Epic

Post by Rhonda »

2 for me
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Excellent episode. 9/10 from me. Love the classy way Purdey was rescued at the end. Rich.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Although it takes a while to really get going, I've grown to really love this episode. When it was repeated in 1996 on BBC2 I was getting bored of the repeats so didn't pay much attention to it but since the DVD I've grown to appreciate it.

It's such a good episode for Purdey and Gambit. They are the stars of this episode. It's really quite brutal and has great tension and a sense of a danger which makes the winning of our heroes even better. I love their escape from the prison, the really not pc showing some leg but it's funny.

The whole minefield sequence is so well shot and performed. Gambits horror at Purdey's predicament is so well played. He's terrified for her and she can't hear him properly. She gets angry at his firing then when he hits a mine she realises. It's a great sequence.

And of course it finishes with what would have made a great champagne commercial - Steed arrives by helicopter and drops a glass and bottle for her in the ladder. She looks so great in the red dress.

9/10
shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Red Dress !

Post by shaunodan »

How often was Purdey photographed in the red dress ...? Any photos of her wearing the long brown boots worn in this episode...not scans from episode ?
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Enjoy the plot itself, which is very clever, and the excellent secondary characters, particularly John Castle. Far too much Gambit/Purdey for my taste. Steed seems to mostly sit at home (until, of course, he saves the day, something which Gambit appears incapable of doing) - I'm more and more convinced that Macnee had a reason to gripe about being "Uncle Steed". I was bored by the action nearing the end, which goes on for far too long, and the constant reversing of positions between Gambit and "Mad Jack." One of those episodes that, for me, has a lot of potential and not that much follow-through.
Charlie Parker
Little Wonder

Post by Charlie Parker »

Lhbizness wrote:Enjoy the plot itself, which is very clever, and the excellent secondary characters, particularly John Castle. Far too much Gambit/Purdey for my taste. Steed seems to mostly sit at home (until, of course, he saves the day, something which Gambit appears incapable of doing) - I'm more and more convinced that Macnee had a reason to gripe about being "Uncle Steed". I was bored by the action nearing the end, which goes on for far too long, and the constant reversing of positions between Gambit and "Mad Jack." One of those episodes that, for me, has a lot of potential and not that much follow-through.
I think this is a strong episode for Gambit showing him to be quite resourceful on his own, but it is a pity he needs uncle Steed to come and fix everything up for him. I think this is the point when the writer's realised they didn't know what to do with Gambit and belittled him into embarrassing comedy sidekick.
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Charlie Parker wrote:
Lhbizness wrote:Enjoy the plot itself, which is very clever, and the excellent secondary characters, particularly John Castle. Far too much Gambit/Purdey for my taste. Steed seems to mostly sit at home (until, of course, he saves the day, something which Gambit appears incapable of doing) - I'm more and more convinced that Macnee had a reason to gripe about being "Uncle Steed". I was bored by the action nearing the end, which goes on for far too long, and the constant reversing of positions between Gambit and "Mad Jack." One of those episodes that, for me, has a lot of potential and not that much follow-through.
I think this is a strong episode for Gambit showing him to be quite resourceful on his own, but it is a pity he needs uncle Steed to come and fix everything up for him. I think this is the point when the writer's realised they didn't know what to do with Gambit and belittled him into embarrassing comedy sidekick.
The best TNA episodes are the ones that strike a balance between their three leads and keep each in focus. I'll admittedly give more leeway to episodes that feature Steed front and center vs. ones that feature Gambit, just because I find Steed more appealing. Steed in this one does appear to be the guy who just hangs out in the background and then swoops in - literally - to save the day. It would have been better for all the characters if they'd brought his profile up a bit more and then given them all a hand in the climax.
Lee
Little Wonder

Post by Lee »

The first of two episodes of TNA I've watched this week.

This one was, for me, the more enjoyable of the two.

Interesting setting. I like the idea of the rouge unit and the investigating. The relationship between Gambit and Purdey works well, and they both play their parts in a lively and interesting way. Purdey giving the solders knock down in the pub must have been just the right turn-on for some of them. Gambit plays the tough man well - not the only episode where he has to do this.

I enjoyed Steed's conversation with the army captain (can't remember his rank) when all the bombs and attacks were flying around him. Rather reminded me of his meeting with the general in Game. However, points are lost because of the lack of Steed's involvement with the overall plot.

All in all, and enjoyable 50 minutes.

I gave it a 7.
You really must have a word with that cleaning lady....