenever one of the Avengers eat, it happens so rarely, and often with a twist (Purdey seems to take all her snacks in Gambit's cars!), and Emma doing half her lines with her mouth full never fails to entertain, grabbing wine glasses from Steed willy-nilly. And the "give me the gun" scene is so wonderfully stylish it's hard not to love it. Emma's so incredibly confident, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that anyone would surrender at the snap of her fingers. Diana looks lovely in that episode, too.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Avengerholic wrote:
DiVicenzo wrote: I'm sorry you don't get the same thrill as me Ian :(
Well the fault is certainly mine Barry, it's a scene that many think is fantastic, I just can't grasp it :roll: Now the scene with Emma having her lunch, that is wonderful ! I could watch it over and over and over again and never get bored :D
Both of those scenes are brilliant. Death at Bargain Prices is a brilliant episode all the way around, one of the absolute best. I always find it amusing whenever one of the Avengers eat, it happens so rarely, and often with a twist (Purdey seems to take all her snacks in Gambit's cars!), and Emma doing half her lines with her mouth full never fails to entertain, grabbing wine glasses from Steed willy-nilly. And the "give me the gun" scene is so wonderfully stylish it's hard not to love it. Emma's so incredibly confident, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that anyone would surrender at the snap of her fingers. Diana looks lovely in that episode, too.
Here, bloody here!
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

The Riviere Kid wrote:
VA_Avenger wrote:I'm not sure there was a "good" fight by Emma. For all the hype about her studying gung-fu, Diana pretty much had zero technique, and if she ever saw the inside of a kwoon, I would be much surprised. Besides, her techniques (such as they were) were more of a karate style than a wushu (gung-fu) style.

Tara, on the other hand had a pretty decent tomoe-nage. She must have - as she used it in virtually every fight scene.

Not that it's a bad thing. The "fights" were pretty much choreographed in the same tongue-in-cheek style of the series.
Do you do martial arts yourself? :)

I like the fight in Death at Bargain Prices.

Agreed about Tara and tomoenage - except in reality I think she'd have ended up with some of those people flat on her face!

I think Honor was the only one who received any special training, gaining a brown belt in Judo. I don't know how long she practiced it, but I'd be surprised if she managed to attain a brown belt in the time she was playing Mrs Gale.
Yep. Twenty-five years in Taekwondo, 20 as an instructor, plus 15 years in Hapkido and some dabbling in Judo.

Honor Blackman was a rather accomplished Judo-ka, as demonstrated in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_QbsiyphLs

She shows a very nice ashi garuma (leg wheel) and her trademark tomoe nage (circle throw). However, I like the gentle kesa gatame she puts on the interviewer. She held back because he didn't know how to fall.

I should qualify my original post. There were virtually no good fights from a realism standpoint, but many from an entertainment standpoint.
<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
The Riviere Kid
Nutshell

Post by The Riviere Kid »

VA_Avenger wrote:
The Riviere Kid wrote:
VA_Avenger wrote:I'm not sure there was a "good" fight by Emma. For all the hype about her studying gung-fu, Diana pretty much had zero technique, and if she ever saw the inside of a kwoon, I would be much surprised. Besides, her techniques (such as they were) were more of a karate style than a wushu (gung-fu) style.

Tara, on the other hand had a pretty decent tomoe-nage. She must have - as she used it in virtually every fight scene.

Not that it's a bad thing. The "fights" were pretty much choreographed in the same tongue-in-cheek style of the series.
Do you do martial arts yourself? :)

I like the fight in Death at Bargain Prices.

Agreed about Tara and tomoenage - except in reality I think she'd have ended up with some of those people flat on her face!

I think Honor was the only one who received any special training, gaining a brown belt in Judo. I don't know how long she practiced it, but I'd be surprised if she managed to attain a brown belt in the time she was playing Mrs Gale.
Yep. Twenty-five years in Taekwondo, 20 as an instructor, plus 15 years in Hapkido and some dabbling in Judo.

Honor Blackman was a rather accomplished Judo-ka, as demonstrated in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_QbsiyphLs

She shows a very nice ashi garuma (leg wheel) and her trademark tomoe nage (circle throw). However, I like the gentle kesa gatame she puts on the interviewer. She held back because he didn't know how to fall.

I should qualify my original post. There were virtually no good fights from a realism standpoint, but many from an entertainment standpoint.
He wouldn't need to know how to fall for kesa gatame - he was already on the floor for a scarf hold :)

Honor attained brown belt...

I can't get the video to play on this computer, but I've seen it before. Doesn't she go something like Ogoshi on the reporter?
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

What I was getting at was that she put him down pretty easily in order to apply the scarf hold. The throw was so bollixed up because he didn't know how to fall that I couldn't put a name on it. She didn't get enough hip in to it for any of the goshi variations. She basically just laid him down. However, I watched it again. I guess with a stretch and an untrained tori with no ukemi skills, you could call it a marginal ogoshi.
<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
The Riviere Kid
Nutshell

Post by The Riviere Kid »

VA_Avenger wrote:What I was getting at was that she put him down pretty easily in order to apply the scarf hold. The throw was so bollixed up because he didn't know how to fall that I couldn't put a name on it. She didn't get enough hip in to it for any of the goshi variations. She basically just laid him down. However, I watched it again. I guess with a stretch and an untrained tori with no ukemi skills, you could call it a marginal ogoshi.
I know what you were getting at - hence with a smilie. You're far more experienced than I, so I wouldn't question... :)

I've had a look at the video now, and the move she does looks like a very gentle attempt of one we're taught in the BJC (which I can't remember the name of as they've just changed the names on the syllabus!) where you lift the uke against your hip (like half an Ogoshi) and drop them to the ground.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Someone should start a conspiracy theory why Diana gets a couple of good fights in The Forget-Me-Knot while poor Linda has only the brick-in-the-handbag gag.

I was idly looking up YouTube vids where Brian (pants on fire) Clemens himself says he thought up the whole idea that Tara's fighting technique should be less karate and more handbag - "years before Margaret Thatcher".
THE AVENGERS GALLERY